Maximum Torque through Stock 4WD/AWD system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maximum Torque through Stock 4WD/AWD system?

Had a crazy thought for an EV conversion project... to find an AWD or 4wd Explorer with a busted engine, then get an EV West kit. Trouble is.... That kit can put out 1000 lb-ft of torque, or in layman terms, over 3x the 4th gen v8.

I could obviously limit that with varied power input, or use a less powerful motor set, but I'm wondering how close I can get to that number without shredding more than tires.

Anyone else pushing the torque limits of the AWD or 4WD system with conventional engines? Are there upgrades that are easy and common in order to beef these up?

Edited to expand to 4WD as well. I am not dead set on AWD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick search says the chevy guys use a nv149 over 1500 hp
What about the rest of the driveline? I'm not too worried about the frame, as it can be gusseted and reinforced... a lot more easily than a unibody can

My main areas of concern are going to be the driveline and suspension. I think it would be a good idea to get as low as I can just because of the added weight of all the batteries this will need, and beefier springs will be needed since I'll be adding about 1000lb of battery to the car and not removing 1000lb of other stuff

I'm looking at the 3rd or 4th gen as a starting point mostly because they are 4W independent suspension - I know solid axles can generally handle more torque than independent, but I like the handling of the IFS/IRS, especially if it's lower to the ground... this will not be an off-road targeted project, if it happens.

4 motors, 1 at each stub shaft or hub, with a dual speed controller to kick the front motors in when rear wheels spin occurs--would eliminate the need for a driveline or transfer case.

or you could use 2 motors to direct drive the differential yokes ( pinions) , which also eliminates a driveline.

4 motors, 1 at each stub shaft or hub, with a dual speed controller to kick the front motors in when rear wheels spin occurs--would eliminate the need for a driveline or transfer case.

or you could use 2 motors to direct drive the differential yokes ( pinions) , which also eliminates a driveline.
I'll admit that I used to think this way, but the economics of it is a lot better to try to adapt the stock driveline than to manufacture unique components - replacements are more readily available, the cost of components is lower... etc... If it can handle it.

The 4R70W is a much stronger transmission, and for electric motors, there isn't a big need for more and more gears(5R and 6R later models).

The 3rd and 4th numbers of the trans model is 10% of the torque rating. Thus the 4R70W is rated to 700lbsft of torque. The 5R100 trans is the bigger trans used in dualie's, that should handle big torque easily. The 4WD transfer cases are stronger than the AWD units, I'd aim for those, the A4WD being the automatic TOD versions.

The 4R70W is a much stronger transmission, and for electric motors, there isn't a big need for more and more gears(5R and 6R later models).

The 3rd and 4th numbers of the trans model is 10% of the torque rating. Thus the 4R70W is rated to 700lbsft of torque. The 5R100 trans is the bigger trans used in dualie's, that should handle big torque easily. The 4WD transfer cases are stronger than the AWD units, I'd aim for those, the A4WD being the automatic TOD versions.
The trans wouldn't be coming along, just the xfer case, driveshafts and axles, if they can handle it... which it's starting to look like not.

That kind of massive torque would kill the joints of the axles and driveshafts. Those are your weakest links. I think Jon is right, you'd have to place motors on each wheel hub, or else drop the torque figures for the axles etc.

Back