List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Those paint issues are NOT covered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just noticed that mine is doing the same! My bumper to bumper or is out by 800 miles. I wonder if this will be covered.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You should be covered for that issue. See the link in post #743 on the previous page.

Peter

2014 Explorer, paint bubbling in 5 places on my hood, just shy of 67k miles.

Has anyone had this issue covered by the Ford under the 5/100 warranty? Seems pretty cut and dry.

Has anyone had this issue covered by the Ford under the 5/100 warranty? Seems pretty cut and dry.
Are you referring to the TSB? If so, then YES.

Peter

Are you referring to the TSB? If so, then YES.

Peter

Paint is not covered by an ESP therefore the TSB would not be covered by an ESP.

Paint is not covered by an ESP therefore the TSB would not be covered by an ESP.
Is this a riddle?
Isn't the ESP an extension of the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper; which covers this issue?

I think some of the confusion is due to the fact that the Warranty Guide for 2016 and 2017 models covers this issue;
(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven..............If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Is this a riddle?
Isn't the ESP an extension of the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper; which covers this issue?
blwnsmoke is correct in that the ESP does not cover paint. The ESP is not a direct all inclusive extension of the factory warranty. It has certain exclusions such paint, trim, upholstery and several other items.

I have this bubbling issue around the hood area also and two small chips. Hoping Ford will repair it for me without charge.
Bubbling paint has been an issue for roughly 16 years on numerous models. Ford will not fix it without a fight. If you go to 'Ford/Mercury Peeling Paint Complaints' on Facebook, you will find a host of information on the problem to include TSB's, testing results, the vehicles affected, the only effective way to fix the problem (replace the metal part as contaminated metal is usually the problem), and how to sue Ford. Taking the issue to your dealership is a waste of time 99% of the time according to feedback from members who shared their experiences.

Bubbling paint has been an issue for roughly 16 years on numerous models. Ford will not fix it without a fight. If you go to 'Ford/Mercury Peeling Paint Complaints' on Facebook, you will find a host of information on the problem to include TSB's, testing results, the vehicles affected, the only effective way to fix the problem (replace the metal part as contaminated metal is usually the problem), and how to sue Ford. Taking the issue to your dealership is a waste of time 99% of the time according to feedback from members who shared their experiences.
For the 5th gen Explorer this bubbling issue seems to be isolated to the front edge of the aluminum hood.

Peter

Looks like I’m gonna need to get my hood fixed. Shut my hood today and a big chunk of paint came off. Anyone do the tsb and not have problems after?

I have a 2013 Sport. Way over the warranty coverage. Brought it in for the hood rust issue. Pictures were taken and sent to Ford. No argument. They fixed it. Free of charge.

I have a 2013 Sport. Way over the warranty coverage. Brought it in for the hood rust issue. Pictures were taken and sent to Ford. No argument. They fixed it. Free of charge.
When was this? And where?

A lot of folks would like more info on this.... Thanks!

Wanted to chime in here too. Just came across this thread as my car is going in for repair for a different issue and I wanted to get my hood fixed too.

I had been reporting this issue on my Explorer for over 2 years now (I had brought the explorer in about 8 times to have the rear view camera fixed), every time the dealerships told me "it has to be rusted through the aluminum for Ford to cover it" or "Ford won't cover it". I had asked for a claim to be submitted anyways, every time I never heard anything more. I'm guessing it was never submitted.

I'm going to call Ford directly about this now since there is a TSB related to the issue and the fact I've been ignored so many times.

Wanted to chime in here too. Just came across this thread as my car is going in for repair for a different issue and I wanted to get my hood fixed too.

I had been reporting this issue on my Explorer for over 2 years now (I had brought the explorer in about 8 times to have the rear view camera fixed), every time the dealerships told me "it has to be rusted through the aluminum for Ford to cover it" or "Ford won't cover it". I had asked for a claim to be submitted anyways, every time I never heard anything more. I'm guessing it was never submitted.

I'm going to call Ford directly about this now since there is a TSB related to the issue and the fact I've been ignored so many times.
Keep in mind that a TSB is only performed without charge while the vehicle is under warranty. They can still do the work but more than likely you will have to pay for it.

Peter

Keep in mind that a TSB is only performed without charge while the vehicle is under warranty. They can still do the work but more than likely you will have to pay for it.

Peter
I had reported this while under both the 36k and the 100k warranty, plus I had extended bumper to bumper.

I had reported this while under both the 36k and the 100k warranty, plus I had extended bumper to bumper.
If it was noted on your invoices/work orders then you may have a case, but in the end it is going to be up to Ford, not the dealer, to approve any warranty work.
Good luck.

Peter

Lay a formal complaint with Ford about your dealer treating you like that. It actually makes the dealer principal have to defend themselves to Ford Regional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a 2014 Explorer Sport. I noticed a significant amount of bubbling, presumably rust along the leading edge of the hood. Is this a common problem with the Explorer? The truck is only 2 1/2 years old? Conveniently, I am a few thousand miles outside of warranty. Is Ford doing anything about it? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Tom

Back