Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 115 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
The only I know is that changing gasoline brands can affect the 'sulphur' or 'rotten egg' smell since there is no regulation in the amount of sulphur that can be contained in the gasoline so different brands may have different levels. I agree though, that I can't see how it would affect the exhaust smell which should be different.

Peter

The US Refiner and Importer Tier 3 sulfur standards that began on January 1, 2017, limit sulfur to 10 parts per million on an annual average basis for gasoline. Before January 1, 2017, the limit of sulfur was 30 parts per million on an annual average basis.

The rotten egg smell is byproduct of combustion, hydrogen sulfide.

Remember too that the exhaust odor that may enter the passenger compartment of an Explorer happens when it is driven at wide open throttle and with the internal ventilation on recirculate. So, on open throttle it is highly likely that the combustion of fuel is not complete and that could result in the smell of hydrocarbons, sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, nitrogen oxides, etc. Plus I’m not sure if this exhaust that enters the cabin is before or after being treated by the catalytic converter, but again since the combustion is not complete there are plenty of possibilities associated with pollutant odors, more than likely a mix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not consider this a good thing, because changing the fuel or fuel source should not have any effect on physically changing your vehicle to where now all of the sudden there is no exhaust leak into your cabin. What you have done is brought up a very good point though, some owners may have no idea as to whether they have an exhaust leak into their cabin or not because of the type of fuel they use.

More specifically, carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas, so unless another exhaust constituent like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc., is giving you an indication via an odor, you would never know you have an exhaust leak into your cabin.

The dealer checked the entire exhaust system and couldn't find any leaks.

The dealer checked the entire exhaust system and couldn't find any leaks.

That's great news, but I wonder what you were experiencing previously:

Worse and worse, my Explorer seems to be afflicted with this WOT issue. I'm taking it to NC in 2 weeks from NY, need to get this fixed fast or my vacation will be axed...

Anyone getting it with the 2.3L?

I have no idea. I was dead set to believing I smelled the same thing everyone else was.

I have a really good relationship with my tech as well, so I don't for a second believe they were placating me...

Hey guys. New to this forum, pretty active on an F150 one, and maybe here soon :) My wife is expecting our first child in a few months, and the explorer is at the top of the list to replace her 2007 mercury Milan.... Except for this issue.

I admit I didn't read all 92 pages. (I am working on it though)

So a few questions...

1. Has this been fixed on the 17s? (doesn't seem so)

2. Does it affect all of them? (again, doesn't seem to)

3. Is there a way to make this happen during the test drive? (hard acceleration with the AC set to recirculate?)

Thanks for the help. I'll also be looking for other things to look at during the vehicle inspection, but this is kind of the deal breaker if it puts toxic fumes into the cabin where my wife and child will be.

BTW, I am considering the 2.3. I have the 2.7 in my F150 and love it.

I tried (hard acceleration), but I haven't been able to duplicate that odor.

Like I stated before, I have no issues with any gas fumes inside the cabin. Is there a way to tell if it's just Ecoboost engines, or any model, or a particular section of the country? Or if the air recirculation is on or off at the time of the smell?

Hey guys. New to this forum, pretty active on an F150 one, and maybe here soon :) My wife is expecting our first child in a few months, and the explorer is at the top of the list to replace her 2007 mercury Milan.... Except for this issue.

I admit I didn't read all 92 pages. (I am working on it though)

So a few questions...

1. Has this been fixed on the 17s? (doesn't seem so)

2. Does it affect all of them? (again, doesn't seem to)

3. Is there a way to make this happen during the test drive? (hard acceleration with the AC set to recirculate?)

Thanks for the help. I'll also be looking for other things to look at during the vehicle inspection, but this is kind of the deal breaker if it puts toxic fumes into the cabin where my wife and child will be.

BTW, I am considering the 2.3. I have the 2.7 in my F150 and love it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I had a 2011 and now have a 2017 Platinum and have not had that smell issue. Many that do have it have noticed it as pointed out in #3.
There have been posts here about the 2.3L Ecoboost not being powerful enough for the Explorer. Here is one thread I found using the 'Search' feature (upper right). http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2-3l-ecoboost-or-na-3-5l.432221/
I think the best thing would be to test drive the models with the different engines to see for yourself which is preferable to you. Good luck.

Peter

Maybe now that the "smell" has almost killed a police officer, something might get done about this for those of you that have the problem. The Henderson police dept had complained about the smell to Ford ever since getting their P.I.'s. These are 2016 models. My 2011 still does not have this problem.

http://klfy.com/2017/05/10/carbon-m...o-be-cause-of-henderson-police-officer-crash/

This is interesting to say the least, because it is very likely that police drive these Explorers at wide open throttle and with the internal ventilation on recirculate. In the video they also said there have been over 100 complaints, maybe it was 111 complaints, can't recall exactly, from 2011-2015 Explorer owners. Lastly they've installed CO monitors in their Explorer fleet to insure that this does not happen again.

As I've said before, carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas, so unless another exhaust constituent like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc., is giving you an indication via an odor, you would never know you have an exhaust leak into your cabin.

This is interesting to say the least, because it is very likely that police drive these Explorers at wide open throttle and with the internal ventilation on recirculate. In the video they also said there have been over 100 complaints, maybe it was 111 complaints, can't recall exactly, from 2011-2015 Explorer owners. Lastly they've installed CO monitors in their Explorer fleet to insure that this does not happen again.

As I've said before, carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas, so unless another exhaust constituent like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc., is giving you an indication via an odor, you would never know you have an exhaust leak into your cabin.

If it's not "exhaust" fumes, then what else would it be?

If it's not "exhaust" fumes, then what else would it be?

I'm not saying that it's not exhaust fumes, I believe the source is exhaust fumes. I'm simply saying that unless you smell another pollutant in the exhaust like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc. you would not know if carbon monoxide is entering the cabin because it is an odorless gas. The Henderson police force has gone one step beyond this and installed carbon monoxide detectors in their entire fleet of Explorers to ensure they know if this odorless gas is entering the cabin or not.

Everyone always says "with recirculate on". Is this something that everyone truly experiences (only with recirculate on) or do they just assume that's the case because that's what some source said it should be?

I'm asking a genuine question because in my situation this is absolutely not the case. I've had a 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD for 4 years now and I have had the exhaust odor since day 1. I had the first TSB done a few months ago and the problem persisted and seemed even worse. I had the 2nd TSB done recently (where I believe they replace the exhaust system) and the problem is still there.

I've probably put my a/c on recirculate less than 5 times in the 4 years I've owned the truck and the exhaust smell is often. I can't say for sure that it doesn't happen *also when in recirculate, I'm just saying it definitely happens when it's not in recirculate mode.

FWIW, my exhaust smell problem has always been primarily when I come to a complete stop (usually at a traffic light) after either accelerating hard, driving at a faster speed i.e. interstate, or when pulling a trailer. Basically it seems if the engine works a bit harder then the smell will be strong when I stop at a light.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've had it 'fixed' twice now and it's definitely still there. On the class action card it says if I don't do anything then I'm accepting the agreement of the class action case and I'll get a whopping $150 or something and that I'm no longer allowed any further legal action. How can I get excluded from legal action if I don't do anything?

Another note-I do have a CO detector in my truck now but it has never gone off.

Everyone always says "with recirculate on". Is this something that everyone truly experiences (only with recirculate on) or do they just assume that's the case because that's what some source said it should be?

I'm asking a genuine question because in my situation this is absolutely not the case. I've had a 2013 Explorer Limited 4WD for 4 years now and I have had the exhaust odor since day 1. I had the first TSB done a few months ago and the problem persisted and seemed even worse. I had the 2nd TSB done recently (where I believe they replace the exhaust system) and the problem is still there.

You are correct, I am quoting the language in the settlement vs other conditions that some owners say triggers exhaust coming into the cabin. I think the problem or how or why it occurs is semi complex and/or an expensive fix, or there would have been a simple recall rather than a settlement.

On the other hand, from the settlement notice "Ford denies all allegations of wrongdoing asserted, including that the Class Vehicles are defective and that Ford is liable to any buyer, lessee, or operator of the Class Vehicles under any legal claim. Nonetheless, Ford has agreed to settle the Litigation by providing the benefits described in the Notice."

I'm willing to bet the next design will have mitigated this problem as well as many other issues that have been brought up in this forum.

I have had my 2016 3.5L v6 for about a month now. Took it WOT from a stop one time, vent system was not set to re-circulate and after about 10 seconds a horrible smell filled the cabin, even my 5 year old in the back seat asked what that smell was. I am just reserved to not take it WOT any more.

Welcome to the Forum EricB260.:wave:

Peter

I rarely run WOT, and even less often have recirculate on, but the last two days, I've done both and had the exhaust smell in the cabin. It seems, at least for me, that it being hot out contributes, because I've done this before trying to determine if I have this issue or not.

I've probably put my a/c on recirculate less than 5 times in the 4 years I've owned the truck and the exhaust smell is often. I can't say for sure that it doesn't happen *also when in recirculate, I'm just saying it definitely happens when it's not in recirculate mode.

FWIW, my exhaust smell problem has always been primarily when I come to a complete stop (usually at a traffic light) after either accelerating hard, driving at a faster speed i.e. interstate, or when pulling a trailer. Basically it seems if the engine works a bit harder then the smell will be strong when I stop at a light.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've had it 'fixed' twice now and it's definitely still there. On the class action card it says if I don't do anything then I'm accepting the agreement of the class action case and I'll get a whopping $150 or something and that I'm no longer allowed any further legal action. How can I get excluded from legal action if I don't do anything?

Another note-I do have a CO detector in my truck now but it has never gone off.

Same here. My experiences are the same. It's going in Monday for that exhaust update in the TSB. Can you please send me a link to the carbon monoxide detector you purchased?

>>>Welcome to the Forum EricB260.:wave: e
Peter

Thanks Peter.

>>>>I have had my 2016 3.5L v6 for about a month now. Took it WOT from a stop one time, vent system was not set to re-circulate and after about 10 seconds a horrible smell filled the cabin, even my 5 year old in the back seat asked what that smell was. I am just reserved to not take it WOT any more.

Summers, keep in mind that if you have this problem it's not only isolated to wide open throttle. It's just that wide open throttle is the easiest way to reproduce the problem. This goes back to my last post about the "only with recirculate on " verbiage. I think it's the same with "only with wide open throttle". That is just how the lawsuit and TSBs are worded so it makes it sound as if that's the only way the problems are present. My problem is basically whenever I drive on the interstate , especially at 60MPH+, and then come to a complete stop. The problem is always pretty prominent when I pull a trailer. So it seems to be whenever the engine is working harder, not just WOT.

>>>>Same here. My experiences are the same. It's going in Monday for that exhaust update in the TSB. Can you please send me a link to the carbon monoxide detector you purchased?

CommandPresence, I just bought a regular household CO detector at Target or somewhere and left it in the truck. It has never gone off.

The thing that worries me though is if I'm consistently smelling fumes then that means myself and my family are being consistently exposed to fumes. It may not have enough CO in it to trigger the detector or it may have none at all. It may not have enough of anything to create a *measurable amount of something enough to prove that it is causing harm. But just because you can't prove something doesn't mean there's not a problem and that it's not slowly harming us. Simply put, if we're smelling something then we're being exposed to something unhealthy/likely toxic even if it's a small amount. They can say all they want that "these fumes aren't harmful" but I guarantee you if the CEO of Ford drives a Ford then his vehicle doesn't have exhaust fumes in the cabin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I started to read through this thread, but also Googled the topic and found this slightly dated article from February 13, 2017:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/02/13/ford-motor-co-defect/97856978/

Feds probe exhaust fumes filling Ford Explorer

U.S. auto-safety regulators are investigating the possibility that exhaust fumes are leaking into certain versions of the Ford Explorer sport-utility vehicle.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration launched a probe into the matter in July after receiving 154 complaints of "occupants smelling exhaust odors in the occupant compartment, some of which expressed concerns about exposure to carbon monoxide," according to a government document.

The NHTSA investigation covers 2011 to 2015 Explorers.

But CBS News reported Monday that the number of complaints has mushroomed to more than 450, including 2016 and 2017 models. The news organization also reported that Ford recently agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit involving the alleged defect in a case filed in Florida.

"We take the safety of our customers very seriously and will cooperate with NHTSA on this investigation, as we always do," Ford said in a statement. "In rare circumstances, there have been instances where customers detected an exhaust odor in Explorers. While it poses no safety risk, customers can and are encouraged to contact their local Ford dealer to address any concerns."

The automaker has not issued a recall to fix the alleged defect. But the company did issue two "technical service bulletins" in 2012 and 2014, which instructed dealers to attempt to fix the defect when motorists bring in vehicles for other repairs.

The 2012 bulletin instructed dealers to apply sealant and undercoating to various parts. The 2014 bulletin incorporated those fixes and an additional software upgrade.

But "some vehicle owners reported little or no improvement after" those fixes, according to NHTSA's investigation document.

CBS reported that Explorer owners describe the exhaust smell as resembling "sulfur or rotten egg," with some worrying "it could be toxic."

Back