• Register Today It's free!

4X4 High Light Flashing

Magnatek

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I am working on my girlfriends 2003 Explorer XLT. We replaced the transmission and on the test drive after the re-install the 4X4 High light in the dash flashes about 5-10 times every couple of minutes. The buttons on the dash (4X4 auto & high) don't do anything when pressed and the 4X4 low button just flashes 10 times or so when you press it. So, no 4 wheel drive.

We did disconnect the battery cable during the process and I am wondering if that blew the module behind the glove box? I searched the forums and it seems that it may be the cause. Can anyone verify this, or have any other ideas? Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

It's hard to say what the issue is. The only way I know to know for sure what the problem is, besides throwing parts at it until it is fixed, is to get the codes read at the dealer.

I recommend checking all the connections on the the transfer case motor. When my 4x4 lights were flashing, and I had no 4x4, it turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case motor. I replaced the 4x4 control module and the switch before the bad ground was discovered.

Good luck with the fix and be sure to keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply. We test drove it right away after the re-install and that's when the problem developed. We put it back on the lift right away and found the ground wire you are talking about corroded and broken. I soldered on a new connector and hooked it back up. The problem was still there. After about 1 day, it stopped flashing and the button (4X4 high) started working, at least the light on the dash came on when the button was pressed. I tried to get it into low but nothing worked. I assume this means at least the high is working? When you press the 4X4 auto button, the high light goes off in the dash. Does that sound correct?

Thanks for the reply. We test drove it right away after the re-install and that's when the problem developed. We put it back on the lift right away and found the ground wire you are talking about corroded and broken. I soldered on a new connector and hooked it back up. The problem was still there. After about 1 day, it stopped flashing and the button (4X4 high) started working, at least the light on the dash came on when the button was pressed. I tried to get it into low but nothing worked. I assume this means at least the high is working? When you press the 4X4 auto button, the high light goes off in the dash. Does that sound correct?

Did you put the transmission in neutral, set the parking brake and press and hold the 4x4 low button?

I know the threads are a little old but: Had the same problem with the 9 flashes, did the module swap, negative lead off the battery, etc. and it turned out, as some had post, a bad negative cable. But, this one comes out of the harness and grounds to the transfer case, not from the transfer case to the frame.
I would not have seen it except I decide to remove the transfer case shift motor to bench test it/clean it up. Saw it, spliced it, replace the motor, grounded the spliced cable and back in business.

Hi i have an 04 explorer xlt. And this morning my wife was driving into town when she noticed the 4x4 high on dash was flashing along with abs light on. I had her bring it home and tested the 4x4 low and high. Everything still works great.transfer case engages fine , lights stay on when engaged in 4hi and 4low. But when i shift back to 4x4 auto the light starts blinking every now and then , 6 to 10 blinks each time. Any ideas ?

Hi i have an 04 explorer xlt. And this morning my wife was driving into town when she noticed the 4x4 high on dash was flashing along with abs light on. I had her bring it home and tested the 4x4 low and high. Everything still works great.transfer case engages fine , lights stay on when engaged in 4hi and 4low. But when i shift back to 4x4 auto the light starts blinking every now and then , 6 to 10 blinks each time. Any ideas ?

@Romeo1 Is the ABS light constantly on? imp

Yes the and light is on aswell

I am working on my girlfriends 2003 Explorer XLT. We replaced the transmission and on the test drive after the re-install the 4X4 High light in the dash flashes about 5-10 times every couple of minutes. The buttons on the dash (4X4 auto & high) don't do anything when pressed and the 4X4 low button just flashes 10 times or so when you press it. So, no 4 wheel drive.

Yes, let us know how it's going. This is my 1st 4x4 and was hoping it was something silly like "check fluid level". Which I'll do in the morning. 4 weeks ago it worked OK. The 4X4 LOW light in the dash flashes about 5-10 times every couple of minutes. I know the 4x4 worked a month ago, got stuck in the sticks and tore up the front tire. I just got a code reader but haven't learned how it works yet. So post your progress, please.

Yes, let us know how it's going. This is my 1st 4x4 and was hoping it was something silly like "check fluid level". Which I'll do in the morning. 4 weeks ago it worked OK. The 4X4 LOW light in the dash flashes about 5-10 times every couple of minutes. I know the 4x4 worked a month ago, got stuck in the sticks and tore up the front tire. I just got a code reader but haven't learned how it works yet. So post your progress, please.
@skoville
If the ABS light is constantly ON, no flashing, the ABS Module is empowered to prevent 4X4 operation altogether in the event of ABS failure. It alerts the driver to that fact by flashing, at least in my case, the 4X4 HIGH light about 10 times rapidly, then off for awhile, then flashing again. In addition to disabling 4X4 operation, it disabled the Speed Control as well. imp

@skoville
If the ABS light is constantly ON, no flashing, the ABS Module is empowered to prevent 4X4 operation altogether in the event of ABS failure. It alerts the driver to that fact by flashing, at least in my case, the 4X4 HIGH light about 10 times rapidly, then off for awhile, then flashing again. In addition to disabling 4X4 operation, it disabled the Speed Control as well. imp

@skoville

Hi, imp. Have not ever had the ABS light on. Just looked it up and with the price being
The average cost for an ABS Control Module Replacement is between $324 and $1102. Labor costs are estimated between $88 and $111 while parts are priced between $236 and $991.
I hope for the best. Not something I could just try.
Mine just slowly blinks about 6-10 times and stops. Then a couple minutes later starts again. What it will do tomorrow I don't know. I haven't tried using the 4x4, I'll check fluid and see if the 4x4 is functioning.
I had a post a while back about the previous owner cutting off the wires in a loom under the hood so a lot of I have no idea what is really going on. Just concerned about being stuck in the middle of nowhere. I'll have to find out how to use the code reader, for sure. I've heard that PEP Boys, and others will give you a hand with their reader. If you have any suggestions I'll be thankful.
I might have to go back to work.
in-disbelief-smiley-emoticon.gif

@skoville check your from wheel.sensor . Sounds like everything was ok until you got stuck . A bad wheel.sensor will.disable the 4x4 and make the light flash .

My getting stuck was about 2.5 months ago. I actually had no other hint of disaster until last night. We had a little snow overnight so a little goosing it in the parking lot should be a good easy test. Yea, I really abused it that day.A wheel sensor must go by a different name. Tried to check it out at jcwhitney and drew a blank. Are we talking about the ABS Wheel Speed Sensor ? I know doing a long range diagnose is tough. With the fat man coming I'd have to wait 'till next year. Mostly in town driving. Would this be one of those suddenly you've got 5# of crap in a 4# bag ? I don't want to make it worse and end up needing a tranny. At least a sensor wouldn't need a trip to Auto-Loan, or worse, the bone yard.
Thanks for giving me a direction.

Hey! Merry Christmas !
santa-smiley-ho-ho-ho.gif

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor

you are correct the wheel speed sensor is also an abs sensor . I got the one for mine from advance auto parts for about 30 bux

Back