What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Got my front passenger/driver windows tinted today with 35% ....looks good with the all black trim.

Now just gotta deal with the grey painted pocket wheels.

The headlights looked so cool but I couldn't see anything at night. Had them lightened.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What AWD mode did you have that in?.....front wheels shouldn't be spinning like that.
So we were coming off really easy dirt road so I didn't have it in any mode. Due to the excitement of this obstacle and wanting to try it, I didn't put it to any mode when I went down to the bottom of the wash that's why I paused down there. I went ahead and put it to the first mode, which has the pine tree, I think it's called mud and ruts? Later on at a different obstacle with more sand I tried the desert mode.
I believe the mud and ruts let's you spin out a bit more, while the desert mode really controls the power a lot more and doesn't let you spin out since you could easily dig yourself in when driving on sand. Not sure about the exact difference though, that's just my guess.
For future, I will only use the mud and ruts mode for mud only.

Do you have any recommendations? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

So we were coming off really easy dirt road so I didn't have it in any mode. Due to the excitement of this obstacle and wanting to try it, I didn't put it to any mode when I went down to the bottom of the wash that's why I paused down there. I went ahead and put it to the first mode, which has the pine tree, I think it's called mud and ruts? Later on at a different obstacle with more sand I tried the desert mode.
I believe the mud and ruts let's you spin out a bit more, while the desert mode really controls the power a lot more and doesn't let you spin out since you could easily dig yourself in when driving on sand. Not sure about the exact difference though, that's just my guess.
For future, I will only use the mud and ruts mode for mud only.

Do you have any recommendations? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

I'm thinking sand mode because it's likely the closest to that dry sandy AZ terrain but that might not be correct. It would actually be interesting to do that same obstacle in different modes to see how the Terrain Management system actually interprets the terrain and powers the wheels independently.

Mine is too much of a prettyboy SUV to ever take it on terrain like that, one scratch on my Shadow Black paint and my interior would be soaking wet from all the tears!

I'm thinking sand mode because it's likely the closest to that dry sandy AZ terrain but that might not be correct. It would actually be interesting to do that same obstacle in different modes to see how the Terrain Management system actually interprets the terrain and powers the wheels independently.

Mine is too much of a prettyboy SUV to ever take it on terrain like that, one scratch on my Shadow Black paint and my interior would be soaking wet from all the tears!

Haha I hear you. Me on the other hand.... I got sad when I washed all the mud and dirt off, it looks so much better after hitting a puddle or all dusty!

I have almost 100k miles on it now. I bought it with 70k over 2 years ago. About a year ago my job gave me a company car ( a gorgeous Prius haha) so the Ex sleeps in the garage all day and has become our weekend warrior. So it gets pretty spoiled for the most part, but taking it off road was a blast! And a few scratches here and there it's ok by me.

Has anyone replaced their front hood lettering from Explorer to Interceptor?

I'm at 32k miles now so I went ahead and ordered the AEM drop in dry flow filter and replaced the stock filter Wednesday night. For $30 I would say its a very high quality drop in filter that wont need to be oiled.

No noticeable sound difference. Truck feels a little more responsive, but I am sure that is the placebo effect.

Drive 4 hours to NC this weekend so I'll be able to see if it actually helps with MPG. I doubt it will, but I still like it.

#nolongerstock

haha

Figured I would get back in here with my impressions.

Truck definitely feels more responsive, but I would say that's it. Probably no actual power difference and no noise difference.

I was driving from MD to NC and cruising speeds were 70-90mph over the 4.5hr trip. On the way down I was averaging 21.2mpg. It was raining and I did have to drive through VA where everyone likes to slam on their brakes then speed back up to 80mph and continuously repeat this process.

Went to a concert on Saturday night and used the truck to tailgate so that hurt my overall MPG, but I believe it was back around 20 when we left to head home on Sunday. I was back up to 21 mpg by the time we got home Sunday night.

So I would guess that is about normal and the drop in filter has zero affect on MPG.

Still like the filter and would buy it again. $30 for an drop in filter that needs to be washed every 50k miles is a good deal in my mind.

I said, "Why not?"

IMG_3131.JPG
IMG_3132.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG

Are they aluminum? How much? How hard to put on? Where did you get them? And, to modify a line from Batman just a bit 'do they come in orange?' :)

Oh, and of course....they look good. :)

They're aluminum. About $54. Took a while to get here but they're so easy to install. eBay. Comes in 3 colors (red, blue and black). You can probably find other colors. Link below the photo.
IMG_3122.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Add-On...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

BTW - This is getting done 9/7/17. AutoWorks Russia finally got back to me. They're custom panels made for a sport and they wanted $600 for it. I've got the guys going to do a custom vinyl job for $150 and found almost the exact same color. My set up/console is a little different. Post pics when I've got it done!
IMG_2665.JPG

You are now this forums official "Mod King"

As I've mentioned previously Mrs. Squirrel is hesitant to let me change out the front and rear ovals. My plan is to buy a set online, paint them, put them back together and then put them on the Ex. I'm thinking painting the 'Ford' and the small trim ring (just inside of the blue) orange and the blue areas (as well as the big trim ring) black. I think I'll like the looks of this, but won't know for sure until I actually do it. If I don't like the looks I'll probably paint the blue areas magnetic metallic and the chrome areas black.

At any rate all of that planning is moot until I can get the Mrs. on board. Today was the first step. Matte black vinyl over the front and rear ovals. I was initially going to do the chrome trim ring as well (and still might eventually), but the matte black really toned down the look of it (at least to me) and I'm going to hold off for now. Mrs. Squirrel doesn't hate it, so that's a positive, haha. I don't think she's fully on board yet, either, but I didn't really expect her to be. But this is my way of easing her into the painted ovals mentioned above.

The front turned out much more 'defined' than the rear. Took a hair dryer to both for just a bit, but will rely on sunlight to allow it to fully 'cure' (for lack of better phrasing) and for a few imperfections to go away (was told they would by the guy who sold me the vinyl.)

(And yes, he's dirty. I only cleaned the surfaces I was working on. Going on vacation this Sunday and going to detail it prior to leaving.) :)

View attachment 150332

View attachment 150333

Young squirrel always remember. it is easier and far better to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission

This weekend I wrapped my stock sport wheels in black...actually super impressed by how different it looks. This won't be permanent but it'll definitely hold me over until I buy new wheels!

Also did a full detail so she's nice and shiny for the photos!

Front wrapped, back stock...
IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2846.jpg
IMG_2847.jpg
IMG_2848.jpg

Definitely needs lowering springs but thats a job for another day

Thomas

Nice job guys looks great...now you both need Gorilla black lugnuts

Nice job guys looks great...now you both need Gorilla black lugnuts
I'm quoting Sgt, but this is pretty much directed at anyone who cares to answer (to allow me to continue being lazy and not look, haha.) What size lugs does the Explorer take? :)

Finally had time to detail under the hood today using Adams products http://adamspolishes.com/
Tomorrow if I have time the interior and paint will be next. Then we will have rain for the next 7 months

IMG_0930.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally had time to detail under the hood today using Adams products http://adamspolishes.com/
Tomorrow if I have time the interior and paint will be next. Then we will have rain for the next 7 months
Looks great. At least you don't have to shovel rain.:D

Peter

Back