• Register Today It's free!

Won't start :-(

wfelter2000

Reaction score
City, State
Catskill
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and also I'm no mechanic. LOL My brother-in-law is the mechanic, has his own shop. My problem... I purchased a 97 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab 4.0L 4WD a couple of months ago. So far we replaced bad universals on 4wd, front brake pads, all filters and liquids(oil, transfer case, tranny etc), new transfer case shift motor and new fuel pump assembly. He said the fuel pump didn't sound good, making grinding sounds. Sometimes it wouldn't start after setting for awhile. Sometimes the only way I could start it was with starting fluid. Now that we're done with it I took it for a test drive and when I would slow down to turn around it would stall and only start with starting fluid. We got it back to his shop and he did a fuel pressure test. 28 psi at idle for a few minutes then slowly dropped to 18 psi. Then it would drop to 10 psi and stall. So we ordered a new fuel pump. Have to wait for him to have time to drop fuel tank and replace just the pump. Are we on the right track? Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure seems like a bad fuel pump, or a clogged fuel intake screen that's attached to the fuel pump. I think you are on the right track.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to this forum! Remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator while the fuel test gauge is connected to see if the pressure increases. This is a simple test to check the fuel pressure regulator. Check the vaccum line for fuel leaking from the regulator.

Welcome to this forum! Remove the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator while the fuel test gauge is connected to see if the pressure increases. This is a simple test to check the fuel pressure regulator. Check the vaccum line for fuel leaking from the regulator.
Thanks for the reply! We'll give it a try.

Just a friendly reminder (I used to have a 97 ranger XLT, that I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of if it was the extended cab) to look at all of your shock absorber and spring mounts and see if they are about to break off. Between RockAuto, Amazon, and LMC, I was able to get them all for around $150.

If you're dropping the fuel tank to replace the pump, you should replace the driver's front spring mount while you have the access. it's a major pain to do with the tank in place.

Just a friendly reminder (I used to have a 97 ranger XLT, that I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of if it was the extended cab) to look at all of your shock absorber and spring mounts and see if they are about to break off. Between RockAuto, Amazon, and LMC, I was able to get them all for around $150.

If you're dropping the fuel tank to replace the pump, you should replace the driver's front spring mount while you have the access. it's a major pain to do with the tank in place.
Thanks for the suggestions 96firephoenix. They look great. And all the spring mounts we changed already. It is a major pain to do with the tank in place but my brother-in-law did it with no problem. He just couldn't believe the new fuel pump assembly was bad. Just got a new pump to replace the bad one. Now I have to wait for him to get the time to do it. Thanks again to you and all the other peeps that contribute and help us newbees out.:chug:

Thanks for the suggestions 96firephoenix. They look great. And all the spring mounts we changed already. It is a major pain to do with the tank in place but my brother-in-law did it with no problem. He just couldn't believe the new fuel pump assembly was bad. Just got a new pump to replace the bad one. Now I have to wait for him to get the time to do it. Thanks again to you and all the other peeps that contribute and help us newbees out.:chug:
awesome! I had one snap off on mine, and then looked at the shock towers and saw that they would snap if I put a wrench on them to replace the shocks...

It's not unheard of for new parts to be bad. it could also be something wrong with the wiring, frying your new pump.

Back