Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

I am looking at putting that cheaper ebay lift on my 2011 limited. Does anyone have any advice regarding the issue? Also has anyone else had problems that resulted from their lifts similar to those listed by Akmechanic above?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys! Tonight I installed a lift kit (2.5f /1.5r) on my 2012. It was scared to put my new tires on since they are 275/65r18 (32"). I based my tire calculation on the 305/50r20 from "aLLstar Explorer". I just want to make sure that you had no rubbing problem on the rear since it seem to be very close to the rocker panel edge. I did remove the small plastic dust cover but I'm not sure that it's enough. Lot of people seem to be on 265/70r17 wich are 31.6" (1/4 less all around).

Does anybody have the torque specs on the suspension components for the lift? I can't find any manuals for the 5th gen

Hi guys! Tonight I installed a lift kit (2.5f /1.5r) on my 2012. It was scared to put my new tires on since they are 275/65r18 (32"). I based my tire calculation on the 305/50r20 from "aLLstar Explorer". I just want to make sure that you had no rubbing problem on the rear since it seem to be very close to the rocker panel edge. I did remove the small plastic dust cover but I'm not sure that it's enough. Lot of people seem to be on 265/70r17 wich are 31.6" (1/4 less all around).

Hey Buddy,

Congrats on the new lift! I feel like the Ex should have came out this height but who am I, just the consumer..... LOL Anyway, I am one of those running the 265/70r17's and did have to trim both some plastic in the front (lower "aero" plastic piece) and trim some of the metal at the pinch weld in rear of the front wheel well. I do have the Terra grappler mud tires on so I think if you have a more street-able tire like aLLstar Explorer has on his, you could probably get away with minimal to none as he didn't have to trim. I also have a 4inch backspace if that helps.

Let me know if you find a tougher shock upgrade! Still on the hunt for that... Had my kit on for almost a year now and I couldn't be happier.

Hello everybody,

New to the forum and finding this place absolutely amazing. I am really looking into lifting my 2017 EX Sport.
I am debating if i should go 265/70 or 265/65. i have read alot of mix comments on the rubbing and i need some help to get thru this!!!

my list of questions:
265/70 or 265/65, if 265/70 how bad is the rub?
If i have to trim, where exactly i will be looking to trim?
for tires. which one is recommended for that wide off-road look other than BFG A/T

Thanks guys

Hello everybody,

New to the forum and finding this place absolutely amazing. I am really looking into lifting my 2017 EX Sport.
I am debating if i should go 265/70 or 265/65. i have read alot of mix comments on the rubbing and i need some help to get thru this!!!

my list of questions:
265/70 or 265/65, if 265/70 how bad is the rub?
If i have to trim, where exactly i will be looking to trim?
for tires. which one is recommended for that wide off-road look other than BFG A/T

Thanks guys
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If staying with 20" tires, neither size you mentioned is recommended. The accepted maximum diameter variance from OEM is 3%. The 265/70R20 would be have a difference of 15.2% and the 265/65R20 would be 11.7%. At 60 mph the 265/70 would be reading 69.12 mph. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-265-70r20
These tires would negatively affect your brakes and some suspension parts. They would also have a negative effect on some programmed modules such as ABS.
Also, be aware the lifting the Explorer may have warranty implications for the Powertrain if something fails and the cause is traced back to 'lifting' the vehicle. Just a 'heads up'.
There are some existing threads on tires that you can find using the Forum's "Search" feature, (upper right).

Peter

show pictures!

If your OEM tires are 245/60R18 and you plan to replace them with 275/65R18 tires you will be way over the recommended 3% diameter variance. Your diameter variance will be 8.5%. This will put added strain on your suspension and brakes.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-60r18-275-65r18

Peter

Hello all! I recently installed Traxda's lift kit on my '13 Explorer. The lift is great, I decided to keep the 17" steel rims that are OEM on the base model (for now), and paired them with 265/70R17 tires. This wheel fitment DOES RUB! I know it's been mentioned here previously, but in case there was any question, in the rear, the small mud guards will have to be removed to fit this size tire. In the front, I cut a small bit of plastic off that was over the pinch weld at the rear of the wheel well. The big issue now is the tire is rubbing on a portion of the frame at the front of the wheel well. I'll be putting adapters on to fix this issue (it only rubs at full lock). I'm going for a pretty aggressive look, my only wish is Bora's adapters came in 1.25" thickness. As it stands, I think I'm going to be ordering 1" adapters all around.

Hello all! I recently installed Traxda's lift kit on my '13 Explorer. The lift is great, I decided to keep the 17" steel rims that are OEM on the base model (for now), and paired them with 265/70R17 tires. This wheel fitment DOES RUB! I know it's been mentioned here previously, but in case there was any question, in the rear, the small mud guards will have to be removed to fit this size tire. In the front, I cut a small bit of plastic off that was over the pinch weld at the rear of the wheel well. The big issue now is the tire is rubbing on a portion of the frame at the front of the wheel well. I'll be putting adapters on to fix this issue (it only rubs at full lock). I'm going for a pretty aggressive look, my only wish is Bora's adapters came in 1.25" thickness. As it stands, I think I'm going to be ordering 1" adapters all around.

Base model stock stance:
dchutQ

With the Traxda kit installed:
evdpSk

All that extra space filled in with rubber:
duSink

These tires are General Grabber A/T2, a BFG A/T KO knockoff:
kPbnDQ
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't see any pictures just four of these
dchutQ
By replacing your 245/65R17 OEM tires with the 265/70R17 you have exceeded the generally accepted maximum diameter variance allowance of 3%. Your current variance of 7% will have a negative impact on the braking system and suspension parts. Just saying....
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-65r17-265-70r17

To post pictures directly from your device you require an Elite membership ($20) or use a 3rd party site like Photobucket to link to.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up Peter. The shop that put my tires on did an inspection and a full alignment after, and so far it's riding great.

A little off topic, but your post got me thinking... I won't be able to use the donut spare because of that variance any more. Perhaps I'll look into mounting a matching full size spare on the roof.

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up Peter. The shop that put my tires on did an inspection and a full alignment after, and so far it's riding great.

A little off topic, but your post got me thinking... I won't be able to use the donut spare because of that variance any more. Perhaps I'll look into mounting a matching full size spare on the roof.
Just keep in mind that the 2013 is limited to 100 lbs. evenly distributed on its crossbars.

Peter

I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing the lift kit. I have read this whole thread 2 or 3 times in the past. I have never seen the front to rear height difference addressed by any of the posts.
Why does the Traxda kit specs say 2.5" lift for the front and 1.25" lift for the rear? Shouldn't it be the same?

And good thinking JCE132 on the spare tire, that is one of the huge disadvantages I see about changing the tire size. I am planning to change the shinny city looking 20" stock wheels to 17" black steel. And then get some Grabber AT2 265/70R17. (I know this puts me at 5.3% variance on diameter).

I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing the lift kit. I have read this whole thread 2 or 3 times in the past. I have never seen the front to rear height difference addressed by any of the posts.
Why does the Traxda kit specs say 2.5" lift for the front and 1.25" lift for the rear? Shouldn't it be the same?

I'm going to guess it's because most vehicles from the factory have a slightly lower stance to the front to offset the drop in the rear when loaded. This kit is giving you the most lift you can get to equalize that stance when unloaded.

I installed the lift over the weekend. And already got new wheels and tires on it. Very happy with the new look.

I consider myself a pretty handy guy but I have never done a big project in any car. I felt I had the right tools so decided to do it myself.

I went very slowly, making sure I didn’t mess anything up and there is no way to go fast in a garage in Phoenix in the summer haha.

First obstacle was that I didn’t have the right size socket to remove the axle nut which is pretty massive. So I lost a few minutes going to Oreily to get that.

But by far the biggest obstacle was that one of the steps is unclear about which way the front spacer needs to be facing. The text in the direction says one thing and the picture shows something else. I had to call Traxda on Monday and I installed it incorrectly so I had to redo the front to make it right.

Another issue was that the 2 extension brackets for the front didn’t have grooves big enough for the bolt to go through. So I spent about 30 minutes with a file, making the groove slightly bigger (about 1/8” bigger). This is some thick steel and not a very fun activity when it’s over 105 degrees! (I had read about this issues on a review on Amazon, so I was expecting it, but still annoying).

The rest of the project went well, I would say I spent a total of 12 hours to do all 4, and then I spent another 2 hours re-doing the front. Again, this was my first project of this magnitude.

Now for any other DIYers, I would like to share what size sockets you will need so you don’t waste time like I did.

Front

Step2: Axle nut is 32mm

Step 3: Sway Bar End Link is 13/16”

Step 4: Tie Rod End is 13/16”

Step 5: Lower Strut Bolts are 15/16”

Step 6: Upper Strut Mount Nuts 16mm

Rear

Step 1: Sway Bar End Link 15mm

Step 2: Lower Shock Mounting Bolt 18mm

Step 3: Lower Control Arm Bolt 13/16”

Step 4: Steer Knuckle Mounting Bolt 7/8”

Very happy I was able to do it all without breaking anything or doing anything stupid. The explorer looks great now!

So I went with 17" wheels 35mm offset (stock 20" wheels had 45mm offset). And Geolanders 265/70R17. They don't rub at all, not even in reverse or when turning all the way, so I was happy I didn't have to trim anything.
My new set up is about 5lbs lighter per corner, so very happy I am not putting crazy amounts of weight and stressing the components, as well as diminishing acceleration and breaking power.

I already tested the tires on a moderate off road trail just outside of Phoenix, Bulldog Canyon. It was so much fun to not hit any rocks! My two friends in their stock 2007 and 2011 Jeep Cherokees were slightly hitting exhaust pipes at the bottom of washes, nothing bad though.

Here is a video of one the harder obstacles at this trail:

So I went with 17" wheels 35mm offset (stock 20" wheels had 45mm offset). And Geolanders 265/70R17. They don't rub at all, not even in reverse or when turning all the way, so I was happy I didn't have to trim anything.
My new set up is about 5lbs lighter per corner, so very happy I am not putting crazy amounts of weight and stressing the components, as well as diminishing acceleration and braking power.

I already tested the tires on a moderate off road trail just outside of Phoenix, Bulldog Canyon. It was so much fun to not hit any rocks! My two friends in their stock 2007 and 2011 Jeep Cherokees were slightly hitting exhaust pipes at the bottom of washes, nothing bad though.

Here is a video of one the harder obstacles at this trail:

Love the video and it confirms along with others I have seen that the Ex is capable of light to some moderate off road use.
As for the wheel/tire change, they exceed the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance by almost two times (5.9%). This will affect the ABS system which is factory programmed for the OEM size. Also good luck if you ever have to use the spare.:)

Peter

Love the video and it confirms along with others I have seen that the Ex is capable of light to some moderate off road use.
As for the wheel/tire change, they exceed the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance by almost two times (5.9%). This will affect the ABS system which is factory programmed for the OEM size. Also good luck if you ever have to use the spare.:)

Peter
The spare size is something that concerns me. I looked at the compartment for the spare and it seems I could fit a taller tire, but not much thicker. I am planning to do some testing at a tire shop to see how much bigger of a tire I can fit as a spare.

And I did see the 3% rule here before. Do you know where I can learn more about the affects to the ABS system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The spare size is something that concerns me. I looked at the compartment for the spare and it seems I could fit a taller tire, but not much thicker. I am planning to do some testing at a tire shop to see how much bigger of a tire I can fit as a spare.

And I did see the 3% rule here before. Do you know where I can learn more about the affects to the ABS system?
I got the size and ABS info from a post in this Forum. In the post it mentioned that the 2016 Explorer had preprogrammed and acceptable tire sizes in one of the modules. It went on to mention that changing the tire size also made changes/updated the info in some other control modules like ABS. I believe it may have been a post by jmr061 but can't be sure.

Peter

Back