P0741 on 5r55e after fluid filter change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0741 on 5r55e after fluid filter change

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
I was having no problems with the transmission but thought it time for a fluid/filter change at 160k. Now I'm getting a flashing o/d light and a p0741 code. I've read thru a number of posts and still am not certain how to approach this. Is it possible I damaged the TCC solenoid? I had a devil of a time getting the pan off and on due to it being jammed right up to the cat. Should I attempt to replace that solenoid (and the EPC for good measure). I understand the can be replaced without removing the valve body. Anyone have any ideas? I just can't buy its a coincidence that the TC went out because of a fluid change. This has been discussed a little on another thread I had about the difficulty of getting to the pan. I'm hoping posting here will bring more focused help on the problem. Someone posted a set of instructions for electrical testing but they sort of ran over my head, sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The P0741 code will set if the converter wont engage, the most common failure for this code is the TCC solenoid, and can be replaced without removing the valve body. If this does not fix the code the other reasons include the valve body itself or pump and or converter issues.

I would replace the solenoid first and maybe you will be able to tell if it was damaged while installing the pan, the EPC can also be replaced at this time without removing the valve body.

The P0741 code will set if the converter wont engage, the most common failure for this code is the TCC solenoid, and can be replaced without removing the valve body. If this does not fix the code the other reasons include the valve body itself or pump and or converter issues.

I would replace the solenoid first and maybe you will be able to tell if it was damaged while installing the pan, the EPC can also be replaced at this time without removing the valve body.
I read somewhere on the forum that a new solenoid bracket should be included also. Do you know what that is about?

Sometimes the bracket that holds the solenoids in the valve body will break and allow the solenoid to move away from its bore, I have only see it a few times but it does happen.

Sometimes the bracket that holds the solenoids in the valve body will break and allow the solenoid to move away from its bore, I have only see it a few times but it does happen.
Are these brackets available or are we talking about a trip to the Pull-A-Part yard. I've seen the solenoids for sale but not the brackets. Also are these solenoids going to be the same for any 5r55e or are they particular to 2wd and 4wd as I have a 4wd.

I had always found one with the spare parts we have for this unit, but this should be what your looking for.

5r55e Bracket.JPG

Also check your wiring harness for missing insulation and would definitely recommend replacing the epc when your in there they usually go bad first and can cause all sorts of problems you can test all of your solenoid s with a multi meter (google the resistance specs or get a astg manual you can downlOad it for free 5r55e)but that is not a guarantee they could still be bad mechanically if you find the harness needs replacement I'd also recommend updating your separator plate gasket also just for kicks try resetting the pcm because Iv had tcc lockup issues before then even after a complete rebuild,shift kit, solenoids, and new torque converter it came back until I cleared the pcm, pcm might have to relearn sometimes they get stubborn.

And go to the dealer or buy from a popular reputable online transmission parts supplier I got screwed on eBay buying "remanufactured" solenoid s at least two of them were completely shot

And go to the dealer or buy from a popular reputable online transmission parts supplier I got screwed on eBay buying "remanufactured" solenoid s at least two of them were completely shot
I did reset the pcm, that didn't help unless you think it might take more than one try.

I had planned on buying only solenoids listed as new. That reman stuff scares me on these parts for some reason. I'm also considering taking it to someone to have this done as I don't have a place of my own to work and hate tying up someone else's garage for the time it would take me to do this. I know it should only be a couple of hours but it took me a day and a half to get the pan off and back on laying on my back with it so tight with the cat and everything.

And astg manual is a rebuild manual for your transmission and also contains all the information you need to troubleshoot and test the transmission components you can download it for free just google it I'd want to bet you probably disturbed the solenoid or the wiring harness when you replaced the filter when they get old they get brittle and wiring falls apart I would advise to take it in somewhere that offers a warranty on there work and knows there stuff if you got the money because you can screw up the gaskets on the valve body when you remove it or reinstall it plus it has to be torqued to spec in sequence (astg manual has the instructions ) could end up being a real headache if you don't have the patience and the right tools and a clean garage.Iv wasted countless quarts of atf dropping the pan over and over before I finally got it right (dang eBay junk!)

And astg manual is a rebuild manual for your transmission and also contains all the information you need to troubleshoot and test the transmission components you can download it for free just google it I'd want to bet you probably disturbed the solenoid or the wiring harness when you replaced the filter when they get old they get brittle and wiring falls apart I would advise to take it in somewhere that offers a warranty on there work and knows there stuff if you got the money because you can screw up the gaskets on the valve body when you remove it or reinstall it plus it has to be torqued to spec in sequence (astg manual has the instructions ) could end up being a real headache if you don't have the patience and the right tools and a clean garage.Iv wasted countless quarts of atf dropping the pan over and over before I finally got it right (dang eBay junk!)
I was under the impression that the solenoids could be replaced without removing the valve body, at least according to a post I read here on the forum. Is that incorrect?

But iirc I don't think you have to drop the valve body to replace the wiring harness you can also test the harness point to point on the pins of the connector but it was easier for me to just spend the $50 extra during my rebuild since mine was on pretty bad shape upon close inspection anyway you also replace the fliud temp sensor with the new harness because it's built into it

No You don't have to replace the valve body to replace the solenoids

No You don't have to drop the valve body to replace the solenoids

No You don't have to replace the valve body to replace the solenoids
Not replace, I'm asking about just dropping it. I am sure I read the solenoids can be replaced without dropping the vb.

Nevermind, you answered before I saw it, thanks. There was screw loose from thr vb in the pan when I took it off. I put it back and torqued them all.

I was babbling on about the wiring harness lol the solenoid change is easy just get quality parts be careful not to damge the o -rings lube them with atf upon installation make sure there seated all the way in and be very clean and meticulous also be sure to check the wiring and connectors.

I definitely recommend down loading that manual before you do anything you'll learn a lot about your transmission.

Sent
I was babbling on about the wiring harness lol the solenoid change is easy just get quality parts be careful not to damge the o -rings lube them with atf upon installation make sure there seated all the way in and be very clean and meticulous also be sure to check the wiring and connectors.
I appreciate the info. The shop I'm going to ask to do this has a sterling reputation. I just hope I can get them to do a job this small.

Google 5r55e ATSG sorry I got it wrong above I said astg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I definitely recommend down loading that manual before you do anything you'll learn a lot about your transmission.
Already downloaded

Back