Timing Chain Already??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Already???

i just talked to the dealer service and they told me if its the sensor its not covered.will be this expensive ?
I don't know that much about the internal parts or which sensor they are referring to. The 'Guide' talks about several sensors that are covered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it 5yrs/60000 miles?coz i received back in march my warranty expired.so what warranty was that then?thanks for the info.im going to check my warranty info.

3yr/36k is bumper to bumper. 5yr/60k is engine trans.

It really depends on what the problem is. Here is the powertrain coverage for your engine.

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

thank you guys.my service appointment with them is not till august 2nd.im just worried that it may cause more problem when driving it,but this is my only means of transportation going to work.is it safe to drive this?

not to stir anything but can a cam or crank sensor be covered under an emission warranty?

I guess this is the flaw for having a high performance engine.

I feel the extended service intervals are the cause of premature timing wear and phaser issues. Any vehicle with vvt should have an oil change every 5k miles or sooner in my opinion.

I feel the extended service intervals are the cause of premature timing wear and phaser issues. Any vehicle with vvt should have an oil change every 5k miles or sooner in my opinion.
I don't get the correlation between an oil change and timing chain?

How many people do you know check their oil level in their "newer" car between oil changes? These 7500 and 10k mi intervals leave alot of time for things to go wrong. A small oil leak unnoticed can lead up to 2 qts low between oil changes. You can have the best oil in there money can buy, if there just isn't enough of it the timing tensioners won't hold up under low oil pressure.

Side note: I have done a set of phasers, water pump and chains on an 09 flex before with just under 100k mi. It had a phaser lock retarded and was throwing similar codes. Oil level was good and it was clean. Come to find out there was a tsb on the early 3.7s and they had common issues with the phasers with a certain part number. Pretty sure it was limited to 2009-10 or so though.

How many people do you know check their oil level in their "newer" car between oil changes? These 7500 and 10k mi intervals leave alot of time for things to go wrong. A small oil leak unnoticed can lead up to 2 qts low between oil changes. You can have the best oil in there money can buy, if there just isn't enough of it the timing tensioners won't hold up under low oil pressure.

Side note: I have done a set of phasers, water pump and chains on an 09 flex before with just under 100k mi. It had a phaser lock retarded and was throwing similar codes. Oil level was good and it was clean. Come to find out there was a tsb on the early 3.7s and they had common issues with the phasers with a certain part number. Pretty sure it was limited to 2009-10 or so though.
2 quarts is quite a bit and should raise eyebrows.

this morning when i started the car the check engine light was gone,the whole day while i was driving it.tonight comming to work it showed up again.is this common?i was worried free the whole day now stress again.my question wasnt answered on the previews post though, if its ok to drive it for 2 weeks till ford
service it?as this is my only mode of transportation to work.

this morning when i started the car the check engine light was gone,the whole day while i was driving it.tonight comming to work it showed up again.is this common?i was worried free the whole day now stress again.my question wasnt answered on the previews post though, if its ok to drive it for 2 weeks till ford
service it?as this is my only mode of transportation to work.
A CEL could be a variety of things from minor to serious.
You need to scan it, either buying an OBD unit yourself, or bring it in to a local shop.parts store to get it hooked up and see what the DTC is.

If the CEL came on then it set a code that can be retrieved. Don't just have it cleared but get the code.

On the oil change and not checking it in 10,000 miles, yes there are those that will not check their oil ever and just change it once in a vehicles life span. I worked with a person that didn't check the oil until the oil light would come on.

Nobody knows if It is safe or not but IMO if your engine goes.. Well then you have yourbpowertrain covering it lol.

The way Ford's CEL is supposed to work is, if it is solid, it is ok to drive but should be serviced. If it is flashing, shut down immediately and get it towed.

its the same code re appearing.P0016.i drove it for 3 days no engine light.today here it is again.i cancelled my appointment at ford because theres no engine light.they cant do anything unless theres a check engine light is on they said.oil change was done a month ago before this check engine light came last 2 weeks.so just keep driving it ?as mentioned it comes and go the check engine light.

P0016 is a code for timing but it does not necessarily mean it is the timing chain. It could be a camshaft speed sensor, the tensioner, a solenoid in the VVT system etc. Impossible without doing a more thorough inspection. Good luck

all those things mentioned are still covered on powertrain warranty,right?

The code will be stored in the computer even if the check engine light goes off.

2013 ex sport. Got P0016 at 92k. Timing chain replacement. Had them do a water pump at the same time

2013 ex sport. Got P0016 at 92k. Timing chain replacement. Had them do a water pump at the same time

Smart move to have you water pump done at the same time. Since the posts above talk about oil change interval, how often did you change your oil and what type of oil did you use, conventional or synthetic?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2013 Explorer Sport that was throwing a P0016 code. I tried swapping the CPS from bank 1 to bank 2, cleared the codes, and the same P0016 code reappeared two days later, so it did not follow the original sensor.

It's at the dealership now for diagnosis. I will update when I hear more.

I purchased the vehicle used in August 2016 with 28k miles. It now has 74,6xx miles. Other than a very occasional rough idle, I don't have any other symptoms or driveability issues.

Back