Roof Rack / Rail Removal | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

I am looking to ADD a roof rack to my Explorer PI, does anyone have one in good shape available with all hardware? Please PM Me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. They are flexible rubber, like something you'd buy off the roll, by the foot at Pep Boys.
Those are factory that you got. According to the instructions that come with those rail mouldings you are supposed to pipe 3M adhesive sealant in the channel first. It fills underneath the molding. That's why it's a t shape and not totally flat on the bottom. The moulding floats a little, smoothing it out some. It's obvious in the interceptor pics that are posted. There's even the sealant under the hockey stick in the front to hold it down.

I am looking to ADD a roof rack to my Explorer PI, does anyone have one in good shape available with all hardware? Please PM Me
I am also, but I've never had a vehicle with roof rails before. Are the side rails even necessary with an aftermarket system like Yakima's SkyLine?

I am also, but I've never had a vehicle with roof rails before. Are the side rails even necessary with an aftermarket system like Yakima's SkyLine?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Not sure what you want to carry but as per the Manual, maximum weight is 45 lbs with a moonroof and 100 lbs without.

Peter

Does anyone have a video of instructions and pictures on how to remove the roof rails?

I've done a lot of searching within the forum with no luck :(

Does anyone have a video of instructions and pictures on how to remove the roof rails?

I've done a lot of searching within the forum with no luck :(

It's really not all that difficult.
If you can do an oil change, you can do this.
Get a step stool out, remove all the screws, lift off. Take your time as to not scratch anything.
As far as sealing the holes, that's up to you.
If you scroll back I listed some stainless screws and metal/rubber washers. Worked awesome, we had the worst winter in over 20 years, no issues (remember to use anti-seize with stainless). As far as silicone or rtv seal...I've always been told to keep that stuff away from body panels as they promote rust...if you are going to go that route, use windshield adhesive.
As long as the screws are sealed it's up to you whether you use that black moulding. We have a Tri-coat white Explorer, so I opted not to use that, I love the look. Also saved a bunch of cash.

It's really not all that difficult.
If you can do an oil change, you can do this.
Get a step stool out, remove all the screws, lift off. Take your time as to not scratch anything.
As far as sealing the holes, that's up to you.
If you scroll back I listed some stainless screws and metal/rubber washers. Worked awesome, we had the worst winter in over 20 years, no issues (remember to use anti-seize with stainless). As far as silicone or rtv seal...I've always been told to keep that stuff away from body panels as they promote rust...if you are going to go that route, use windshield adhesive.
As long as the screws are sealed it's up to you whether you use that black moulding. We have a Tri-coat white Explorer, so I opted not to use that, I love the look. Also saved a bunch of cash.

Thank you!

I guess what I really want to know is what is the process of removing the roof rails and plastic trim?

I have a 2015 and don't see any screws. Should I be using a pry tool?

My apologies. Not as simple as I posted last night...but almost.
I forgot what was all involved..but still pretty simple.
I had to go dig out the parts I took off to remember. There's a plastic cover at each end that needs to be popped off.
There's a single clip underneath at each end. They generally take a little effort to pop loose, can be unnerving. Have you ever taken your overhead console off? Same type of clip.
Pry up on the outermost end of the plastic caps, should be straight forward then. Once bolts are out, you need to slide bar forward to disconnect from center support.
I took a pic of the underside of those caps, but can't figure out how to upload.
You can PM me your email and I can you you it if you want to see it.

S
Thank you!

I guess what I really want to know is what is the process of removing the roof rails and plastic trim?

I have a 2015 and don't see any screws. Should I be using a pry tool?
See also post #25. Unfortunately the pictures have disappeared. That is what happens when you use a 3rd party posting site since they aren't saved to our servers. Frustrating.:(

Peter

So I took the plunge, and deleted the rails. My rear passenger side bolt was very rusty, and leaking water down the back seatbelt. I think I like the look, as my rails were silver with old faded black ends...I'm going for the blackout look.

Here are the bolt holes, after removal.
https://imgur.com/gallery/ghNbh

Here are the AFTER photos.
https://imgur.com/gallery/2fQ0L

I think I may purchase the two short front pieces, since I cannot successfully secure the original moundings. This Florida sun backs everything off!!
I may not buy the complete moldings unless I find a deal.

VERY Sharp looking, Going to do the same to my 17 Sport also black. just waiting on the parts.

VERY Sharp looking, Going to do the same to my 17 Sport also black. just waiting on the parts.
Welcome to the Forum Ron.:wave:
Thanks for supporting the Forum with the Elite membership.:thumbsup:

Peter

Well, but the bullet, just ordered the 2 windshield moldings today, said on B/O until 8/24
still on the fence on what to use to fill the rest of the gutter. 300.00 is a lot of money for factory molding, if it was a flat plastic molding I would jump but others said it's no different than pepboys cheap 5/8 molding....

Well, but the bullet, just ordered the 2 windshield moldings today, said on B/O until 8/24
still on the fence on what to use to fill the rest of the gutter. 300.00 is a lot of money for factory molding, if it was a flat plastic molding I would jump but others said it's no different than pepboys cheap 5/8 molding....
Ron, when you state "2 windshield moldings" are you referring to the black plastic 'A' pillars? I'm not sure why removing the roof rack would have anything to do with any windshield moldings.:dunno:

Peter

The "hockey sticks" ad some have called them, along the gutter from the windshield to the first set of bolts.

The 2017 explorer they are shorter and are connected via plastic tab to the rail.

The "hockey sticks" ad some have called them, along the gutter from the windshield to the first set of bolts.

The 2017 explorer they are shorter and are connected via plastic tab to the rail.
Okay. I think I know what you mean now. That part of the black molding that is fit to follow the bend in the roof and ends right at the top of the windshield. That makes sense.

Well since I have the patience of a 1 year old :) I decided to pull the rails today.
I used the advice of some of our members I filled the holes with Black RTV then using 6mmx1.0 set screws and Locktite, (blue) I sank the setscrews just under flush, topped the rest off with more Black RTV. (RTV is temporary),plan on using windshield epoxy then cover the holes with 5/8 black molding ( once I can find a store around here that has it.

For the hockey sticks I used instant epoxy to create a bump under the channel so I can use 3M VHB to adhere it to the car (again temporary) until I get the right front moldings.

I am pleased as of now, will be even better once I am sure I have no water leaks, and the right items come in from ford.

will get photos as soon as I can

IMG_1826.JPG

2017 Explorer Roof Rack Rail Removal

Just removed the roof rack/rail from our explorer...just need a socket wrench, socket wrench extension, size 10 socket, star screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, needle nose pliers, dremel/plastic cutting tool, plastic panel screw trim clips (x12), panel/emblem/trim adhesive (with water sealant) and/or trim removal tools.

1) Used flathead screwdriver/trim removal tool and lodged in between colored plastic part (top) and main hardware/weather stripping (bottom) to pop of the plastic parts. Its secured with five or six plastic clips.

2) Once top part is off, used socket wrench/size 10 socket to remove the five/six bolts.

3) Then used needle nose pliers/socket to remove the one nut from a screw sticking up (halfway on strip/near rear door).

4) Back to front end near the A Pillar, the plastic strip from the front windshield to the front rack/rail, is held in by a clip...just need a screwdriver to push the clip apart from underneath the main hardware bottom rail and the plastic piece from the windshield.

5) Lift the main bottom hardware rail/weather stripping up and away from the vehicle.

6) Now you're left the little plastic piece from along A Pillar from the front windshield. I used a dremel to cut the plastic piece in a shorter length so the clip does not stick up...I also used the dremel to shave down the screw halfway where the nut was attached to (Step 3), in case I want to reattach rails in future.

7) I then cleaned the area for debris from front to back.

8) Used plastic panel screw trim clips with water sealant adhesive to fill in the holes where bolts were removed from. Also used adhesive on the cut down plastic trim part that was along the A Pillar to secure that back to vehicle.

9) Hand washed my vehicle the next day to make sure there was no water leakage from roof.

10) Enjoy the slick top appearance now.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8Lg7E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the step by step explanation.
Could you please be more specific with step 1) to pop of the plastic part, as I am afraid I may break one of the pins.

Thank you!!

Back