2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21

According to the website one lodge is available Thursday and a different one is available Friday. Everything else is booked up that weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By "they're all booked", I meant all the cheaper, small cabins are all booked...once they went over $100 a night, I quit looking lol

I just checked it out. I see what you mean. I will stick to the tent. Stay in a nice lodge on Thur-Fri, then go to a tent on Sat would be a bummer mentally. lol
As long as I can make coffee in the morning, a clean place to sit & read the news before a hot shower, I'm good for the day. :D
I will bring a tent heater just in case the night temps, take a dive up in the Mountains.

Rig is going to be packed!! Glad I just got a new set of leaf springs & shackles installed. Now to get the valve cover gaskets done, and a little something special installed. :shifty:

You're welcome to come by our site for coffee anytime! I'll be sure to have the pot brewing over the fire every morning...

Other than some minor bodywork I've been meaning to do for quite some time now, I've been thinking all day of what I really need to do to the truck in preparation for this trip and other off-road adventures....are rock sliders something I should really be thinking about? Or a winch?

Just me thinking out loud....

Sweet! I will take you up on the coffee offer! One less thing to pack! Thanks!! I am thinking of either getting a 12v fridge, or trying one of them new Ozark trails coolers. They are a Yeti Knock off, for way way cheaper, but look the same. Still need to read the reviews on them.

Sliders & a winch Both, would be a wise investment, and this place looks like you will use them. My rig would look like Jacks if I didn't have sliders. lol

I would also add the front pumkin skid from Brian1, and a good 3/8" 8.8 steel plate type cover. I use RuffStuffs cover. That thing is made from the side of a tank I think. lol The other skid to beef up on the cheap is the T-case skid. Weld a 2nd stock skid onto the one you have now. Pick n pulls sell em for a few bucks.

...I might actually have a spare t-case skid somewhere....guess I got some fabricating to do! :D

Tested the ex last weekend and no more feeling like we're gonna tip over all the time, but guess I need to change the front axle u joints to spicer because I broke one just turning in the mud. Replaced it out there with a cheap oreilly joint that I'm sure won't last long...... Almost ready...

Caleb, maybe you want to wait to do that body work!

Haha, well the addition of something that is in the process of being built will save the rockers, so I may as well still take care of those!

Also, we're more of a maybe now....we're finishing our taxes (yes, we've procrastinated), and thanks to schools (wife is a substitute teacher) not taking out Federal taxes and Federal Healthcare (which my wife is under because we missed the deadline for her to be under my insurance after we got married), our taxes went from us receiving $1200 to owing $350.........gimme about a week or so and I'll have a better idea.....

Caleb, does this mean I need to pack the coffee? Man, I hope not, and you figure out a way to make this happen.

(Start a go fund me page!)
Plus 2!

Caleb, does this mean I need to pack the coffee? Man, I hope not, and you figure out a way to make this happen.

(Start a go fund me page!)

I hope as well that we can make it! Been looking forward to it and talking about for so long now that it'll be a real bummer if we can't...

Looking over our finances again (seriously don't know how almost $800 in taxes due didn't absolutely drain us), figuring out what the wifey is making as a long-term substitute teacher and taking into account what I generally make, I believe we're still gonna be able to make this trip...might be tight, but we've been looking forward to this for some time now, it's close for us, and I haven't gone wheeling since Moab 2016...

Which brings me to a question...anyone that's tent-camping this thing, did you have to make reservations? And anyone that's been to the area, we wouldn't have to pack up everything everyday, correct?

Just trying to tie down some details...

I believe we're still gonna be able to make this trip...

Which brings me to a question...anyone that's tent-camping this thing, did you have to make reservations? And anyone that's been to the area, we wouldn't have to pack up everything everyday, correct?

That's great news!

Yeah, better make reservations for tent camping. This will let them know when your arriving & leaving. Once you set up camp, you won't have to pack up until the day you leave.

Yea, that is great news! Dam IRS trying to break Our back! I have to do so much side work to stay afloat it's rediculous!

Getting real close guys! What is going on with you and this trip? It's been way to quiet, and no traffic here, so thought a little update from me might help morale. lol

One of my group attending is volunteering to help make a big dinner for all interested. He want's to know, what you guys think of doing a seafood boil one night? This is a traditional New Orleans style dinner. Shrimp (instead of crawdads) and veggies, and cooked potatoes laid out on paper covered tables. They have stocked motor homes and are bringing whats needed to cook this, but the amounts of food is in question. Please post up if your interested asap! We will share the food items need bought between us.Thank you.

Bad News:

A major major "go better goodie" I ordered weeks ago, was due to arrive about 10 days before the meet. I was hopeful I could get it installed in time. Was told it got pushed back, and won't arrive until a week later then expected. There goes a bunch of my fun factor. :censored:

Good news:

Another major part I ordered did arrive, but needs some tweaking to work, and some good looks labor still. I will have this part installed in time.

Work done so far for this meet:

New leaf packs, and U-bolt skids are installed. New fuel pump & fuel line repair done, from rats with bushy tails being evil. New Syn rope installed in the winch. New E-track straps for the spare tie down installed. Heavier gauge wire, relay, and fuse installed for the rear air pump. Dr seat power is back.

Trying to decide on which Gel cell battery to get. :dunno: With all the accessories, and the winch, I want something good and dependable.

Lets hear from the rest of you!

I would love to join you guys on this one, but it won't be until the last minute that I'll know whether or not I can afford the trip. It's been a crazy year already:banghead:

Rick, that would be awesome to see you out this way!

Emailed the campground, and they said they don't reserve tent sites, but they have never run out...so that's good!

Work on the Ex for this trip is gonna come down to the minute I believe...with work, EMS coverage and it now being spring turkey season, progress has been slow. Just broke out the hammers tonight to do some work before I finish some work (pics to come of the new addition to the rig).

Gman, that sounds interesting...I'm down for it! Not sure about my wife though....no telling what foods she'll like/dislike by then (yeah, it's only 3 more weeks.....)

Just to be clear, is everyone staying at the Harlan County Campground, or are a few staying at a hotel somewhere? And when is everyone arriving? As close as it is, I've debated just leaving Thursday evening so we have all of Friday available...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back