Head gasket repair

ChildIdenticant

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer
Replacing head gasket (coolant found in cylinder 4) . Had it open 40k ago for freeze plug repair. Any recommendations that fall under the "do it while you have access". 167k.
Water pump , inlet, thermo, temp sender&sensor changed 5k ago.
(SoFarNoBrokenPlastic!!!!)
Any knowledge of useful preemptive strikes welcome.

Images removed to photo host policy change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At only 167k miles.... The other "probably should do" things really aren't needed/worth it yet.. Maybe just check them..... for example... Rocker arms (check to see if the cups are really worn), lifters. Pushrods can be checked to see if the ends are worn badly. Even though you can get to the cam sensor much easier now I don't think it's worth replacing as they don't go bad often..

The other things can you can to (or already went past) are things like injectors (replace or get cleaned/rebuilt), injector o-rings etc but you can do them easily when it's really time to do them and you don't have to do much to get to them.

One thing I would do.. Get heads checked (magnafluxed)... The cracks on them can be hard to see.

~Mark

Use the lower intake gasket from a 1997.

if you can find somebody that pressure test heads better than magnifluxing.
roscoe

if you can find somebody that pressure test heads better than magnifluxing.
roscoe

Instead of or in addition to? Was going to get them magfluxed today even though it looks like just a failed gasket.
The tech at carquest said the 4.0 heads cracked very often. Is this accurate?

Use the lower intake gasket from a 1997.
Why do you suggest this ? I installed the '94 matched felpro when I opened it up ≈40k ago and it appears to be in excellent condition with clean sealing surfaces.

The 91-93's have the issue with cracked heads from what I've read.

If the 91-94 lower intake gasket was worth anything, it would still be in use on the '97.

It was revised in '95 and again in '96.
The '97 version was then used through '00.

It's a night and day difference. Have both in hand and lay them on the engine, you'll see why.

The '94 version wouldn't even be available today if it wasn't for manufacturers wanting to say they make the OE style.

Myself, if I have the heads fully exposed and have removed one on an engine with over 100K on it, I would seriously consider doing valves and checking/renewing the heads.

Myself, if I have the heads fully exposed and have removed one on an engine with over 100K on it, I would seriously consider doing valves and checking/renewing the heads.

Agreed . At least for the good one, since the offending head is in fact, cracked.
Cylinder heads international has completely re-manufactured units for $175. Can anyone advise me differently?

so I received a head from a '92. Everything looks exactly the same, but I have to ask JIC. This is a suitable replacement for my 94, correct?

Back