M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures Please! Its got to feel like Christmas time at your place, lol!
Can you imagine engines and parts under your tree? I can . LOL

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Pictures Please! Its got to feel like Christmas time at your place, lol!
Can you imagine engines and parts under your tree? I can . LOL
Im excited but same time im pretty frustrated at him..he was not there when i picked it up, his appendix burst so he's in the hospital. .i talked to the other machinist but he didnt know much..

The block surface looks like poo still and i swear the block doesnt look like it was cleaned before he assembled it..it also is missing the freeze plugs and the plug in the back for the cam..

Then the heads are rusted all up from sitting around..

Just looks like he didnt put alot of effort into the build..

Didnt have time to take any pictures and wanna clean everything up before i take any pics..

Well went by and took some quick pictures. .also talked to some other racers about the copper gaskets and what they do..couple have said they use the utra black and caot the whole gasket and that has worked better than copper spray especially if the surfaces are not perfectly smooth..they all said my surfaces arnt that bad and they will be fine..said you can tell they've been milled and are plenty flate enough, just clean them up real good and coat the gaskets. ..
Said oring will keep the compression in and the utra black will seal the water,no crazy pressure there

Some pics..gota clean everything up

20170415_101450_zps7pkqbzec.jpg

20170415_101657_zpsbfajbrzm.jpg

20170415_101704_zps0yp9li3q.jpg

20170415_101825_zpsz8jualgs.jpg

Well things got a little more serious. .picked up a set of Hoosier R7 slicks..paid $40..they are a little small at 295/30/18 but will do for now..lol

20170421_180536_zpso7ro6nz0.jpg

20170421_180552_zps8fvpontm.jpg

Bottom end looks real nice! Hope those tire help get you some needed traction.

So went to drive the truck after blowing up the aviator and smelt gas BAD...all my fuel lines have failed. .the ethanol has eatn them up..when i purchased the -6an line there was no warning and they still say they work with gasoline. .well they dont and summit wont do anything about it..

So im forced to replace all my line with -6an SS PTFE lines and if that wasnt bad enough, all the fittings have to be replaced to work with a PTFE SS hose..so now i dont have a vehicle to drive for another week and im out $284.64 for lines that i shouldn't have had to replace. .

Was makes me even more mad is the asshole i talked to at summit about it and the idea of what that decaying line did to my filter or injectors. ...im PISSED to say least

The parts i had to replace. .
Screenshot_2017-06-08-19-33-50_zpsrpljocvf.png

Just thought of something else..i maybe totally screwed. .i dont think i can get to the rear line on the fuel rail WITHOUT REMOVING MY SUPERCHARGER! !! Mannnn !!! It would cost me $120 in gaskets just to take that off..no way am i pulling that off till it goes on new motor!!

2 down. ****

Sorry.

Starts t become a real issue when your down 2 vehicles.

Got my parts from Tom but haven't gotten the rockers yet,should be here tomorrow. .

I will say im slightly concerned about his recent changes for added strength. .if you view this picture/diagram you can see he has added two bolts that hold down the cylinder head, to support his rocker mount bar..the 2 bolts are 10.9 metric bolts that have be drilled and tapped through the top of the bolt head..he said he hasnt found a ARP stud yet to use so this was his quick solution. .to me,drilling in the head of the bolt is going to weaken that bolt drastically. .im going to try and find possibly a longer 10.9 bolt to go through his support bar,the spacer and then into the head..i think that would be stronger..going to try ARP but i assume they have nothing as he said he has..

Any input on this??

20160328_172021_zpshr0fdrgp.jpg

20160328_173158_zps1coencvw.jpg

^^^^FYI these are his 10.9 head bolts that dont require replacement. .

Another thing,if you look at this picture you can see he has countersunk the last stud on this plate..dont know why but i think it would make the stud weaker as it has less thread...i emailed him asking for a reason..

20160328_172718_zpsip0vqzce.jpg

Last he said his pushrods were adjustable, the ones i received are not..again i asked why..i will need adjustable ones or to measure which i pointed out before ordering. .

20160328_172002_zpshkohajk3.jpg

No word on the copper gaskets yet,machine shop still has all my parts waiting

So spoke with him..he said he tried to find a longer bolt but couldn't and swears it will be fine..

Well it would've been but the spacer he sent is too small.also the holes he drilled into the head bolts are not straight! !!haven't called him back about it because i decided to do my own thing..

20160329_144258_zpsjafp6okp.jpg

20160329_144248_zpstst60jqk.jpg

So i took some measurements and called ARP..they found a bolt in the exact size i needed with a 200,000 psi rating,same as my studs..next i ordered some hardened tube(A513 DOM) with a OD-0.875" x WALL-0.188" x ID- 0.499" to make spacers..it will go through his plate,the spacers and into the head..should be much stronger..

Also received my rollers today

20160331_172239_zpshwrbkazg.jpg

So as some have known I've been talking to Tom..he has told me he has a updated plate and hardware. .to send the old one back and he would replace it..well finally got a hold of him on the phone today and he is using the same thing i was going to..a larger spacer and a arp bolt to go through the plate,then spacer and into the head..so im sending my parts back today..ill update when i receive them..

Got the lines swapped out..what a PIA..completely ran outa gas so gota wait till the morning to get on base to get some ethanol. .

Tell you one thing..i sureeeeee miss the rumble of this truck,thing sounds MEAN!! And the neighbors hate me!!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did your kiddo arrive? (Forgive me it's been quite some time since I've followed your thread).
Yea turn 1 last Saturday. .lol

As my luck goes...the rear end came up and bottomed out,smashing my feed line..i now how a leak and no extra line..fml

And, still no vehicle.
Rear end came up and smashed the line?
At least you found a weak spot. When you re-do, you can re-route.

Ah, the modification game. We are all insane.

As my luck goes...the rear end came up and bottomed out,smashing my feed line..i now how a leak and no extra line..fml
And, still no vehicle.
Rear end came up and smashed the line?
At least you found a weak spot. When you re-do, you can re-route.

Ah, the modification game. We are all insane.
Yea the pumpkin came up and the very corner smashed into the bed,just happened the line was there..its never done that before..yea gona reroute it for sure,atleast it was a short 2ft feed line going to my filter and not a 13ft line..

Ordered 3ft and should be here Tuesday. .i used every inch of the 30ft i ordered

I know your plate is pretty full, and you really don't need to be re-doing things you just did.
We can all relate.

Well got my new line today,went to take off the ""reusable"" fitting and they definitely are not ""reusable ""..the inside ferrule was crushed. .i manage to get one around again but the second one would not..it ended up stripping the fitting out..i had no choice but to cross thread it and use it so its leaking..ive ordered new fitting from summit AGAIN. .

IM about fed up with summit. .FIRST i buy $300 worth of lines and fittings thats sold for gasoline but cant be used with gasoline. .so then have to replace ALL the lines and fittings that are sold as ""REUSABLE "" BUT cant be reused!!

Then the customer service guy was a straight asshole also and told me everything will fail..well why would i buy something if its GUARANTEE to fail..

Things are getting out of control for cost..between my 3 trucks i could have had a new Ferrari by now and sad part is I'm not even kidding :-(

Back