What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Sweet, glad you got it going. You should edit the post above where your pictures disappeared so that others can see the work you did. :)
Love the new avatar.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the entire hood, lights, bumper, and front roof covered in Xpel Ultimate film today by my friend Eric at TruShine. Just say NO to rock chips!!!

20645356_10159188064710644_1132230821573917638_o.jpg

Had the entire hood, lights, bumper, and front roof covered in Xpel Ultimate film today by my friend Eric at TruShine. Just say NO to rock chips!!!

20645356_10159188064710644_1132230821573917638_o.jpg

Expel is great. I got into a accident from a on coming car (one car ran a red light, T-boned another car and that car hit me at a 45 degree) the only damage was the expel got scratched and tore. The only down side was when they removed the Expel some paint came off, so it's at the body shop for a bumper re-spray.

IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

Expel is great. I got into a accident from a on coming car (one car ran a red light, T-boned another car and that car hit me at a 45 degree) the only damage was the expel got scratched and tore. The only down side was when they removed the Expel some paint came off, so it's at the body shop for a bumper re-spray.

If you don't mind, how much did you two pay for the Xpel? I'm just trying to see if the quotes I received were good or not (also, what parts did you have covered?)

Thanks.

$1150 OTD for full hood, lights, bumper, and front roof. This might be a little higher than most but he comes to me and does top notch work...

He also reapplied the Explorer hood badge but I'm going to order a black one and remove this gray one. I think the black will look better on my gray explorer.

I had EVERYTHING (including the fenders, mirrors and door cups) from the front door forward covered. If you draw a line down the drivers door and go forward it's covered.

I received quotes from $1200.00 to $1600.00 (all using Expel). In some cases if you tell them you will pay with $100.00 bills they will knock a hundred off or two off.

$1150 OTD for full hood, lights, bumper, and front roof. This might be a little higher than most but he comes to me and does top notch work...

He also reapplied the Explorer hood badge but I'm going to order a black one and remove this gray one. I think the black will look better on my gray explorer.

Be careful who you buy it from. I bought a black one and once applied, and the clear film was pulled off, it was all kinds of messed up. Then, removing it, I had to spend some quality time with a solvent to get the adhesive off. Whatever they used on it, it was meant to stay on until the world ends.

That is why I decided against the clear film protection, removing it almost always removes parts of your paint.

That is why I decided against the clear film protection, removing it almost always removes parts of your paint.

It's should not remove the paint if the paint was applied correctly. From Xpel:

"It is highly unlikely for paint protection film to harm OEM paint. Paint systems used on modern assembly lines today produce a minimum bond strength of 16 MPa and maximum of 25 MPa between the panel and the paint depending on color, iridescence and the system used. Our film’s bond to the painted surface at normal state (immediately following installation) is .0753 MPa. Even after years of heat and sun, the bond between the film and the paint increases to only 0.17 MPa. What that means is in the absolute worst case scenario, the bond of factory paint to the panel is over 94 times stronger than the bond of our film to the paint. In the best case, the paint is 332 times stronger.

That being said, it is still recommended to have a professional remove the film in accordance with our published guidelines."

It's should not remove the paint if the paint was applied correctly. From Xpel:

"It is highly unlikely for paint protection film to harm OEM paint. Paint systems used on modern assembly lines today produce a minimum bond strength of 16 MPa and maximum of 25 MPa between the panel and the paint depending on color, iridescence and the system used. Our film’s bond to the painted surface at normal state (immediately following installation) is .0753 MPa. Even after years of heat and sun, the bond between the film and the paint increases to only 0.17 MPa. What that means is in the absolute worst case scenario, the bond of factory paint to the panel is over 94 times stronger than the bond of our film to the paint. In the best case, the paint is 332 times stronger.

That being said, it is still recommended to have a professional remove the film in accordance with our published guidelines."
Did they take aluminum hoods into consideration? Also note the statement quoted says "should not.."

When I had the Expel put on I asked the installer if it could remove paint when taking it off. He was up front and said it could happen, in fact it's happen to him twice... oops 3 times now with mine.

Did they take aluminum hoods into consideration? Also note the statement quoted says "should not.."

The area where the paint came off was on the plastic bumper (air scoop to the side of the clear lens) and this showed no damage to the Expel. This is a very thin edge and I wonder if the paint was thin in this area. It was removed by and Expel installer and not the body shop.

I made the choice, deal with rock chips or chance having paint come off when the Expel is removed. I will have the Expel installed on the bumper cover after the paint cures.

So I shot this today for all of you wondering about the tone/sound difference with my Borla S-Type Cat-Exhaust several weeks later.
Facts:
- I've driven over 2K miles since the install 3 weeks ago.
- I recognize the control areas are different with one being in the complete outdoors and one in an open garage.
- Control areas are in a fairly quiet area.
I'll take another video another 3-4 weeks and another 2K - 3K later as well as a drive around inside the cabin and outside the cabin.
I hope you enjoy!

Sounds AWESOME!!!!! I haven't been around much, just bought a 2017 (brand new) F150 Supercrew 5.0 in Lightning Blue to be best friends with my 2016 Explorer.

I think that system is slick, no hardware changeouts and completely stock look.

Navigation ordered from the factory isn't much cheaper so it's not a bad deal.
I know this is an older thread but my ford dealership tells me adding factory nav is impossible and I found ODB Genie on eBay. I'm curious if anyone here has purchased it and installed themselves and would recommend it?

As I've mentioned previously Mrs. Squirrel is hesitant to let me change out the front and rear ovals. My plan is to buy a set online, paint them, put them back together and then put them on the Ex. I'm thinking painting the 'Ford' and the small trim ring (just inside of the blue) orange and the blue areas (as well as the big trim ring) black. I think I'll like the looks of this, but won't know for sure until I actually do it. If I don't like the looks I'll probably paint the blue areas magnetic metallic and the chrome areas black.

At any rate all of that planning is moot until I can get the Mrs. on board. Today was the first step. Matte black vinyl over the front and rear ovals. I was initially going to do the chrome trim ring as well (and still might eventually), but the matte black really toned down the look of it (at least to me) and I'm going to hold off for now. Mrs. Squirrel doesn't hate it, so that's a positive, haha. I don't think she's fully on board yet, either, but I didn't really expect her to be. But this is my way of easing her into the painted ovals mentioned above.

The front turned out much more 'defined' than the rear. Took a hair dryer to both for just a bit, but will rely on sunlight to allow it to fully 'cure' (for lack of better phrasing) and for a few imperfections to go away (was told they would by the guy who sold me the vinyl.)

(And yes, he's dirty. I only cleaned the surfaces I was working on. Going on vacation this Sunday and going to detail it prior to leaving.) :)

20170814_161100.jpg

20170814_161114.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got to get me some of that. I've been using a quick detailer that does a great job, but it only lasts for a few washes.

Also, looks great.

Back