• Register Today It's free!

Automatic headlights flicker

09kmelissa

Reaction score
City, State
Paw Paw
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hi, what causes the headlights to flicker on and off when in the automatic position on a 2003 Ford Explorer? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What might you mean by "flicker"? Is it dark out when the headlights are on and they're flickering? Or is there some daylight still out and the headlights go off and on?

If the latter, that would be normal. The sensor is in there at the top front of the dashboard so it probably isn't registering enough light as you drive in shadows or darkened areas so the headlights will come on...then once you hit enough light again, they turn off. I've driven through areas that are heavily tree lined in the middle of the afternoon and it will be enough to trip the headlights. Then I get back into a sunny area and they go off.

But, if it's the former...well...someone else will have to chime in.

What might you mean by "flicker"? Is it dark out when the headlights are on and they're flickering? Or is there some daylight still out and the headlights go off and on?

If the latter, that would be normal. The sensor is in there at the top front of the dashboard so it probably isn't registering enough light as you drive in shadows or darkened areas so the headlights will come on...then once you hit enough light again, they turn off. I've driven through areas that are heavily tree lined in the middle of the afternoon and it will be enough to trip the headlights. Then I get back into a sunny area and they go off.

But, if it's the former...well...someone else will have to chime in.
Thank you, I believe the going on and off happens when it is dark out.

Thank you, I believe the going on and off happens when it is dark out.

Gotcha! And it only flickers when the switch is in the automatic position?

It could be something in the wiring or the switch...I'm not sure...someone else probably has a better idea, so might be best if someone else knows. :)

Back