bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
I have a 96 x with the CAD up front and was wandering if any body tried welding the spider gears in the dana 35 or installed a spool if one is available figured with the factory axle disconnect a legit auto locker might not be necessary ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you have hubs that unlock your axles are still turning and you will have a terrible time driving on the streets.

I don't know how strong that would be for off road, but on the street you couldn't engage the front diff, or keep it in 2WD.

Ok thanks, it was just a thought. If I go that route I'll just install a legit auto locker. there have only been seldom few times were I wished I had lockers any way but that's why there's bypasses on most obstacles on the trails I drive and most off-road my ex sees now is the obx beaches I lost all of my local mudding trails (been changed or gated off) and only make it up to the mountains maybe once a year for 4wd trail riding/camping.

Also in 4wd unlocked it would still turn like normal as only the drivers side would have power. I'd consider it if I didn't run 35s and have a Torson already in the front diff.

Also it's nice to see someone local to me on the ol explorer forum.

That's correct I don't notice it at all driving on the road. I did however break the drivers side cv on hamburger hill in Moab. I run 33s with tt, shackles, and 2" body lift, those CVS just arent that tough. I got through it with a winch and locked 3wd haha. I've found the limit of my setup, perfect for light to moderate wheeling but I would need a sas to do anything more.

Nice this will be something to seriously consider ! And @ boominxplorer your just one city over small world! we probably have seen each other's rigs before not to many modified explorers around probably have only seen a dozen or so in the last 10 years but a jk on 37's is a regular sight nice to see the people that go out of there way and build a capable rig with almost no aftermarket support instead of buying a jeep then putting it in the shop to put $10,000 worth of bolt on crap with zero scratched or trail swag of any kind or the power stroke on boggers that obviously never leaves the pavement people kill.me and I'm ranting btw do you know of any local wheeling spots that are legal in the Hampton roads area? I've had 3-4 spots over the years that I don't have access to anymore.

There is nothing legal locally other than outer banks and a few private property trails that certain people use and few get permission to use. Most people with mud trucks visit the birdneck bog but get ready to tear up your stuff.

I drive around in a black 01 extended cab ranger on 35s with a V8 swap. My girl has an 04 Explorer but it only has 2" of lift and 32" duratracs on it

That's correct I don't notice it at all driving on the road. I did however break the drivers side cv on hamburger hill in Moab. I run 33s with tt, shackles, and 2" body lift, those CVS just arent that tough. I got through it with a winch and locked 3wd haha. I've found the limit of my setup, perfect for light to moderate wheeling but I would need a sas to do anything more.

Do you have limit straps? They really help save cv axles. Power at full droop, heck any rotaion at full droop on a cv and pop.

I used to wheel a hunting area off Blackwater which has been gated off years ago it was a good trail pretty sure it was illegal but I was in high school at the time and didn't care and there was another spot by the power plant in deep creek I think that's been leveled out and the private property I used to wheel but the guy lives on it now and doesn't want people driving through there anymore plus it's been rutted out with a tractor and is pretty bad last time I was out there never wheeled in va beach come to think of it so have you tried potts mountain jeep trail looks a little too extreme but I read it was only really bad in the middle section saw some pics of a stock land rover on it also have you heard of the dune trails in carova I've been on them before years ago at night and don't remember how to get to them forgot about them until a guy recently stopped and asked if I knew where they where while out on the beach

I'll send you a PM to keep this tread on track.

Just to add I have only broken 1 cv myself with the torsen ls in the front on 35s. All it takes is a little bounce and they will rip the inner cage into peices lol.

Yea I got you, it did get off track that's my fault. For sure send me a pm! The only thing that worries me is if my cad failed and was stuck on that welded diff would make for a sucky day at least with a lock rite auto locker you would be ok either way was just trying to save the $300+ do they make manual hubs for second gens?

We're you able to get it home ? That's all I'm really worried about I wonder what would give first on a welded diff on the street if the axle was stuck in the live position.if it be the carrier I'd probably just buy once cry once and go for the locker.

there is a way to do manual hubs , search AVM conversion on here , ive done it twice , its not cheap,

I made it where I was going but it wouldn't of lasted at speed. The inner joint started spinning in itself.

If you get the manual hub conversion they will act like a fuse with any welded or locked diff. They will blow before any thing else and you'll be able to keep driving most likely.

If I go out to play hard I trailer my truck. I also bring extra cv's with me and some cv stubs incase I want to leave the axle out.

Not a bad idea bringing extra cv I'm pretty confident on the mild trails I play on not really worried about breaking something and don't really need the front locker although it would be nice iv just been wanting to try more serious trails always thought rock crawling was pretty cool but maybe like you said get a trailer for it and do a sas all of which I Don't have the money for right now but still heavily considering welding that diff I have to replace my lower bushings soon before I get new tires (will probably just remove the knuckles)and front shocks so I figured once it's all apart just turn a few more bolts and drop the axle and weld it up with all new gaskets and seals because it leaks ,have to top it off when I do my oil changes are there any heavy duty cv joints available by chance? and how much did that avm kit cost you for the front hubs?

the AVM hubs are around $125 for a set , you need a set of 99 ranger hub bearings and half shafts so there's a couple hundred and you need seals and clips , another hundred ,

Do you have limit straps? They really help save cv axles. Power at full droop, heck any rotaion at full droop on a cv and pop.
I don't have limiting straps yet but its on the to do list . Full droop in a hole and powering up a pretty large rock did mine in. Didn't slip, bite, and break. It just snapped the cv joint under power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is a way to do manual hubs , search AVM conversion on here , ive done it twice , its not cheap,

I went through 10 pages using AVM conversion in the search and I didn't see anything. Could you post a link?

Back