anyone have a hard upshift at low speed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone have a hard upshift at low speed?

reserved50

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport Exploder
On a 2013 up when at a slow crawl and then accelerating at about 1/4 throttle for a few seconds then releasing the accelerator just before the shift does it have a thudding sound with a slight bump when it changes gear? Not sure if it was a 1-2 or a 2-3 shift. Loose mount or normal characteristic of the factory setup? Only does it when driven that way once in a while. :banghead:

Similar to up shifting to soon in a manual transmission vehicle and letting off the clutch a little to quick.

I read this but only applies up to 2012
TSB 13-3-18 sluggish acceleration followed by a harsh bump or slip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read this but only applies up to 2012
TSB 13-3-18 sluggish acceleration followed by a harsh bump or slip
You have a 2011 so if it covers up to 2012, it should apply to you but it won't be free since you are out of warranty unless you bought the ESP.

Peter

My 2016 with the 3.5NA and 6F50 (no tow package) does this intermittently.

I've noticed that happen almost regularly under a certain situation.
My house is located on a corner and the garage is in the back(alley).
I accelerate from the stop sign at the front of my house towards the back and just as I lift off to slow down to turn into the alley, it shifts hard.

My theory is that the sensors in the Ex has it thinking you are going to keep accelerating, so it "plans" to shift a little harder to prevent too much slip. If you were to continue to accelerate, the shift would feel normal. By the time you lift off, the computer is already in the process of shifting, so it shifts hard because there is no load on the drivetrain. That's just my theory.

Having the same problems on the 2016 3.5 Ecoboost. Will visit the dealer on Monday afternoon.

let us know thanks

This is my guess but I think it might be exaggerated by a loose suspension or trans mount etc because there is some play before the noise occurs making it even more annoying.

Does anyones vehicle makes a front end noise driving over speed bumps at all and sounds like something would be loose? I'm wondering if the two are related or separate issues

My theory is that the sensors in the Ex has it thinking you are going to keep accelerating, so it "plans" to shift a little harder to prevent too much slip. If you were to continue to accelerate, the shift would feel normal. By the time you lift off, the computer is already in the process of shifting, so it shifts hard because there is no load on the drivetrain. That's just my theory.

Yes, ours does that, but there is no noticeable noise as you describe. It only has 8k miles ATM.

My dad brought it to the dealership to get this checked out, and a kind service adviser took it on a 20 minute test drive, and said it was one of the best driving Explorer's hes ever driven. I guess this is kind of normal. although I was not present at the dealership

I was at the dealership yesterday and the result was low fluid level and a loose pressure plug. Added fluid and tightened plug, cleaned the area and everything was running as it should.

I was at the dealership yesterday and the result was low fluid level and a loose pressure plug. Added fluid and tightened plug, cleaned the area and everything was running as it should.

Low ATF fluid or?

Low ATF fluid or?

I don't know ... the mechanic guy was gone when I picked up the car and the only information I have is one the Bill. But I assume it's the ATF ... but I don't know why it was on a low level since I do only have 17k miles on it ... so I guess it had low fluid from beginning or there was a leak somewhere.

Back