OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

I am going to try slotted rotors and ceramic pads from crossdrilledrotors website. My friend has put them into his ride, and he like them a lot. Has anyone here tried their products?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to try slotted rotors and ceramic pads from crossdrilledrotors website. My friend has put them into his ride, and he like them a lot. Has anyone here tried their products?

can't say I have but you are getting slotted only right?

I just purchased Power Stop rotors and EBC Green stuff 6000 pads for my explorer.

Does anyone know what lift height is required from the floor jack to get the explorer tires off the ground??

I just purchased Power Stop rotors and EBC Green stuff 6000 pads for my explorer.

Does anyone know what lift height is required from the floor jack to get the explorer tires off the ground??
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I bought a new floor jack the other day - it's an arcam model from northern tool. Anywho - tops out around 23 + inches and I don't have to get it to full stroke to change the tires. so probably 19 ish gets it done - but more is nice obviously. I plan on getting one of those risers for it anyway

2014 Limited Front and Rear Brake Pads

I was curious what brake pads everyone is replacing the factory ones with? I'm not opposed to replacing with OE parts as these have lasted 100k miles.

When I look at rockauto.com there are some for Explorers with painted calipers. Our calipers are silver in color. I'm not sure if they are painted or not.

We live in a hilly and curvy area and will be doing occasional towing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

I was curious what brake pads everyone is replacing the factory ones with? I'm not opposed to replacing with OE parts as these have lasted 100k miles.

When I look at rockauto.com there are some for Explorers with painted calipers. Our calipers are silver in color. I'm not sure if they are painted or not.

We live in a hilly and curvy area and will be doing occasional towing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you no longer have the 1999 Explorer please update your profile or add the 2014 Limited to a signature if still do have it. Thanks.
Your thread was moved to this one.

Peter

My preference is Brembo OEM replacement rotors with Hawk or TRW pads. Brembo's OEM replacement rotors are not drilled or slotted but if you're experiencing warped Motorcraft rotors now, I'd shy away from buying another set. I experienced something similar with my old WRX, the factory rotors warped and I refused to buy another set because they'd likely do the same, so I looked to Brembo OE replacement rotors and saved a few bucks over Subaru original parts.

I have absolutely no brake dust issues with my 12 Limited, so going ceramic, the thought never came up. On the other hand my Bimmer was a nightmare. Changed out the pads to ceramic in the first three months from new, I like my wheels clean!

Hi,

I have a 15 Explorer Sport with ~37k miles on it. Right now I have some vibrations when braking hard when going 80+ mph. Do you have experienced the same?

And when did you replace your brakes (disk, rotors or both).

Right now I'm looking for EBC replacement parts to get better performance on the autobahn.

Please share your thoughts.

I replaced the front pads on our 2014 last fall (38,000 miles) and this past Thursday I replaced the rear pads and rotors at about 46,000 miles. In both cases the pads were in decent shape. The front were at about 40%, backs were fine. The reason I replaced the fronts last fall is we ski all winter in Utah and the road we take almost every day is steep, very steep so the brakes get a work out. Also I am not in a position to do much in the way of vehicle maintenance work where we live in Salt Lake City.

I am sold on Wagner OEx brake pads. They generate less heat, have shorter stopping distances, reduced rotor wear, less dust and will last longer. When we got home to WI last month I noticed the drivers side rear rotor was showing some uneven wear. I replaced the pads and rotors this past Thursday with Wagner rotors (and OEx pads) that have a black coating on all the non pad contact areas to prevent / reduce corrosion. The backside of the original rotors both had a great deal of rust on the area that contacts the hub. This corrosion can result in warping of the rotor so I thought why not go with a coated rotor to prevent that rather than having the old rotors turned. I have the towing package so the brakes are "heavy duty", the rear rotors are 345mm OD. I would measure to verify which ones you have before picking up the new ones. I bought both items from Rock Auto at a significant discount to what AA, O'Reillys or NAPA sells them for.

The rotors have a small locating screw that holds the rotors on the hub prior to reinstalling the wheels. One was frozen tight, had to drill it out. Before you try to take those out use plenty of penetrating oil especially on the back side of the rotor where the screw protrudes. Good luck

Does anyone have a good recommendation for new brake pads and rotors? The new pad i bought from Pep boys last year lasted less then a year and my original ones had last 5 years....

On other cars for daily driving use I've been pretty happy with Wagner Thermo-quiet pads.

O'reilly often has them. They are a ceramic based compound and they work very well - even in stop and go and panic stop environment.

Rotors - well I'd go with anything that's not labeled as "certric" brand. and I'd check rock auto for some.

few things I would do based on the age of your car.

1) flush the old brake fluid - you can pay a shop to do this, works fine - or you can do this yourself. take a bit of effort if you don't have the handy tools (vac to pull out of the brake reservoir, and pressure system to push new fluid to the brakes)

2) be sure to pull the pins out of the calipers, clean then, and then apply new brake lube. Make sure you use something for brakes, or you use a high silicone content, high temp rated grease. reinsert pins - make sure the calipers move free when assembled.

On top of doing the normal brake job. OH while using the brake grease - if you've never done it before dap a bit on the back of each pad - and then light coat on the "ears" of each pad. helps them ride smooth in the caliper grooves and reduced noise.

Going to be doing a brake job on our 2014 ExSport soon. Very happy with all aspects of the OE brakes but hesitant to pay Motorcraft prices. Powerstop "auto specialty" KOE6375 package seems to be very attractively priced but do you just end up getting what you pay for? Any thoughts for OE equivalent brakes? Would be looking for OE level performance with long life and low noise/dust.

Going to be doing a brake job on our 2014 ExSport soon. Very happy with all aspects of the OE brakes but hesitant to pay Motorcraft prices. Powerstop "auto specialty" KOE6375 package seems to be very attractively priced but do you just end up getting what you pay for? Any thoughts for OE equivalent brakes? Would be looking for OE level performance with long life and low noise/dust.
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the handy 'Search' feature (upper right).

Based on my current driving habits and maintenance; I should be able to get 5yrs or more out of the original pads and rotors.
If that is the case with the EX, I don't have problems buying OEM and not worrying about pre-mature wear etc...

I haven't looked but check rock auto and see what rotors do come up and the cost. IIRC Motorcraft rotors weren't that expensive but it's been a while since I looked. TO that end - Any other branded rotor is pretty decent. wagner, federal mogul, raybestos - one of those is probably the OE maker anyway.

I prefer the Brembo rotors and OEM Pads. No problems and excellent longevity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone, now after 72k miles I think I should Exchange my brake pads, do you think the Rotors are also necessary?
when I brake they are squeaking... and also what I noticed is when I turn right it Sound from my left wheel like the bearing is broken, do somebody knows this issue?

CHeers
Georgi

Back