Screaming transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Screaming transmission

Shadowwolf66

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
Hello,
I recently swapped my auto tranny to a manual. I did a clutch job and replaced the slave and mater cylinders also. But when I went to start it up after getting It all together, without drivelines installed if that is relevant, it made a very loud screeching noise. Almost like a loose belt but the belt is fine. And I had no issues shifting into gear while the engine was running and the clutch petal was not depressed. It fell right into gear. When it was in neutral the transmission was not spinning but when shifted into gear it would start to spin. I can not figure out where the noise is coming from. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What type of oil did you fill the transmission with and is the fluid at the proper fill level? Does it make that noise in any gear? Which transmission did you swap in?

I put oriellys brand atf in. Whatever the equivalent was. It was the proper level. And it did it whenever the engine was running. In gear out of gear. Clutch enganged and disengaged. And like I said it was shifting without the clutch. It was a m5od. I don't know which one it came out of a donor 91 explorer. That could have had any m5od in it.

what about the pilot bearing ??? as it makes the noise at all times its not the throwout bearing . its that or the trans might not be good . did you line the clutch up ?? Im not saying you dont know what your doing just trying to give you some thoughts to process . you keep us informed here we will do all we can to help . Best of luck .

Pilot bearing was replaced with the clutch. And everything worked fine before I put the new slave and master cylinder in. The previous owner did a clutch job and slave before I bought the donor rig. I kept the same slave and master cylinder replaced the clutch. But I misnrouted the clutch line and burned through the clutch line so I decided to put a new slave in as well as the new master. The first time everything worked fine. It did sit for about 2 weeks with the tranny bolted to the engine but not supported under the rig. But I don't think that could have caused any issues.

It is a 4x4 with an automatic transfer case. If that is relevant. And like I said I was running it without either driveline hooked up. So I did not have to take it back off if I had to drop the tranny again.

It might be a pulley or something , might be caused by it sitting unsupported . Try to verify exactly where the squeeling is coming from . check all the pullies etc.

The only pully that would have had pressure on it from what I could see was the fan pully. Because the fan sitting against the shroud kept it from tilting to much.

yep & it might have taken out the fan clutch or something else . it is worth checking over real good .

It does sound like a bad belt. A high pitched squeal. Would that sound carry through and make it sound like it could possibly be in the tranny?

The only pully that would have had pressure on it from what I could see was the fan pully. Because the fan sitting against the shroud kept it from tilting to much.
remove the belt and run it for a second to see if the noise goes away. I think the noise is coming from the engine. When the clutch is pressed in, the pilot and slave bearing are turning but not the input shaft of the transmission. When the clutch released the input shaft is turning, not the pilot or slave bearing. If the noise was coming from the clutch or transmission it should change as you press the pedal.

Would not having a drive line allow it to shift into gear running with no clutch (master was disconnected)

Because there is no resistance of the rear axle and tires? Nothing to put pressure against the gears.

I have heard that noise on a Corvette, when the flywheel was missing some teeth. May not be relevant, especially since I know almost nothing about the M5OD, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

So I ran it without the belt. It is not coming from the front end of the engine. When I run it without the shifter in the tranny is sounds more like a whirling sound. Not so much a belt scream anymore. My starter is a little loose, I could not find a wobbly socket to tighten it. I really don't want to pull the tranny again without knowing what could possibly be wrong. It has a new clutch and flywheel, slave, and master. It did not start till after I changed the slave. Could I have gotten a bad slave?

Back