Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

2001.jpg

With those done i mocked them under the mountaineer, decided how i wanted to do the tubes and threw some measurements in the computer. The software has really made getting things bent right the first time so much easier.
I used the same 2" .120 wall tubing that i used for the bumpers.
2002.jpg

I tacked the tubes on so i can mock them up under it again and decide how many struts i want to do and if i want to make step plates.
2003.jpg

Once i get all of the kinks worked out it's going to be time for a new body!!!!!!!
2004.jpg

It looks like i won't be gaining or loosing any ground clearance, just going to have better protection and a solid step...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah looks great!

I cant wit to see how you attach those to the frame.

Looking awesome so far. Can't wait to see the end results
Thanks, they should fit the theme of the rig and finish it out as far as protection goes.

Yeah looks great!

I cant wit to see how you attach those to the frame.
I plan to weld 1/4" plate to the frame and use the 2" round tube to go from those plates to the slider tubes. I would try bolting them on but i have zero desire to drop the fuel tank and work around all of the lines on the drivers side. I also think they will be stronger welded on. The fun part will be working around the parking brake cable.

Thank you Photobucket for being so craptastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now i need to find another hosting service.
Oh well i did manage to get the drivers side slider mocked up and then cut the mounting plates loose from the frame so i can add gussets, finish weld and paint all but the perimeter of the mounting plates.

That sucks bout the pics.

I was trying to look back through your thread to find out what you did with your ABS but it's too hard without the pics.

I was wondering if removing the ABS affected the speedometer at all since I've read that they share the same tone ring in the rear on our 98s?

That sucks bout the pics.

I was trying to look back through your thread to find out what you did with your ABS but it's too hard without the pics.

I was wondering if removing the ABS affected the speedometer at all since I've read that they share the same tone ring in the rear on our 98s?
For now i left the ABS unit under the hood but plumbed the brake lines around it. I tried to wire around it with the speedometer correction module and it worked for the speedometer but the cruise wouldn't work. I plan to remove the pump portion and just leave the electronics module.

The sliders are done but I have not decided how i want to host pictures going forward. The "Photosuckit" drama has hurt the worst on the 79 page thread i have on the restomod of my cummins powered f350......

stupid photobucket!!

Thank you Photobucket for being so craptastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now i need to find another hosting service.
Oh well i did manage to get the drivers side slider mocked up and then cut the mounting plates loose from the frame so i can add gussets, finish weld and paint all but the perimeter of the mounting plates.

try using www.cubeupload.com
uploading is free and works good.

would be great to see the photos. (i know its a pain, but I hope you repost them.) :)

Dang, I just checked this thread again since quite a while ago. I see that you finally made it up to the Iron Range but I can't see the pics due to the photobucket fiasco. :(

Dang, I just checked this thread again since quite a while ago. I see that you finally made it up to the Iron Range but I can't see the pics due to the photobucket fiasco. :(

I had a blast up there and plan to go back now that the sliders are done. I will get the photos re-posted from another source one of these days. At the moment my time has been taken up by preparing for a varmint hunting trip to thunder basin national grasslands in Wyoming over Labor Day weekend. It sounds like i may have to do some trail riding to get to the hunting spot's. Darn the luck. :chug:

Road trip:burnout:

Well the trip didn't go as planned, we made it just past Wall, S.D. when the noise we thought was the heat shield for the muffler turned into a whirring sound and then shortly after a growling sound and a nasty vibration in the transfer case shifter. We pulled into the next tiny town that had a four room motel at 10 p.m. i checked everything i could but saw nothing obvious external. i got up early the next morning and with everything cooled down I checked the fluid level which was a little over full. The fluid was black and very thin. I check the wheel bearing which i packed the day we left and all seemed fine there so i called my dad to bring the one ton and car trailer to get us. He showed up around midnight after prepping his trailer and gather supplies. we loaded my little trailer in the back of the truck and then put the Mountaineer on the car trailer. We talked him into continuing the 150 miles to our intended destination. we took the car trailer off and used his one ton two wheel drive dually to do the trail driving which limited our access to the good shooting spots but we worked with it and had fun with it.
20170901112535Copy.jpg

This was us when we left MN.
20170903194702Copy.jpg

20170901112535Copy.jpg

This was us in WY.
20170901112535Copy.jpg

We made it back Monday. Tuesday i found a replacement BW4406 at the junk yard. Wednesday night I put it on the hoist and drained the fluid. I reached in through the drain hole and pulled large chunks of metal out of it so my diagnoses was confirmed. I got the old one pulled out that night and the new one in the next night. Friday afternoon i took it on a 150 mile drive up north for a funeral. I just realized i haven't tried the four wheel drive functionality yet.....

Hmmm, Are these 4406 prone to failure? I am on my 3rd, although I cannot blame the T-case for the first one. None of them give the impression of a solid T-case though. I almost went with an Atlas the last time, but someone on this forum sent me one at a pretty good price.

Hmmm, Are these 4406 prone to failure? I am on my 3rd, although I cannot blame the T-case for the first one. None of them give the impression of a solid T-case though. I almost went with an Atlas the last time, but someone on this forum sent me one at a pretty good price.

The 4406 was used in trucks with fixed IFS front axles. Could the movement of your front axle be an issue?

Ford used the 4406 up to and including the light duty F250 so I don't think a little EX is going to work one too hard.

You might just have bad luck or your doing something wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I didn’t mean to thread hijack.

My first 4406 was the one that was in the rig when I bought it from nnsj2. It died when 3 of the 4 front driveshaft CV bolts backed out and the CV wedged itself against the body of the T-case and split the front drive section off of the T-case. Obviously not the T-cases fault.

The second one I sourced myself from Pick-a-part. After about 10K miles it started making some strange noises on a freeway drive while towing. I pulled over and shifted it thru the gear ranges to see if something was half way in gear. It stuck itself in to low range and I could not get it back out. Much more stranger noises on the 10 mile drive home.

The 3rd one is still working fine, but all of these T-cases had some significant backlash from coast to drive. They all have a “meshing” sound when driving down the road.

I run a slip yoke on my front driveshaft and I do not believe that this is related to any of the issues I am describing.

I have owned a few chain drive T-cases before (NP208, 1356 and whatever is in my 1992 F350). All of them gave a good solid feel, operated noise free unless the chain was in need of replacement and had no notable coast to drive backlash. That is why I am always wondering if the 4406 is the weakest link in my drive terrain.

I have my second 4406 in the garage along with whatever I thought was salvageable from the first one. Someday I will tear apart #2 and figure out what happened. If possible, put it back together as a spare. I have a feeling that if I ever need a spare, it will only be in there long enough to order an Altas.

I was just wondering if there was allot of history with failures on the 4406. For now I still take my wheeling in to the deep dark depths of Rubicon and Dusy-Ershim.

Back