List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

^^^I wonder why they dont like you??
That's hilarious and probably true. He annoyingly hijacked a few other threads this morning posting pictures of his bubbled hood when it wasn't relevant. Attitude often goes a long way when dealing with others....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's hilarious and probably true. He annoyingly hijacked a few other threads this morning posting pictures of his bubbled hood when it wasn't relevant. Attitude often goes a long way when dealing with others....
Yes it does. I was nice as pie all three times I had it looked at to have it fixed and all the Shop manager did was shake his head. That dealership has lost my business. I will drive for a hour to get a oil change.

Yes it does. I was nice as pie all three times I had it looked at to have it fixed and all the Shop manager did was shake his head. That dealership has lost my business. I will drive for a hour to get a oil change.
No matter how nice or respectful one is, there is only so much a dealer can do about this issue. If Ford won't chip in to help then the repair cost will have to be borne by the dealer which isn't fair either since it is clearly a manufacturing issue. When you drive that hour for an oil change I'd be very interested in knowing what that dealer has to say about it, assuming you are taking it to a dealer that is.

Peter

I have a 2015 Explorer lease that I will be returning in October 2017. A few days ago, my husband noticed some paint bubbling on the front edge of my hood. Upon further inspection there are 5 or 6 like spots all across the width of the hood. My vehicle has had no body damage and has never been repainted. I read up on Fords rust and corrosion warranty which requires complete perforation of the metal in order for it to apply. Thinking that was extreme I swung into my dealership yesterday and asked if anything could be done prior to it completely perforating through. The service advisor took pictures and submitted a claim but called near days end to say the claim was rejected. So I'm left with a rusty hood. My biggest concern is being stuck with an out of pocket cost to repair it at lease end. Anyone with similar issues? I don't want to be held responsible to repair something that Ford won't repair under warranty just because "it's not bad enough yet."

I have a 2015 Explorer lease that I will be returning in October 2017. A few days ago, my husband noticed some paint bubbling on the front edge of my hood. Upon further inspection there are 5 or 6 like spots all across the width of the hood. My vehicle has had no body damage and has never been repainted. I read up on Fords rust and corrosion warranty which requires complete perforation of the metal in order for it to apply. Thinking that was extreme I swung into my dealership yesterday and asked if anything could be done prior to it completely perforating through. The service advisor took pictures and submitted a claim but called near days end to say the claim was rejected. So I'm left with a rusty hood. My biggest concern is being stuck with an out of pocket cost to repair it at lease end. Anyone with similar issues? I don't want to be held responsible to repair something that Ford won't repair under warranty just because "it's not bad enough yet."

Welcome to the forum. Your thread has been merged with the current discussion on this. If your paint is bubbling, it is covered period. It is not only covered under the 3yr/36k warranty, it is also covered under the 5yr/unlimited mileage warranty Ford came out with recently for this specific issue.

I would be escalating this to the Service Manager or Ford.

Lastly, we ask that you use the search function before starting a new thread so you can post same topics in the same threads.

Good luck.

And therein lies the insult to my injury. Just this morning the dealership called me to let me know that despite turning me down for warranty coeverage, they don't think Ford will say anything about it at lease end and that I should just let it go. (Quite honestly I don't just trust their word on that...) I pointed out said TSB to the service advisor who's response was "yes, I know about the TSB. I've had it printed since yesterday." Isn't that the point of a TSB? When the customer comes in and demonstrates the problem it gets fixed? Wish I could figure out how to upload pictures. I'd share them with you to further describe my problem. Frustrating to say the very least.

And therein lies the insult to my injury. Just this morning the dealership called me to let me know that despite turning me down for warranty coverage, they don't think Ford will say anything about it at lease end and that I should just let it go. (Quite honestly I don't just trust their word on that...) I pointed out said TSB to the service advisor who's response was "yes, I know about the TSB. I've had it printed since yesterday." Isn't that the point of a TSB? When the customer comes in and demonstrates the problem it gets fixed? Wish I could figure out how to upload pictures. I'd share them with you to further describe my problem. Frustrating to say the very least.
If Ford says it isn't bad enough to repair then I don't see how they can 'ding' you for it at lease end. Try and get that in writing if you can. I have leased my last 6 vehicles and am on my 7th and have never had any issues at lease end. Sometimes a dealer will be a little more forgiving if you lease from them again.
The easiest way to post pictures is to take out a $20 Elite membership that also helps support the site. Dead Link Removed Another way is to use a 3rd party site like Photobucket and link your pictures. Pictures posted via a 3rd party site have a habit of disappearing which can be very frustrating down the road. With an Elite membership they are saved on the Forum servers. Good luck.

Peter

Paranoid about matching my paint!

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum so bare with me. I'm not very well versed in the forum world. I need advice on what to do with my Explorer. I have paint bubbles all along the edge of my hood from the corrosion of aluminum. My dealership won't touch it because its over 35,000 miles. Which is ridiculous, but that's a whole other subject. I've been detailing my cars since I could drive. I have a big selection of detailing products and tools. For some reason detailing relaxes me like nothing else. But watching that beautiful Tuxedo Black paint chipping off my hood is like torture to me. Because of this, I'm planning on taking my skills to the next level, serious paint correction. I definitely don't want to shovel out over $500 to fix a problem that could possibly come back again. I'll attach some photos of my vehicle and tell me what you guys think. Am I crazy? Has anyone effectively solved the rust bubble issue on their Explorer?
20170612_163120.jpg
20170612_163127.jpg
20170612_163101.jpg
20170612_163109.jpg

The texture of the paint on the bumper is not as smooth as you usually see factory paint.

The texture of the paint on the bumper is not as smooth as you usually see factory paint.
Yeah i forgot to mention that the area under the passenger side headlight was painted by the previous owner. Wherever he went to get the work done was not a very quality shop. The paint has slowly been chipping off from debris. I'll need to fix that as well.

Clean car, I don't think you are crazy. I'd want it fixed too if it was my car.

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum so bare with me. I'm not very well versed in the forum world. I need advice on what to do with my Explorer. I have paint bubbles all along the edge of my hood from the corrosion of aluminum. My dealership won't touch it because its over 35,000 miles. Which is ridiculous, but that's a whole other subject. I've been detailing my cars since I could drive. I have a big selection of detailing products and tools. For some reason detailing relaxes me like nothing else. But watching that beautiful Tuxedo Black paint chipping off my hood is like torture to me. Because of this, I'm planning on taking my skills to the next level, serious paint correction. I definitely don't want to shovel out over $500 to fix a problem that could possibly come back again. I'll attach some photos of my vehicle and tell me what you guys think. Am I crazy? Has anyone effectively solved the rust bubble issue on their Explorer?

Darker colors are much easier to match than lighter colors. Below is something that was posted in another thread that may help you with your conversations with Ford. They've admitted there is a problem with the paint on hoods and now warranty them for five years:

Thread title: Aluminum hoods now covered for 5 yrs, unlimited miles

"Not sure when this started but found this posted on the Ford site I belong to in the 2016 warranty guide.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_03_2015.pdf

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."

Sounds like it took them five years to find or admit to this problem and I don't doubt based on complaints and now they are covering the hood paint only going forward? A mistake is a mistake and it sure seems like this warranty should be retroactive back to 2011, for those owners that have corrosion or rust damage, assuming no abnormal usage occurred.

"Not sure when this started but found this posted on the Ford site I belong to in the 2016 warranty guide.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_03_2015.pdf

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles."
It started with the 2016 Warranty Guide as I mentioned it was not in the 2015 Guide. Not sure if that covers pre 2016 models or not.

Peter

Darker colors are much easier to match than lighter colors. Below is something that was posted in another thread that may help you with your conversations with Ford. They've admitted there is a problem with the paint on hoods and now warranty them for five years:

Thread title: Aluminum hoods now covered for 5 yrs, unlimited miles

Sounds like it took them five years to find or admit to this problem and I don't doubt based on complaints and now they are covering the hood paint only going forward? A mistake is a mistake and it sure seems like this warranty should be retroactive back to 2011, for those owners that have corrosion or rust damage, assuming no abnormal usage occurred.

The question is whether the repaint was already covered by Ford or if a 3rd party repainted it (accident?). If it was repainted by a 3rd party, Ford will not pay nor should they.

I have this bubbling issue around the hood area also and two small chips. Hoping Ford will repair it for me without charge.

Paranoid about matching my paint!

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, the only way I solved it was by buying a hood deflector. Luckily since yours is black (like mine), it won't be as noticeable. I thought it looked hideous at first, but its grown on me. It definitely looks better than corroded aluminum, which paint correction will not fix.

I think a lot of people are confused about why this is happening, but here's my take on it. I went a while back to my dealership to take care of my second case of the A-pillar molding flying off, and when chitchatting with the service tech, he was telling me about the paint bubbling issue. I always thought something from driving hit my hood and managed to mess up my paint, so I never thought much about it. As he went on, he was saying that he's had to repaint tons of hoods on the explorers because this bubbling is a result of galvanic corrosion under the paint from the hood being aluminum and the hood latch being steel (the part that is connected to the hood that the latch latches onto, just to be clear). I had an aha moment because I've studied different types of corrosion in my engineering classes. Aluminum and steel are dissimilar metals, and when they're in contact with each other, over time aluminum will start to corrode (looks like powdering white/grayish surface), which is why it takes a while to for it to be visible. I'm assuming the corrosion rate is pretty slow since it takes about 3 years and 1 day to see it, which conveniently is after your warranty has expired;)

I am not sure that makes sense. The bubbling that occurs is all along the front edge. I think if it was the latch / dissimilar metals issue it would appear predominately close to the latch with less as you get farther away. Also, the rear of the hood is connected to steel hinges using carbon steel fasteners. The bubbling does not seem to occur anywhere else except the edge. My 2014 Ex is fine but I have a 2012 Dodge Caravan with the exact same bubbling on the front edge, it is not just a Ford issue. I know there is a post saying it is caused by contamination of the hood with iron filings or dust when the hood is prepared for painting. I have never understood why the bubbling is almost exclusively just on the edge.

I am not happy the way Ford has handled this and the new warranty covering 2015 and newer vehicles just tells me Ford figured out how to fix the problem. So big deal, they warranty an issue that won't need to be remedied.

I have never understood why the bubbling is almost exclusively just on the edge.

It begins where the rubber seal on the hood touches the edge when hood is closed. Dirt holds moisture which which breaks the "seal" the paint makes. Water gets in and nothing stops it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back