Rearview Camera Problems | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Been having the same problems. Took some advise from the page and ordered the FL1T-19G490-AC. First one came in destroyed in shipping. Second one came in boxed and perfect condition. Exact fit and exact connections. Get a the black screen contact dealer still. Went to the dealer tried the reconfigure and everything. It sees the camera but won't turn on. Ford dealer says the camera is bad. Any thoughts?

Original camera out of the car is DB5T-19G490-AC.

Thanks for any input.
Neither part number was found in my attempts on parts sites. I did find EB5Z-19G490-A.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=camera
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/ShoppingCart.aspx

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@peterk9 , all
Guys, there is breaking news!

I have finally found a 60$ solution to the camera issue.
Bought 60$ FL1T-19G490 FoMoCo camera from a store on aliexpress with free shipping to Qatar. I was their first customer by the way.

Got the camera today after 7 days. Seemed identical to the OEM camera. Didn't care for 110F temperature outside and did the replacement job myself. When I put the car to R, violaaaa!! It works. For the camera guidelines, I calibrated the camera using Forscan.

The camera quality is HD, much better than my earlier 2011 model camera. Also, the night results seem to be much brighter. The camera I purchased seems to be OEM as it had all the markings and writings of the OEM camera, with the manufacturing date of 2015.

You're welcome.

This is on page 15 of this thread. Cross referencing the part number the FL1T part number would actually be for a 2015 Expedition.

This is on page 15 of this thread. Cross referencing the part number the FL1T part number would actually be for a 2015 Expedition.
Hi @rdilks

That was me in that post. I have a '12 XLT Explorer. The original camera part no. was BB5T 19G490 AE. DOM was July 2011.

Apart from dealership, I could not find the camera from any where else that would ship to my place. Finally, I found a seller on aliexpress that offered some FoMoCo products. In his product range was one similar looking camera FL1T-19G490-**. Since this was a mere 60$ (with a buyer protection coverage in case it didn't reach me, or was faulty), I decided to take a leap of faith and went ahead with ordering it.

After receiving, I noticed it has a 2014 DOM while part no. is FL1T-19G490-** . Any how, it worked like a charm after installation. Has been working great since the past 2 months. Quality is HD and night results are much improved. This is owing to improvement in the camera by FoMoCo.

I am pretty certain the seller sourced it from the factory in China which makes these units for Ford.

Cheers!

Today I get in my car and put it in reverse and am greeted with this:

20170707173305_5rrz0d7cfc.jpg

the camera is stuck on that image and it flashes between that and a black screen. I drove to where i was going, shutdown, came back out 30min later, started up, and the SAME image from before was there just like this. This shot is from 4 drives later in my garage. needless to say, that's not the view behind my garage. Never had a camera problem until now. I can't seem to change to the other camera or do anything else.

(sorry for the sideways huge pic)

Looks like a new camera may be in order.:( You could try a Master Reset but you'll lose some saved memory settings.

Peter

Looks like a new camera may be in order.:( You could try a Master Reset but you'll lose some saved memory settings.

Peter
BOOM. that seems to have worked. and i didn't lose radio settings.

Bravo explorerforum, you've fixed both the problems i've brought to the table at no cost! better buy a lottery ticket, as i'm sure that'll never happen again!

after thinking about it again, the reset makes perfect sense, as the old image was stuck in there, so it was obviously a software issue.

Here is the camera I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Camera...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Note that it does not have the active guidelines and the magnification feature does not work. Both of those may? be fixed with FORSCAN or whatever, I don't know. The image seems to be good, at least on the same level as the factory camera if not slightly better. The label says "FoMo" instead of "FoMoCo".

I did some investigating on the dead camera- judging from the heat stress on the plastic case I would say 2 of the chips are overheating and failing prematurely. Nothing that is an obvious easy fix inside the case.

That is the exact same camera that I bought but when I installed it the image was upside down. When I tried to run the calibration routine in forscan at exactly 8% through the calibration I get an error. I have decided to return the camera. Now I guess I'm stuck going for the $350 oem camera? When I swung by my local ford dealer to get the part number they gave me
Bb5z 19g490a for my 2011 limited. This is a different part number from what I took out:dunno:

Here is the camera I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Camera-Backup-View-Camera-for-Ford-FL1T-19G490-AC/112370228343?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Note that it does not have the active guidelines and the magnification feature does not work. Both of those may? be fixed with FORSCAN or whatever, I don't know. The image seems to be good, at least on the same level as the factory camera if not slightly better. The label says "FoMo" instead of "FoMoCo".

I did some investigating on the dead camera- judging from the heat stress on the plastic case I would say 2 of the chips are overheating and failing prematurely. Nothing that is an obvious easy fix inside the case.
There was a big improvement to the picture quality somewhere along the way. The camera picture in my 2014 MKT compared to my 2011 was almost HD quality as a few others have also noted when replacing the early OEM cameras.

Peter

The edges of the board are darkened in the areas corresponding to the discolored case, looks to my untrained eye like it got too hot.

Not yet, the Torx screws are tiny and I can't remember where I put my set of little drivers.

So I ordered the EB5Z-19G490-A from the first link at white bear lake. They got in touch and said that based on my VIN, it is a different part number (BB5Z-19G490-A) but on their site, it says the first part number supports my model. Both of these don't match the one I pulled out of my vehicle so this is super confusing, which part do I take the risk on, the VIN one seems to be safer bet but is $35 USD more (over $45 CAD) on an already hefty price.

Same thing happened to me. I order (different vendor) the EB and they came back and told me I needed the BB which is $30 more. Which one did you end up going with? I have a 2011 Expl Limited. Thanks

Doing a quick Internet search it seems that according to eBay the BB is for 2011 - 2012 Explorers and the EB is for 2013 - 15 Explorers. The 2016 - 2017 is GB.

Kevsrocking, it really is your first post in 6 years?? Welcome.

Peter

Doing a quick Internet search it seems that according to eBay the BB is for 2011 - 2012 Explorers and the EB is for 2013 - 15 Explorers. The 2016 - 2017 is GB.

Peter

True, but most state the EB works all the way down to the 2011. For $30 buck (after shelling out $300), I wanted to know if the EB worked. I guess I should go with the BB so the one little thing that changed doesn't cause an issue. Yep, first post... but I joined right before we bought our Explorer... first PNTA issue I have had to deal with.

Peter

Peter, you seem to be the guru here. My Camera sort of works. It has a display but the display isn't "mirrored" and I have no lines. I tried to "calibrate" it with FORSCAN and an OBDII connector and it stated I could not connect to the camera. However, diagnostic checks show no negative issues? I wasn't sure if the lines came from the camera module or the APIM. Does the APIM process video or just "display it"?

Peter, you seem to be the guru here. My Camera sort of works. It has a display but the display isn't "mirrored" and I have no lines. I tried to "calibrate" it with FORSCAN and an OBDII connector and it stated I could not connect to the camera. However, diagnostic checks show no negative issues? I wasn't sure if the lines came from the camera module or the APIM. Does the APIM process video or just "display it"?
I'm afraid I'm far from being a guru. I've just been around for a while and have read a lot of posts. When you say it isn't "mirrored" are you saying the image is reversed? And the missing lines I'm guessing are the guidelines? There is a setting accessed through the touchscreen for the guidelines as far as which ones, fixed or moving are displayed. As per how the video is handled, perhaps members sheltonfilms and Jason jmr061 may be better suited to answer that. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter

My understanding is the lines come from the camera module which is why aftermarket cameras often have the option of not having them. My GUESS is that the cameras we are buying are knock-offs or not quite legit in some way and come from various batches, perhaps even factory rejects which would explain the various levels of functionality we are seeing. Again, just a cynics guess. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just had mine replaced at the stealer...$760 all in, amazing rip off! At least I got a 2 yr warranty.

Back