What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took us forever to get out of IL. Made it to Lafayette, IN but it took 4 hours. FML.

As for gas mileage, actually pretty damn good. Here's my odometer reading below. Next stop, Nashville where we'll spend the night!

Is that the Meijer off of I65? I used to live in Lafayette, Indiana.... That picture brought back many good old memories....

Changed the oil for the fist time since I bought it. What a breeze! So nice to have easy access to the oil filter. My 07 Expedition I had to take the intake assembly and the crank shaft position sensor plug off to get to the oil filter. Also noticed the engine cover is a thick flexible foam material, not hard rigid plastic. Very interesting.

Also, I really like the power the 3.5 has. I drove it to KC and back now a couple times (150 mile round trip) and it is very responsive and quick. Sport mode really helps as well :D

Black ovals...
zTW5F28.jpg

Did 3 things last night. New lights, a tow hook light, and a scuff plate for the cargo area.

I had already replaced my old Halogen mains and fogs with these, which did a massive difference, but then I came across these and couldn't resist. I only got the main bulbs as I rarely use the fog lights anyway, and I'm not made of money ;). Light output (per spec sheet) is about 6000 lumens more in total on the new ones (6k total on old, 12k total on new), here's before, during & after:

MX2W8YL.jpg

iD6TTHO.jpg

7u9yetj.jpg

Ncs40yh.jpg

2 out of 3 of the socket "wings" on the SNGL 9005's were slightly bigger than the typical 9005 bulb, so it took some serious fiddling to get them into their sockets (I have a picture if someone cares), I was ready to break out the Dremel... but they do fit in the end (at least my 2012 XLT)

The vertical DRL lights are these ones from Drivebright. Can't recommend them enough for 2011-2015 models (DRLs are required where I live).

Also installed this scuff plate found on AliExpress. I actually can't recommend it as (1) The fit is pretty average around the lock hook (it hangs in the air at the bottom due to poor "exact" shape) and in one or two other spots it has the same issue. (2) The double sided tape it came with was a joke, I had to replace it all with real "car-strength" double sided tape, and lots of it. It's on pretty good now though so I'll leave it there until it falls off :D. I used a heat gun to warm up the target area first as it was a cold day. I reckon a heat gun and a plastic hammer could probably bend it back in shape where it's off but I haven't bothered as of yet.
NcaNxRw.jpg

And the bonus modification (a little ugly wire-wise as I had to get a 4-pin converter for the European tow socket already on the car, so it sticks out more than I wanted (ignore ugly sticker residue on right).
ZTnoDAL.jpg

Spent a couple of hours spraying my wheels with plasti-dip. They actually look good in person. Didn't paint the lug nuts, but it's not as noticeable in person as you might think. I see about getting some different lug nuts if I decide to keep this look, and assuming that it holds up over the long run.

XTnaYQhM.jpg

ugNzwaw7.jpg

So this just happened. Getting it soon as they're out of Chicago and getting it installed as soon as possible next week. I'll post video's of the sound and ride, of course! :)

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 4.40.15 PM.png

Spent a couple of hours spraying my wheels with plasti-dip. They actually look good in person. Didn't paint the lug nuts, but it's not as noticeable in person as you might think. I see about getting some different lug nuts if I decide to keep this look, and assuming that it holds up over the long run.
Nicely done!
XTnaYQhM.jpg

ugNzwaw7.jpg

So this just happened. Getting it soon as they're out of Chicago and getting it installed as soon as possible next week. I'll post video's of the sound and ride, of course! :)

View attachment 98151

Just the other day I was watching a u tube video of Borla on the guys xp sport.

View attachment 98151

Good choice! I run Borla on my 2004 ZO6 and could not be happier.

XTnaYQhM.jpg

ugNzwaw7.jpg

That really changes the stock sport rims............ in a good way.

@bigA That looks great. I have used Plastidip many times. I clean it with Turtle Wax Ice spray wax. Pick some up and thank me later. Serious, this stuff cleans and repels dust. Adds a slight sheen as well. Mist on, wipe off and you are good until your next wash.

turtle-wax-ice-spray-wax.jpg

New battery (Odyssey 65-PC1750T) came in the mail after a very long trip over the ocean (old 2011-installed Motorcraft original was giving up):

WmNVNUA.jpg

And put a new front emblem on my somewhat poorly plastidipped (around the emblem) grille. I'll re-plasti it one day... Back emblem needs a paint repair before I can do anything, as apparently a big chunk of paint was missing right underneath.

rVlHwLy.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back