How to: - 2011+ Grille Removal with pictures | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2011+ Grille Removal with pictures

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Looks great. I'm a big fan of leaving the chrome strips the way they are. Another member did the same thing quite a while ago. I think it's much 'richer' looking then full black.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I agree I have seen them done both ways and I liked the chrome strips better. I'm going to add the black metal explorer letters on the hood next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello guys, does any of you tried removing the "Chrome Grill Insert"? This is something done here in the Philippines. They covered the "dotted area" of the Limited Explorer grill and applied a double adhesive layer of foil to achieve the flat look:

FB_IMG_1483168931205.jpg

I think if the chrome insert can be removed, we can actually achieve the looks of an Explorer Sport grill.

Hello guys, does any of you tried removing the "Chrome Grill Insert"? This is something done here in the Philippines. They covered the "dotted area" of the Limited Explorer grill and applied a double adhesive layer of foil to achieve the flat look:

FB_IMG_1483168931205.jpg

I think if the chrome insert can be removed, we can actually achieve the looks of an Explorer Sport grill.
What color is your Ex.? Haven't seen that one cruiz'n the streets.

What are you guys doing prep wise before dipping your grilles? Does it stick to the chrome pieces without any special prep (wipe down, sanding, priming, etc.)? I am worried about the chromed pieces chipping more easily that the rest of the grille.

What are you guys doing prep wise before dipping your grilles? Does it stick to the chrome pieces without any special prep (wipe down, sanding, priming, etc.)? I am worried about the chromed pieces chipping more easily that the rest of the grille.
I sprayed the whole grill with adhesive remover to remove any wax and residue that was on there then sprayed. I live in Rock salt heaven in syracuse and drive a lot. Look a like the day I sprayed it.

I had to remove the previous owner's poorly done Plasti-dip spray job before I redid it. I can assure you that it sticks to the chrome just fine. If anything, I think it was harder to remove it from the chrome than from the rest.

After cleaning it, I rinsed it with hot water to get the solvent off, let it air dry, then sprayed it with Plasti-dip again.

Does anyone have any tips for removing the four nuts at the bottom of the grill? They seem incredibly hard to access... Is there a certain tool that would be helpful?
Thanks

Just did mine this weekend. The bottom ones were cracked loose with an open end wrench using short swings. Fingers were used to finish unscrewing them.

Just did mine this weekend. The bottom ones were cracked loose with an open end wrench using short swings. Fingers were used to finish unscrewing them.

Is there any trick to getting access the to four nuts at the bottom? I can barely even touch them...

Is there any trick to getting access the to four nuts at the bottom? I can barely even touch them...

The middle two aren't that difficult, but the corners are a huge pain. When you get the top ones out, carefully pop the tabs on the sides, and pull forward. Then squeeze your hand down in there. You're going to need to get a small 10mm wrench or socket on them to break them loose. It's difficult, and you're going to get scraped or cut, but you'll get them.

Wonderful write up and what I am looking to do first! However, all the pictures at the top are gone. Might anyone have saved them or know of a spot to view the bolts? Rather remove to shoot and spray. Thanks in advance!

Also, did anyone use spray vs. plasti dip?

Wonderful write up and what I am looking to do first! However, all the pictures at the top are gone. Might anyone have saved them or know of a spot to view the bolts? Rather remove to shoot and spray. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The poster must have used Photobucket to post those pictures. Apparently that site no longer allows linking. Only photos posted here by members with an Elite membership ($20) are saved to the Forum's servers.

Peter

Thank you Peter.

Should you have any other leads, please let me know. Cheers!

Thank you Peter.

Should you have any other leads, please let me know. Cheers!
I was going to suggest sending the poster a Private Message to see if the photos could be reposted but I just checked and the member hasn't been on here since March 31, 2015.
There is a very handy 'Search' feature in the upper right you should familiarize yourself with. I found a few threads on grille removal but no pictures. Not sure if they'll help.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...find-how-to-thread-for-grille-removal.402056/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-grille-removal.331825/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/removing-the-grille.321097/

Peter

I was going to suggest sending the poster a Private Message to see if the photos could be reposted but I just checked and the member hasn't been on here since March 31, 2015.
There is a very handy 'Search' feature in the upper right you should familiarize yourself with. I found a few threads on grille removal but no pictures. Not sure if they'll help.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...find-how-to-thread-for-grille-removal.402056/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-grille-removal.331825/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/removing-the-grille.321097/

Peter

Thank you Sir. Very helpful information!

I removed my girl for plastidip. I don't have pics but I can walk you through it. It comes off pretty easily.

I removed my girl for plastidip. I don't have pics but I can walk you through it. It comes off pretty easily.
You're plasti dipping your girl?:)

Peter

I actually took it all apart yesterday and did the job I needed to do... really did not wish to spray while on the vehicle. Some of those clips are really stuck in there but I got it all apart. I am most pleased and truck looks beefier!

Your plasti dipping your girl?:)

Peter

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... that might be fun or atleast interesting :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For anyone looking for the missing OP photos, I pulled and re-uploaded them with a more reliable image provider (Imgur).

Here are the images, enjoy!

Front Grill
So after reading many many threads asking the same thing about how to remove the grill on a 2011+ Explorer I got the gist of it and tackled it myself.

I completed the plasti dip of my grill but forgot to take pictures along the way so I went back and removed the grill AGAIN and took some pictures along the way.

This is to help supplement the many other grill removal threads out there and I hope it helps.

Step 1 - Open Hood, get 10mm Socket and small flat screwdriver
Remove SEVEN (7) of the 10 mm bolts circled in GREEN and the TWO (2) push rivet fasteners circled in RED
rWIft6H.jpg
WLo3Xzf.jpg
D0j2OjH.jpg

The top plastic cover then should come off freely
ec85ODG.jpg

Step 2 - VERY GENTLY pry the grill away from the engine compartment and tilt it forward to expose the FOUR (4) very tricky nuts (10mm). TWO (2) are near the middle, and are the easier of the 4. The other TWO (2) are down by the headlights and are VERY tricky/hard to remove
mT8WEpx.jpg

You can see the back side of the bolt, which has the nut on it, at the tips of my fingers. This is one of the center ones.
Lds9J4B.jpg

Just above the White pointer stick (very technical) is the back of the bolt showing the nut near the passenger side headlight.
DBnZDO8.jpg

Step 3 - Remove the grill

This can be very tricky so TAKE YOUR TIME
Seen here is the back of the grill, circled in RED are the FOUR (4) bolts that had the nuts on them. Circled in GREEN are the SIX (6) clips holding the bumper in place. Careful, I broke one doing this write up.
ZdlkjdV.jpg
QLMBSol.jpg

Grill removed -
SMM9Nzb.jpg

Reverse the process to reinstall,

Hope this helps!!!

Back