Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope you figure that out soon, and let me know what the trick is to disconnect the two cables ahead of the LR wheel. I need to move my cable inboard of the strut rod for more tire clearance. I got the one on my Mercury apart, but that was 2004 I think. I forgot what I did that didn't get me hurt. That connection is tough, spring steel pinches the cable end/tip, tightly.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I hope you figure that out soon, and let me know what the trick is to disconnect the two cables ahead of the LR wheel. I need to move my cable inboard of the strut rod for more tire clearance. I got the one on my Mercury apart, but that was 2004 I think. I forgot what I did that didn't get me hurt. That connection is tough, spring steel pinches the cable end/tip, tightly.

Ok, if you look at the park brake pedal assembly you will see 3 holes with rounded edges.

the middle one is what you want. Find the largest diameter phillips screwdriver or better yet, drill bit that will fit into the hole.

Reach under the driver side door and pull the e brake cable and have a friend poke the tool thru the hole. Or, you poke while he tugs. Or she. Sex doesn't matter for this type of poking.

this should hold the slack in the ebrake cable for you when you slowly release it against the stop tool of choice. Now you can take the cable fittings apart.

Hope this helps.

One of these days, I just need to get out your way and we can have a wrench/fix all the little things deal. But this heat needs to go away first! LOL

One of these days, I just need to get out your way and we can have a wrench/fix all the little things deal. But this heat needs to go away first! LOL

Ryan, I have a hot driveway solution.

I bought a 12' strip of misters off amazon. I then zip tied them around my 48" shop fan. 6 mister nozzles spray into the fast moving air.

Add a patio umbrella and we're good to go.

I like that. I use my little 24" fan to keep the mosquitoes away for the most part. Maybe it's time to add some water to the fan/air. We're hitting the 90's all this week, I think Summer has settled in.

If you get the same one I did for around 15.00 or so, it comes with a set of replacement nozzles. None of mine have clogged yet though.
You just hook it to a garden hose, and turn the flow down low. The hose will build pressure to keep them going once it is set correctly. They do bleed air very slowly though, so pre bleed the hose before connecting it. I Just kink the hose and connect it.

oops, it's a bit higher now, but this is very close if not the same thing. mine is longer than 10 feet, but I reckon they are just claiming the space of misters

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-20066-...=1500338347&sr=8-1&keywords=misters+for+patio

They are meant to be strung in line with each other so you need to find a tiny rubber plug for the nipple on the end. If you have a vacuum plug set it's in there.

It honestly does cool the air for about 20 feet out and about 12 feet wide with the aid of the forced air. about 3-6 feet away it will develop a damp area on the floor, so it does have to be positioned for the best results. Still, all last weekend I had it running on Betty's Hiney with a patio umbrella. The heat was no concern. I turned it off when the sun went behind the trees every night of course.

Tip , obvious but nevertheless I might caution, make sure the fan is turned on before misting. Otherwise mist will go into your fan. For them to work real good I have the misters set at about a 90 degree angle to the air flow. They would spray into the fan if it was off.

Cool, and I might like to be able to do that at work, in the car with the window down(hmm)?

Betty's roof rack bars were peeling so today is the day.I don't think they have ever been taken off. The layer of butt fudge mud under the weatherstripping, and between the stripping and racks, was pretty thick. I also has some black stuff , tree sap mixed with coke dust. I guess I need to take a step stool with me to the car wash because just spraying it and going on doesn't cut it. I have to start paying more attention up there. it was nasty. Not much better when clean but it has been scrubbed.
Back to the rails. I scuffed them with some scotch brites and purple power degreaser, then let them dry in the sun and scuffed again with 100 grit paper using my hand as a backer. Blew them off with air and wiped them down with laquer thinner.
I sprayed a light coat of black sandable primer that I did not sand before some flat black econo can paint. I have them outside in nature's oven now. It's going to be a hot day again and I just realized I need to mow. Something for evening.

Did you consider powder coating the rack pieces? There are only four to do and they have some rubber parts attached too. I've got a Mounty in the JY here that I want to go get the roof racks from. I hate the Explorer racks, and unfortunately I discovered the holes are drilled in different locations on the roof. But I will install the Mercury racks, even if I have to fill holes and drill new ones.

I think I'd prefer a semi-gloss black, I think full gloss might attract too much attention.

Man Jon, you're gonna have that thing looking brand new. I'm going to have to take the roof rack off of mine and get it cleaned and painted soon. But gotta find a house to do it at first. Not sure my Father in Law would appreciate risking paint on his garage floor.. lol

alas, sad day. The flat black makes them look worse than when I started. And, it's like a chalk board. if anything touches it leaves a mark. poop.

It's not peeling anymore though. Satin black would have been better.

If they were made of metal I would powdercoat them for sure. It's plastic. all of it.

I've seen aerosol cans of paint that are supposed to match the satin black trim on most vehicles. I wonder if that would work very well.

The Explorer rack looked like aluminum when I was trying to straighten out the rear crossbar. I do recall that the Mountaineer main side rails are plastic. I forgot that until you posted plastic. Are the crossbars plastic too, that sucks?

Today, is hot. Hot hot hot, in toe peeeka!

I know I need to mow, so ignore that. I got the back yard cut so my lil dog would go out there. If it gets too long she pees on the deck. At least that won't happen, but today, this will.

021.JPG

023.JPG

Very cool.

Awesome! did you just pick that up or was it used/borrowed?

Awesome! did you just pick that up or was it used/borrowed?

well, to be honest another forum member, Gmanpaint, you know that guy, said I needed it so I said yeah i do so he said he'd buy it for us.
He's a heck of a guy really.
The extension is a factory warranty reject. Box was all smashed, but the finish is good. The inside basket pieces where the extension joins are off center, front to rear, by about 1/4" so it is a throw away. You have to really look for that to see it though. It's like there is a gap between the basket 1/2" on the rear, they touch on the front. where the baskets meet.

Lemme rephrase that.
023-jpg.jpg

Aint happenning today! Fake news!

I'm done. I sat down for a while and locked the f up. good times. Someone better vacuum the rug because I am going to spend the night down there.

Will you be mounting that to the Explorer rails on the Mercury? I'm wondering if that is a simple install, and if I might be able to seal it with a cover for rain(plus a bungee net hold down thing over the top). I've never planned to use the roof of my 99 truck at work, but parcels are killer from Amazon now.

Well if you can't get it to fit the Mounty I'd sure like to have it for the Explorer! :)

Back