Automatic transmission oil at minimum... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic transmission oil at minimum...

Daheim111

Reaction score
City, State
Germany / Thüringen
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Sport
Automatic transmission oil at minimum (measured with standard procedure / owners manual)...but Ford german FORD dealer says: it`s lifetime oil in the AT !
I wish to change the fluid...best to do it ?
No sign of leakage...only near the dipstick som oil patterns...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Automatic transmission oil at minimum (measured with standard procedure / owners manual)...but Ford german FORD dealer says: it`s lifetime oil in the AT !
I wish to change the fluid...best to do it ?
No sign of leakage...only near the dipstick som oil patterns...
As per your Owner's Manual;

Every 150000 miles (240000 km)
Change automatic transmission fluid
Replace accessory drive belt(s) if not replaced
within the last 100000 miles (160000 km).

Peter

Sure, @peterk9, but the dipstick shows a level below "min."...car was warm enough (30 km), in parking position all gears about min. 10 sec., engine on while checking, but the level was a littlebit below "min."...

Same problem with my 2009 GLK...dealer said "no problem", but only 2 days later I became a little sound and dealers message was now: "necessary to change the AT" it means 7T €...

But: can I await "other" problems after the fluid change / is it ""risky"" ?

Sure, @peterk9, but the dipstick shows a level below "min."...car was warm enough (30 km), in parking position all gears about min. 10 sec., engine on while checking, but the level was a littlebit below "min."...

Same problem with my 2009 GLK...dealer said "no problem", but only 2 days later I became a little sound and dealers message was now: "necessary to change the AT" it means 7T €...

But: can I await "other" problems after the fluid change / is it ""risky"" ?
Why not just top it up to the proper level by adding some more transmission fluid? I would not continue running it with low fluid.

Peter

Problem here to get original Ford Mercon...have to use other oil producer (but same specification)...better to change completely...
And this sound has come on...it`s proportional with the rpm...and my history with Mercedes (i think it was the same sound)...

Problem here to get original Ford Mercon...have to use other oil producer (but same specification)...better to change completely...
And this sound has come on...it`s proportional with the rpm...and my history with Mercedes (i think it was the same sound)...

As long as the other manufacturer's oil meets Mercon LV standards you can mix it. I probably have 3 different brands of Mercon V in my 2000 Ranger transmission.

How can you not get Motorcraft Mercon LV if you have access to Ford Dealer? Dealer should be able to procure it.

Mercon LV: No !
The german dealers are very cautious with "not German" Ford´s...they don´t take the chance to answer me with a Ford mail adress when I try to take contact via mail...may be they are uncertain...to read english service manuals (they got it from me !)...all the time I have to note the page-number in the manual when they shall do something...they didn`t find the oil drain plug for the AT...
But change oils is not a big job BUT in Germany the neighbours call the police as they obtain that you will do it (by yourself in or in front of your garage) ! Please, don`t laugh ! It´s true !

Daheim, If I recall correctly you bought your Explorer used, so is this first time you have checked your transmission fluid? In theory or according to the service manual it should last till 150,000 miles. Also, I'm curious as to what speed do you average on the Autobahn with your Explorer?

Daheim, if i think abut it... i check it tomorrow at my explorer....

My girlfriend drives the car at most time, on Autobahn mostly > 160

Of course...some times (not offen) on the Autobahn it comes to about 160...180 km/h...
Yes, bought it used...not so easy to check the fluid level because of the filter house (must remove it before checking)...
@Schimi: it`s a common problem of US cars on the german highway / to tolerate so much more speed as allowed in USA...check your car build specs (f.eks. towing package, extra cooler etc.)...

Of course...some times (not offen) on the Autobahn it comes to about 160...180 km/t...
Yes, bought it used...not so easy to check the fluid level because of the filter house (must remove it before checking)...

Interesting, 100 to 110 miles/hour, that's definitely a good clip.

Understand that it's not all that easy to check, but am glad you did, especially since it is at the minimum fill line.

You should change your transmission fluid every 60,000 Kms (despite what the manufacturer says). I'd get that out quick.

@Foxdiddy: yes, I am near 60k...
"Lifetime oil" is a ......................

Now I have got a package with original Motorcraft Mercon LV / and YES, I will change the AT fluid !

Oil/fluid is only seen at the lowest top of the dipstick...have no leakage...my question is: WHY ?
The AT "gears" without problems...and it should remain so !

BTW / Ford Germany: today I have checked the Mustang (Ford Germany sells this model here !) and the 5.0 and the 2.3 uses the same Mercon LV !!!

Need your help !
Had decided to change the AT fluid because of too low level... My dealer says to me that no leakage is shown under the car, why I will change the fluid, only fill up and so on... Now I checked it today / see the pictures / is this a leakage of trans fluid or engine oil (engine to AT case) ?
It seems to me that the seal of the AT is not the cause of these patterns...

IMG_20170723_125121 x...jpg

IMG_20170723_125206 x...jpg

Back