Lift Gate (Glass) Will not open

shorrockt

Reaction score
City, State
boynton beach, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hi all,

I've got an issue and I'm not sure how to go about fixing this one. The glass on my liftgate won't open. I can hear the actuator clicking, but the glass won't open even if I try applying pressure. Is there a simple way to hose the mechanism down with lube, or how do you disassemble the plastic to get to these parts without opening the glass?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

I've got an issue and I'm not sure how to go about fixing this one. The glass on my liftgate won't open. I can hear the actuator clicking, but the glass won't open even if I try applying pressure. Is there a simple way to hose the mechanism down with lube, or how do you disassemble the plastic to get to these parts without opening the glass?

i had the same issue once. i think the cable connecting the actuator to the lock mechanism is broken. you will have to open the door panel and sneak in between with a thin hook to unlock the lift gate the remove the door panel completely. it's a bit tricky reaching to the lock and release it but it's doable.

If you can open the liftgate, you should be able to access the mechanism for the window buy removing the trim panel on the interior of the liftgate. It's pretty simple to do. I had to remove it to fix the lifgate glass switch for the dome lights. I will try to get some pics of the procedure this afternoon and post them up.

Cable Broke

Hey I know its an old thread ... BUT its relevant to my problem -

The glass latch cable broke after they did the recall no less then they say it happens on older explorers so they wont fix it saying not related but whatever

can you replace just the cable Ive look a bit all I see is the entire assembly and at 150 - 200 that a lot for just a cable broke can you fix the cable ? Any one else do this ??

Thanks

Hey I know its an old thread ... BUT its relevant to my problem -

The glass latch cable broke after they did the recall no less then they say it happens on older explorers so they wont fix it saying not related but whatever

can you replace just the cable Ive look a bit all I see is the entire assembly and at 150 - 200 that a lot for just a cable broke can you fix the cable ? Any one else do this ??

Thanks

you have access to the broken cable and plan on doing it yourself, right? If so, then go to a wrecking yard and spend a half hour picking the part yourself. max cost should be under $20.

If you can open the liftgate, you should be able to access the mechanism for the window buy removing the trim panel on the interior of the liftgate. It's pretty simple to do. I had to remove it to fix the lifgate glass switch for the dome lights. I will try to get some pics of the procedure this afternoon and post them up.

Looks like this will be tomorrow's project.

Looks like this will be tomorrow's project.

I have the same problem. The rear glass liftgate on my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer will not open. I can hear the actuator working when I push the button above the main gate release and when I use the key fob, but the glass will not pop out like it should. I want to remove the inside trim panels (2), so I can access the latch mechanism. Is there a step-by-step procedure on this so I don't damage the panels? The main liftgate does open.

I sure would appreciate some help here. Thanks.

I have the same problem. The rear glass liftgate on my 2003 Mercury Mountaineer will not open. I can hear the actuator working when I push the button above the main gate release and when I use the key fob, but the glass will not pop out like it should. I want to remove the inside trim panels (2), so I can access the latch mechanism. Is there a step-by-step procedure on this so I don't damage the panels? The main liftgate does open.

I sure would appreciate some help here. Thanks.
Here ya go....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_XiNEifkxUpZWhQZ0djT3VsVVU/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks cwol97401,

I've tried to get the main hatch trim panel off, but it is hanging up on the plastic interior trim of the hatch glass. How do I get that off? I don't see any screws so I assume it's push fasteners. I'm a little concerned about breaking pins and/or doing damage to the panel since I've already broken one of the pin fasteners on the main panel. any advice here? Should I just go and yank it?

This is helpful in looking at everything there but it doesn't explain how to replace the cable for the glass latch. I got everything apart but I can't see how to replace the cable. The boot over the cable has deteriorated and missing most of it. When I unlock it the actuator works but doesn't engage the cable. Any help appreciated, don't want to go out and but a Hilton's manual.

This is helpful in looking at everything there but it doesn't explain how to replace the cable for the glass latch. I got everything apart but I can't see how to replace the cable. The boot over the cable has deteriorated and missing most of it. When I unlock it the actuator works but doesn't engage the cable. Any help appreciated, don't want to go out and but a Hilton's manual.

I’m having the same problem with mine. Has anyone found a fix other than junkyard? I have been looking for months and the ones I find have the same issue broken/ stretched cable.

I think I know what you are referring to. Where did you mount it?
On the same original cable bracket, that V shaped hook as far as I remember
You’ll need around 8” cable with its jacket to connect between the actuator and the latch mechanism.

Hope this helps!

I’m having the same problem with mine. Has anyone found a fix other than junkyard? I have been looking for months and the ones I find have the same issue broken/ stretched cable.
Just use a cable from another door lock, maybe the front doors no matter if different long cable.

Take a look at THIS THREAD. I haven't done this yet but I believe the cable is slightly overstretched. I suggested shorting the cable by using a crimp style fishing weight at the end of the cable just in front of the termination ball....or use a cable clamp as suggested by others. If/when you take a look let us know if the problem was that the cable broke or if it's just stretched.

Hi all,

I read this old thread and did not find a solution. On my aviator both rear plastics require the glass to be open to remove.

So replacing the cable or even accessing is tough.

Here is what i did.

Remove the rear plastic as much as you can. It will not remove because it is wrapped around the glass latch.

Peel back the plastic film.

You will see a brass square fitting where the actuator is for the glass. Use a 5 16 to remove the three bolts holding that in place.

Once it is loose and hanging you should see near the bottom the metal ball end of the cable for the rear glass.

Pull with ploliers and glass will release.

Now you can remove the remainder of the interior plastics.

In my case the rubber washer at the end of the cable failed. So i alwas unable to open the glass until i did this.

Lincoln aviator rear glass will not open

LdN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't realize the rear glass opened on my newly acquired '05 till I saw this post. I had wondered why Ford stopped the dual opening tailgate that my '96 has. Anyhow, after reading this and figuring out how to get into the bottom interior panel to release the glass lift gate, I found that the rubber washers on both ends of the release cable had failed.I used an idea I got from the old zip tie accelerator pedal method (50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............), and it worked. I put zip ties on both ends of the release cable. Two on the top, up near the hatch release mechanism (which I removed the screws so I could move it around for better access to the cable) on the same side of the cable (before the clip the rubber washer fits into) and two at the trigger mechanism, one on each side of the clip. Have no idea how long it will last, but for an hour of my time and 4 zip ties job well done. Didn't think about pictures, but if it breaks again I'll get some.

Back