Stuck fan clutch nut | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck fan clutch nut

jtre

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Anyone removed a fan clutch on a 5.0? Ive tried PB blaster and 2 hours or cussing and throwing wrenches and its not budging...any other way to get the thing off? Maybe possibly removing the belt and then removing the WP pulley and taking, the pulley, fan clutch and fan out as an assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've removed 4-5 5.0 (and 4.0) fan nuts. They can be tough, but once they break free they can usually be removed with your fingers. I have found that the best tool to remove the fan nut is available from my local O'Reilly's as a loaner. It has a piece that holds the pulley by the bolts and a strong, well fitting wrench for the nut. With a helper holding the pulley, a few smacks on the wrench with my BFH has always broken the nut free. Do not bother with the tools that AutoZone and Advance lend/sell. They're made of soft steel and stretch the first time you use them (junk).

Be sure you're attempting to turn the nut in the correct direction. All of mine were right hand thread, but I understand that some may be left hand thread. The correct direction to turn the nut should be embossed on your plastic fan shroud.

I've read here that some have been able to break the nut loose with a large chisel, but I've never tried that approach.

The fan nut must be removed to remove the fan and clutch. I know of no other method to remove the fan. The fan screws onto the water pump itself, not the pulley.

unfortunately, I do not have an Oreilly near me, when I try to turn the nut the whole fan moves (but won't twist off). anyone have other suggestions? The one from AAP (powerbuilt) seems to slip on the nut. is it 36mm?

if i recall lisle makes a nice fan clutch tool set for about $50 I use to have one till my son-in-law borrowed it way back when. it worked great for my uses.

This thing isnt coming off, it is rusted solid and my wrench is starting to round out the nut. Will a blow torch on there work?

unfortunately, I do not have an Oreilly near me, when I try to turn the nut the whole fan moves (but won't twist off). anyone have other suggestions? The one from AAP (powerbuilt) seems to slip on the nut. is it 36mm?

It seems like it's slipping because the open end of the is stretching.

It seems like it's slipping because the open end of the is stretching.
so i need a better wrench? Do you happen to know the brand that you rent at Oreillys?

would an air tool (i think leslie makes one) work for a seized nut? i dont want to risk buying another tool that may or may not work. Or, what will I need to do to take out the WP, fan and clutch as a unit?

how do people fit pipe and adjustable wrenches down there? has anyone done this? Im close to junking this truck over it because its not worth paying an arm and a leg at a mechanic

I own a cheap wrench set from Performance Parts and have never had a problem using it.

.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance...834263?hash=item5b0ec54917:g:OEgAAOSweW5VVMuR

For what it's worth, I have a spare water pump and fan/clutch ass'y for my '98 XLT and the nut would loosen by turning it counterclockwise as you're facing the front of the engine. I may be repeating the obvious, but you need to hold the belt pulley from turning by using the tool that straddles the bolts. Then, use the other open end wrench to turn the nut. The nut is actually attached to the end of the fan clutch shaft and, even when off the car, has resistance to turning. When I break the nut loose, I just turn the entire fan assembly to unscrew it all the way.

I own a cheap wrench set from Performance Parts and have never had a problem using it.

.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance...834263?hash=item5b0ec54917:g:OEgAAOSweW5VVMuR

For what it's worth, I have a spare water pump and fan/clutch ass'y for my '98 XLT and the nut would loosen by turning it counterclockwise as you're facing the front of the engine. I may be repeating the obvious, but you need to hold the belt pulley from turning by using the tool that straddles the bolts. Then, use the other open end wrench to turn the nut. The nut is actually attached to the end of the fan clutch shaft and, even when off the car, has resistance to turning. When I break the nut loose, I just turn the entire fan assembly to unscrew it all the way.
yeah, the thing is pretty seized...the pulley holder that came with the tool works alright, but the wrench is junk. would it be safe to use heat on the nut?, also i believe (according to a video by a ford tech working on the same truck i have) it is 36mm

I've removed 4-5 5.0 (and 4.0) fan nuts. They can be tough, but once they break free they can usually be removed with your fingers. I have found that the best tool to remove the fan nut is available from my local O'Reilly's as a loaner. It has a piece that holds the pulley by the bolts and a strong, well fitting wrench for the nut. With a helper holding the pulley, a few smacks on the wrench with my BFH has always broken the nut free. Do not bother with the tools that AutoZone and Advance lend/sell. They're made of soft steel and stretch the first time you use them (junk).

Be sure you're attempting to turn the nut in the correct direction. All of mine were right hand thread, but I understand that some may be left hand thread. The correct direction to turn the nut should be embossed on your plastic fan shroud.

I've read here that some have been able to break the nut loose with a large chisel, but I've never tried that approach.

The fan nut must be removed to remove the fan and clutch. I know of no other method to remove the fan. The fan screws onto the water pump itself, not the pulley.
it is RH thread (so i guess that means turn it counter clock wise)

i officially give up, how much would a proper air hammer run me to take care of this thing? (i have access to a compressor)

Have you tried a long, large punch or chisel lined up at an angle on the nut and hit it with a big hammer? If the belt is still on, it will provide enough friction to hold the nut in place when you hit it. I have removed several this way.

The WP shaft, and nut etc, is all tool steel, too hard to casually cut off. It's too tight in there to get at with anything but those special thin tools. I'd stop until you have the right tools that fit well. I hope the nut isn't rounded much, because the alternatives are much harder than the proper tool method. I wish the rented tools were all properly sized, my first encounter was with a bad tool set. I gave up and used a friend's huge Channel Lock pliers. That eventually worked, but getting it in there cracked the fan a bit. I would not do that again.

Just to confirm...the nut is, in fact, a 36 mm (just measured the one on my spare).

it is RH thread (so i guess that means turn it counter clock wise)

RH thread means standing in front of the truck you turn the fan nut counter-clockwise to remove it. Clockwise to tighten it.

BTW: You don't say why you're removing the fan/clutch, but if you're planning on changing the 5.0L water pump, once the fan is out of the way your fun is just beginning. Changing a water pump on a 5.0L is usually one of the most miserable job you can do. This is because the long bolts tend to rust inside the water pump, seize and snap. I'm an avid DIY'er, but I now pay someone to do that job.

this thing is seized. nothing shiny left on the nut or shaft, all rust. I have tried channel locks, the tool kit, a hammer and punch and an air chisel/punch. It seems like this thing has been off before and they put lock tite on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fan_nut_zpsnkd5yr8g.jpg

so here is the nut, does it look too rounded to you guys? I dont want to waste more money on a tool if it is too rounded to get off with a wrench. I measured the POS advance wrench opening and it is 40mm

Back