My Explorer build. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the Springs. All I really need to do is get her registered. Just been tight on money currently. But hopefully next month will get her Registered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I just ordered Orange Plasti Dip for my Rims. Hoping this will be something different for my EX. I always see people doing Black Rims around here in Colorado Springs. I like being different. :) This is the Color I ordered. Going on my Tear Drop Rims just like the ones on the 97 Sport.
-92e2-45fa-802a-ed2dab86a9dc_1024x1024_crop_center.jpg

Sweet, I did black but I'm running 16's off of a patrol car.

Well a little off topic but went up a forest road today with my tow rig. Was nice to get out to the mountains for a day of rest with my family. Was very impressed with my truck.

FB_IMG_1496106560805.jpg
FB_IMG_1496106554664.jpg

Well I could not pass up Buying a 97 5.0 4 door explorer. I was able to get her for $250. So Build is now gonna be on my 97. 96 is gone. My Daughter has the 97 Sport and I am gonna build the 5.0 97. Looking forward to the build that is gonna happen with this one. Just got to get her running first. Was told by previous owner that her Mechanic said it is the fuel pump. When I get a chance gonna look at all the fuses and relays and the Trip switch. Then I will see if Fuel pump needs replaced. Hoping it is one of the others and not the pump. We will Hopefully see this weekend. I will let you all know.

So here are a couple pics of her.

97 On trailer 1.jpg

97 On trailer.jpg

Check the relay sometime my fuel pump doesn't prime and it won't start until I wiggle the relay (it comes and goes)

Yeah that is what I am planning to do Saturday or this evening when I get home. I am hoping it will be something simple that a mechanic over looked. But we will see and I will let you all know.

So are you going to do the 4x4 conversation on it??

Also, see if the "check engine" light comes on when the key is turned on. PCM relay must turn on for fuel pump to prime. The PCM relay can "flake out" also, causing no fuel pump.

Another real common issue is the large connector plugs devolping a bad connection inside or not fully seated.
Remove the PCM plug, look it over for bent of pushed back pins, then re install it. do the same for the square connector right over the intake on the firewall.

Also, see if the "check engine" light comes on when the key is turned on. PCM relay must turn on for fuel pump to prime. The PCM relay can "flake out" also, causing no fuel pump.

Another real common issue is the large connector plugs devolping a bad connection inside or not fully seated.
Remove the PCM plug, look it over for bent of pushed back pins, then re install it. do the same for the square connector right over the intake on the firewall.

I Checked the large connector plug and it looked just fine. The one over the intake was not able to get it disconnected. I will try another time. I Checked fuse and relays all were fine. Stuck them in my daughters 97 sport and hers fired right up. If I remember I think the check engine light did come on. Will look tomorrow.

Well I looked at all the fuses and relays NOTHING. So I will be getting a fuel pump as soon as Money is available. Thinking about going to Pull and Pay and get one there. Will be working this weekend so Not gonna happen this weekend. Hopefully next weekend. Here are a couple pics of her in my Drive way. Yes that is my daughters 97 Sport next to her. She is stock with 30" tires on her from my 92 I had a while back.

Edit *** I forgot to add that she only has 135,000 miles on her. I think this was a great find.

97 at home 1.jpg
97 at home 2.jpg

View attachment 150683

It probably is your fuel pump but I'd check for power going to it before i went through the hassle of replacing it.my relay is good but sometimes the connection is bad so i have to wiggle it until I hear the fuel pump prime while the key is turned to on. Also did you check your inertia switch?unlikely but possible.

Also I see you asked about the front axle and the bwm I just did the bench to my 96 and installed a switch to switch grounds for the solenoids to manually control the cad and transfer case I now have 2hi,2lo,4hi,4auto, and 4lo and it all works flawlessly the mod is very worth it the nice thing about the cad is if you had an auto locker you could control it like a selectable plus you always have TRUE 2wd! With the two mods together you can override the gem and always have 4wd unless your mechanically toasted. Anything like dirty sensors or contacts can make the gem lock you out of your 4wd option it happened to me on the beach at 12am and that's why I did the mods lucky it was low tide and I was able to get off the beach in 2 wheel because the track near the dunes was seriously f**** no way I would have made it without 4wd

Mine is a v8 awd gotta get different transfer first. Also yes I Checked the inertia switch. Still good. :-( so my next thing will be to drop tank and check connections and go from there.

O I got ya ... Is there a manual t case for the 4r70w? That would be the ticket.

Sweet I contemplated on manual 1354 swap myself until I did the brown wire mod I'll run the 4405 into the ground then maybe go 1354 depends on the cost of rebuild and I'm still on the fence with the 33's my 32's just look smaller Everytime I look at them but have been good to me and having a brand new 32 spare is one of the main things holding me back plus it's already slow with the 3.73 gears and 32's .....:dunno: as much as I want to regear if I was going to drop that kind of money (which I won't have any time soon)on the axles ill just go all out with a sas ..... Decisions

I know what you are talking about. I have thought about going 32's but also know how it will handle with 33's as I have had before 2 other rigs that were 33s. One with 3.73's and the other 3.55's. Both had V8. One was a 78 Blazer and the other was a 92 Bronco. So I am sure this one will handle 33's just fine. With the trails I want to do I am sure I will be good. Run the 33s into the ground and then think about upgrading more if I need to. This one that I have has 3.73's and LS so I know I can get her pointed one way and she will go where I was her to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is my 96 Explorer. Right now she is stock minus the after market radio :) My plans are to get 35" tires under her. With a SAS and SOA. As for now will get a TT done and an add a leaf or Shackle and get at a minimum 33's to do some minor trails. I had a 92 and she was great. This one here I have had for about a year but have not had her on a trail yet. Hopefully in a couple months I will get her out there and see how she is. Need to get her registered then out to the trails I go. I already have a Dana 30 for the front just need to get fundage and more parts then the undertaking will commence.

View attachment 96768

View attachment 96769[/QUOTE. It looks nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back