PTU Problems | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum Kurt.:wave:
Sorry to read about the PTU issue. I can't recall anyone getting a shudder after having their PTU replaced. I wonder that because it only happens in 6th gear if the damaged PTU may have affected the transmission in some way? :dunno: You were probably in that gear when the PTU "exploded".

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum. The PTU exploded (literally) while travelling on the highway at 65 mph. Ford fixed the PTU, but now the vehicle shudders in 6th gear at about 65 mph under load. I've had it back to the dealer 10 times now. They still cannot identify the issue. It did this shudder twice right before the PTU blew. Happened on 4/1/17 and its now 8/24/17 and still not fixed. And it still smells horrible inside the cabin. I can't remove the odor. This all occurred at 24k miles. Anyone ever heard of this before?

Lemon Law....they have to buy it back now....3 attempts at the same problem.

Yeah, time for lemon law. Act fast, local laws might be cutting it close on the mileage you have now.

You can also call the Ford CRC and ask for a buyback request review. They'll probably deny it under cryptic terms--but if you want to give them a good faith bite at the apple, by all means. Then take it to your local attorney general if that doesn't work.

Lemon Law....they have to buy it back now....3 attempts at the same problem.

Not that simple, states vary by age and mileage.. some 12k, some 18k, some 24k.. have to look up their lemon law first to see.

Not that simple, states vary by age and mileage.. some 12k, some 18k, some 24k.. have to look up their lemon law first to see.

Not just dealer repair attempts on a single issue that cannot be resolved?

If their states says they are covered till 18,000 miles then 18k is it. If you are over, lemon law does not cover you.

So although I agree this would be something to look into to pursue lemon law, it is not as simple as 3 visits/attempts.

Just googled Pennsylvania's LL.

---

The law states that the manufacturer must correct any flaw, at no cost to you, that occurs under any of the following conditions:

• Within 1 year of the vehicle ownership.
  • Before the vehicle's odometer clicks out 12,000 miles.
  • While the express warranty is still valid.

Sorry to read about the PTU issue. I can't recall anyone getting a shudder after having their PTU replaced. I wonder that because it only happens in 6th gear if the damaged PTU may have affected the transmission in some way? :dunno: You were probably in that gear when the PTU "exploded".

Peter
Yeah, i was in 6th when it blew. It shuddered twice before it went - i felt the first shudder/hesitation (in 6th gear) about 2 miles prior, and then a firm hesitation just before it blew. I heard a loud metal clunk, and the whole vehicle shook. I've never seen so much smoke! I thought I was on fire. I must've looked like Halley's Comet. So now the shudder happens every time in 6th gear, under load. Too much gas and it shifts into 5th gear and stops shuddering.
So far the dealer replaced: the PTU, the drive shaft, both rear half axles, and additionally a leaking turbo.
They haven't been able to remove the horrible odor, and have tried an ionizer twice, but it still smells bad. Not as strong, but still noticable. I have become the air freshener guy at the store. :) Now I'm onto trying fabric sheets, and someone told me to try coffee grinds. That will be next!

Peter
Yeah, i was in 6th when it blew. It shuddered twice before it went - i felt the first shudder/hesitation (in 6th gear) about 2 miles prior, and then a firm hesitation just before it blew. I heard a loud metal clunk, and the whole vehicle shook. I've never seen so much smoke! I thought I was on fire. I must've looked like Halley's Comet. So now the shudder happens every time in 6th gear, under load. Too much gas and it shifts into 5th gear and stops shuddering.
So far the dealer replaced: the PTU, the drive shaft, both rear half axles, and additionally a leaking turbo.
They haven't been able to remove the horrible odor, and have tried an ionizer twice, but it still smells bad. Not as strong, but still noticable. I have become the air freshener guy at the store. :) Now I'm onto trying fabric sheets, and someone told me to try coffee grinds. That will be next!

I asked Ford Customer Care to replace the vehicle or issue a refund. They flat out told me "No, we don't do that". Nor am i covered under PA's Lemon Law.
The first dealer, L.B. Smith Ford, replaced the PTU, and i asked about the foul odor, and they told me the smell will wear off in time. I think it is using me to wear off, because i think i now stink from it!
It'll be 6 months soon, and it still smells, and i still have a shudder in 6th.
I am now going to Fred Beans Ford, and they are treating me WAY better, and promise to get to the bottom of it. It sounds like a tough issue to pinpoint. They first thought it was a miss, or possibly a bad coil. But they hooked up their equipment to it and confirmed the pistons are all firing normal, and there are no bad coils. Someone told me they ran into a similar problem in a Chevy Tahoe, and a bad Mass Air Flow sensor was the culprit.

Thanks for all your responses! I appreciate them.

My next visit to the dealer will be my 11th visit.
I like to think of the dealership as my home away from home... :)

I asked Ford Customer Care to replace the vehicle or issue a refund. They flat out told me "No, we don't do that". Nor am i covered under PA's Lemon Law.
The first dealer, L.B. Smith Ford, replaced the PTU, and i asked about the foul odor, and they told me the smell will wear off in time. I think it is using me to wear off, because i think i now stink from it!
It'll be 6 months soon, and it still smells, and i still have a shudder in 6th.
I am now going to Fred Beans Ford, and they are treating me WAY better, and promise to get to the bottom of it. It sounds like a tough issue to pinpoint. They first thought it was a miss, or possibly a bad coil. But they hooked up their equipment to it and confirmed the pistons are all firing normal, and there are no bad coils. Someone told me they ran into a similar problem in a Chevy Tahoe, and a bad Mass Air Flow sensor was the culprit.

Thanks for all your responses! I appreciate them.
When the shudder disappeared in 5th gear were you still at the same speed as you were in 6th? If so, I still think the transmission should be considered.

Peter

It was the same speed, except I was accelerating firmly, and it seems to have shifted correctly. If I accelerate lightly, and/or gradually, it stays in 6th, and the shudder occurs. It mostly occurs when I keep up with traffic, or when I begin to climb a hill. That's when the shudder/hesitation is very noticeable

Just googled Pennsylvania's LL.

---

The law states that the manufacturer must correct any flaw, at no cost to you, that occurs under any of the following conditions:

• Within 1 year of the vehicle ownership.
  • Before the vehicle's odometer clicks out 12,000 miles.
  • While the express warranty is still valid.

Man I wish we had laws like that in Canuckastan........instead we got CAMVAP.......which is the big 3 OEM's mediation.

Yeah, it's definitely outside the lemon law due to mileage being over. I haven't even owned the vehicle a year at that point. Everything has been covered under warranty and I've spent $0.00, but it's the having to go back yet again, for an 11th time, and it still isn't fixed. They've replaced the drive shaft, rear axles, the PTU, so I don't know how much is left to replace, other than transmission and/or engine. Maybe they'll throw in some rotten eggs, to cover up the burnt PTU fluid smell inside the car!

Yeah, it's definitely outside the lemon law due to mileage being over. I haven't even owned the vehicle a year at that point. Everything has been covered under warranty and I've spent $0.00, but it's the having to go back yet again, for an 11th time, and it still isn't fixed. They've replaced the drive shaft, rear axles, the PTU, so I don't know how much is left to replace, other than transmission and/or engine. Maybe they'll throw in some rotten eggs, to cover up the burnt PTU fluid smell inside the car!
I've had bad luck and practically live at my dealer as well. My visit is on average every 3,400km. I have 96,000km and going on $13,000 in repairs. 4 big repairs were $2000 ea, Also 2 separate body shop jobs to repair premature rust on the inside of the doors (which the paint is bubbling and coming back), and a bunch of other little **** as well. Currently needs a steering rack ($2500CDN, w/taxes). I just ordered last week the new 2018 Chevy Traverse. (leasing it in case it has issue, then I can walk away from it.) The Chev dealer pulled up my carproof report preparing for the trade in, and there a 28 entries for service...and they're not all oil changes!

Have you talked to an attorney? The last people I would take legal advice from about a lemon law issues is a car dealer or car manufacturer.

If it doesn't fall under a lemon law specifically, any attorney worth their salt should be able to bring action against the OEM and any dealer that attempted repairs under a breach of warranty and/or merchantability claim (i.e Magnusson-Moss or other). Been there, done that. Get in touch with an attorney and at least get a free consult.

I've had bad luck and practically live at my dealer as well. My visit is on average every 3,400km. I have 96,000km and going on $13,000 in repairs. 4 big repairs were $2000 ea, Also 2 separate body shop jobs to repair premature rust on the inside of the doors (which the paint is bubbling and coming back), and a bunch of other little **** as well. Currently needs a steering rack ($2500CDN, w/taxes). I just ordered last week the new 2018 Chevy Traverse. (leasing it in case it has issue, then I can walk away from it.) The Chev dealer pulled up my carproof report preparing for the trade in, and there a 28 entries for service...and they're not all oil changes!
Not sure if there are supposed to be pictures or not. All I see is

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't post any pics. Sorry
My reply was to the member I quoted in my post. Sometimes posted pictures don't turn out.:)

Back