2017 Explorer Crash damage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Crash damage

Hello all,

I'm sorry I found this forum only after my beloved 2017 Explorer was in a crash yesterday. I got rear ended by a Camry going at a high rate of speed (I was stopped at the end of a traffic jam) on interstate 93 and was subsequently pushed into another Toyota vehicle. Since I was transported off the scene (I'm all right though) I don't have too many pictures of my vehicle. Firstly I have to say I'm impressed with the safety the car provided, thats a plus for the explorer (at least from a first glance it looks a lot less damaged than either of the Toyotas). Anyhow insurance is moving fast and asking me to find a body shop etc. I would like some advice on what to look out for in this repair process and to make sure I'm getting a proper Explorer back.
From what I can tell so far there is pretty bad damage to my lift gate and rear bumper. Also my third row is completely dislodged and doesn't seem to fit into the car anymore. There is stuff penetrating into the rear right wheel well and hanging down. The front of my car looks like its mostly cosmetic damage... I know this is all preliminary information, but I'm really worried about getting my car fixed correctly.

Back of my car:
explorer_back_no_tags_zps31ybsigj.png

Front of my car:
explorer_front_notag_zpstnaeogkr.png

Front of car that hit me:
camry_zpsjgvbokwl.png

back of car that I was pushed into:
scion_back_zpsfpvleydh.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should mention the guy who hit me (the 2006 Camry) took off on foot before the police arrived and he is not the registered owner of the car, so I'm possibly looking into an uninsured driver scenario....

Took off on foot - In a tunnel???
Seems to me that he as only 2 directions to run. How far was it to either end of the tunnel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took off on foot - In a tunnel???
Seems to me that he as only 2 directions to run. How far was it to either end of the tunnel?

He took the exit tunnel. I understand the police has him on video exiting the tunnel about 300 ft from the crash site.

He took the exit tunnel. I understand the police has him on video exiting the tunnel about 300 ft from the crash site.

Hope they find him- hit and run drivers are the WORST! :angryfire:

Hope they find him- hit and run drivers are the WORST! :angryfire:
I just heard yesterday that they did! Police gave me the information of the driver. Also, they have a surveillance video showing the accident of which I'm hoping to obtain a copy!

The Explorer is one safe car! I was in a really bad crash a few months ago in my 2017 Explorer Sport. A guy (high on narcotics, of course) was going about 70 the wrong way and we were doing 45. I walked away with only a bruise. My mom was in the hospital for a week but is driving again now.

I live in California, so I wouldn't know of a good shop in Massachusetts. If anyone reading this lives in the vicinity of Los Angeles, California, I would definitely go to Caliber Collision. I took my 2014 Explorer Sport there three times and they did a great job!

The Explorer is one safe car! I was in a really bad crash a few months ago in my 2017 Explorer Sport. A guy (high on narcotics, of course) was going about 70 the wrong way and we were doing 45. I walked away with only a bruise. My mom was in the hospital for a week but is driving again now.

I live in California, so I wouldn't know of a good shop in Massachusetts. If anyone reading this lives in the vicinity of Los Angeles, California, I would definitely go to Caliber Collision. I took my 2014 Explorer Sport there three times and they did a great job!

Caliber Collision is a national chain, that frequently does DRP repair work. ( see: discounted insurance work ) results can vary dramatically from shop to shop.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I take it that you no longer have an Explorer.

Peter

Back