Power Liftgate Issues | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate Issues

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The forum has a very handy 'Search' feature members are urged to use to check for threads on various topics. Yours was merged with this one. Do you have the foot operated liftgate? If so it may have detected movement while you were loading. If not, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. If you have the foot activated option then perhaps wait to see if it happens again.

Peter
I have this same issue. And I have a foot-operated lift gate. This is not just a minor annoyance, it is a safety issue. When I have my hands full with groceries walking toward the SUV, I swipe my foot, and the gate opens as designed. I then proceed to load the groceries into the cargo area (key FOB still in my pocket--WHY WOULDN'T IT BE??!!). Then the gate closes on my head. ALMOST EVERY TIME.

I am flabbergasted that FORD engineers have not addressed this issue with a software disable feature. I haven't found one yet, after many searches. I paid tens of thousands of dollars for this vehicle, and the only disable I have found is to disable the auto-open/close entirely. Surely somebody from FORD is listening, because I'm not the only one. To suggest that I first remove the FOB from my pocket before unloading my groceries to the cargo area is absurd--this totally voids the convenience of the foot-swipe lift-gate feature.

I hope someone has a fix for this other than putting duct tape over a sensor. This has been more than frustrating, and for those that say "Don't worry, the gate is so sensitive it will auto-reverse with the slightest bump," you don't know what it's like to hear that closing beep while you're unloading 7 bags at once: it freaks you the hell out. And I can assure you that it is not that sensitive. Scares me to think what would happen if my 5-year old were in the vicinity of this "sensitive" gate during auto-close "feature."

Thanks if you have suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 2016 Explorer Limited. Today my car was locked, I pushed the button on the lift gate handle to open and the liftgate came up. In the middle of loading groceries it randomly closed on me. Knocked me pretty good in the head! Has anybody else experienced this? This vehicle has 17,000 miles on it.
Sorry KareBear00, I should have replied to you, instead I replied to another post. See below for my experience:

1. I have this same issue. And I have a foot-operated lift gate. This is not just a minor annoyance, it is a safety issue. When I have my hands full with groceries walking toward the SUV, I swipe my foot, and the gate opens as designed. I then proceed to load the groceries into the cargo area (key FOB still in my pocket--WHY WOULDN'T IT BE??!!). Then the gate closes on my head. ALMOST EVERY TIME.

I am flabbergasted that FORD engineers have not addressed this issue with a software disable feature. I haven't found one yet, after many searches. I paid tens of thousands of dollars for this vehicle, and the only disable I have found is to disable the auto-open/close entirely. Surely somebody from FORD is listening, because I'm not the only one. To suggest that I first remove the FOB from my pocket before unloading my groceries to the cargo area is absurd--this totally voids the convenience of the foot-swipe lift-gate feature.

I hope someone has a fix for this other than putting duct tape over a sensor. This has been more than frustrating, and for those that say "Don't worry, the gate is so sensitive it will auto-reverse with the slightest bump," you don't know what it's like to hear that closing beep while you're unloading 7 bags at once: it freaks you the hell out. And I can assure you that it is not that sensitive. Scares me to think what would happen if my 5-year old were in the vicinity of this "sensitive" gate during auto-close "feature."

Thanks if you have suggestions.

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
Apparently the only communications with Ford is through Ford Social. Ford does not monitor this site. I have loaded items into the cargo area several times and have not encountered the liftgate issue. Do you have the factory installed tow package?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
Apparently the only communications with Ford is through Ford Social. Ford does not monitor this site. I have loaded items into the cargo area several times and have not encountered the liftgate issue. Do you have the factory installed tow package?

Peter
Thanks for the reply Peter. I realize FORD is not monitoring officially, but there are enough engineers out there that at least one may be listening, or someone has an idea of how to assist.

I do not have the factory installed tow package. I am glad this has not been a problem for you, but for me, I may just disable the gate altogether. I will ask about this next dealer visit, but my hopes are not high as to a reasonable solution.

I'll update after said visit, and hope to aid anyone with the same problem.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Peter. I realize FORD is not monitoring officially, but there are enough engineers out there that at least one may be listening, or someone has an idea of how to assist.

I do not have the factory installed tow package. I am glad this has not been a problem for you, but for me, I may just disable the gate altogether. I will ask about this next dealer visit, but my hopes are not high as to a reasonable solution.

I'll update after said visit, and hope to aid anyone with the same problem.

Thanks again.
I wonder if just the foot activation feature can be disabled by Forscan. If so, then the dealer should also be able to do it.

I wonder if just the foot activation feature can be disabled by Forscan. If so, then the dealer should also be able to do it.

Not currently an option that the developers have coded in.

....... I may just disable the gate altogether. .......
Not sure if that is even possible. I went into the Liftgate settings on mine and all I saw was an option to 'Disable switch'. All that seemed to do was disable the switch on the liftgate and the power opening when you press the button on the liftgate by the license plate. I was still able to use the foot swipe and the button on the dash to open it.

Peter

You can unplug the sensor under the bumper, however, you need to seal both ends of the connector off to keep corrosion from entering.

I'm not really a car person but my grandmother bought a used 2013 explorer limited last october and it seemed perfect but a few problems have cropped up, mainly with the rear hatch/door. Whenever it opens up and gets almost all the way up, it starts dinging and then closes almost all the way, only to open up and repeat the process. Now it has stopped responding to the buttons and has to be opened and closed manually. Also when it opens up, it drops/sags about a foot. Thought it was the height settings but changing them did nothing- still sags down about a foot when it's open. Many a time my grandmother and I got bumped in the head, pretty irritating. Is there any quick fix for this or will she need to take it in to be fixed? Also there is an occasional burning plastic smell in the car, used to be worse but now only happens like clockwork whenever she stops at the mailbox.

Take it in for an assessment. It shouldn't be doing that so something is amiss.

There are threads on this exact issue. Use the search function and see if you can find it (I'm mobile at the moment).

I believe it is the shock that has given out causing it to want to close since it can't support the weight of the tailgate.

I'm not really a car person but my grandmother bought a used 2013 explorer limited last october and it seemed perfect but a few problems have cropped up, mainly with the rear hatch/door. Whenever it opens up and gets almost all the way up, it starts dinging and then closes almost all the way, only to open up and repeat the process. Now it has stopped responding to the buttons and has to be opened and closed manually. Also when it opens up, it drops/sags about a foot. Thought it was the height settings but changing them did nothing- still sags down about a foot when it's open. Many a time my grandmother and I got bumped in the head, pretty irritating. Is there any quick fix for this or will she need to take it in to be fixed? Also there is an occasional burning plastic smell in the car, used to be worse but now only happens like clockwork whenever she stops at the mailbox.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right). Have you tried the Liftgate Reset procedure that is mentioned in the Owner's Manual? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/power-liftgate-problems.453118/#post-3576212
If that doesn't work then it could possibly be that the issue that is shown in the video in post #17. Good luck.

Peter

Hi new here I have a 2015 Ford Explorer XLT. Our rear lifting door is opening all the way then giving a constant beeping alarm. I think the shock on the right, looking at the back of the car, is giving out and not holding like it used too. I can't seem to find the part online. Has anyone had this issue and if so where did you order the replacement from?

I have included a picture of the shock arm for the power lift that I'm referring too, thanks!

IMG_20170419_190714.jpg

Hi new here I have a 2015 Ford Explorer XLT. Our rear lifting door is opening all the way then giving a constant beeping alarm. I think the shock on the right, looking at the back of the car, is giving out and not holding like it used too. I can't seem to find the part online. Has anyone had this issue and if so where did you order the replacement from?
Your thread has been merged with this thread found using the handy 'Search' feature in the upper right.

Can someone point me to where the foot-sensor is located? And what it looks like?
(long story... wont take it to dealer...)
2016 Explorer Sport - Want to diagnose this myself, why it does not open the liftgate.

Can someone point me to where the foot-sensor is located? And what it looks like?
(long story... wont take it to dealer...)
2016 Explorer Sport - Want to diagnose this myself, why it does not open the liftgate.
Take a look at this post and a few that follow it. They may be of some help, or not.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...e-to-open-tailgate.437833/reply&quote=3564536
Have you had any success at all? Sometimes I have to swipe my foot a couple times. More so when attempting to close it.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took it in for repair, and the dealer told me there is a TSB on this. I didn't see one when I was looking, but apparently there's one out there.

Back