What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Finally had time to detail under the hood today using Adams products http://adamspolishes.com/
Tomorrow if I have time the interior and paint will be next. Then we will have rain for the next 7 months

What specific Adams products did you use to clean out your engine bay? Looks very nice and slick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One trick I was told if you get pulled over and the officer is standing to look at your driver's window then roll the passenger front window down. It allows more light inside the vehicle and apparently affects the appearance of the driver window tint and may save you.

I tend to lower all 4 windows (unless it's raining... wait it's AZ) when I have been pulled over (thankfully haven't been recently) or at CBP inspection stations to allow easier visibility and to put the officer a little more at ease.

upload_2017-9-5_18-4-1.png

This is what guys with OCD do on the Labor Day holiday weekend. Can't believe the rust on a 2017 vehicle that's not even a year old.

Whats the VRT Trim like for the plastic fender trim and below the doors?

My issue is the rain leaving drip marks on the trim essentially washing away the VRT solution.

Whats the VRT Trim like for the plastic fender trim and below the doors?

My issue is the rain leaving drip marks on the trim essentially washing away the VRT solution.

I haven't had that much problem with washing away (it never rains in Seattle :D) I also use back to black by Mothers. I truly wish I could just do away with all the lower plastic trim.... I hate Jeep for ever starting this plastic molding trend.

So did you spend all weekend painting just one wheel, or are you going to do half in AZ and the half in B.C. ?? If you had real OC you would pin strip the disks or maybe paint flames on them, but yours looks better than my stock rusted disks. On your way back to AZ or BC stop by and paint mine, I pay in Chick-fil-a sandwiches for you I even buy some potatoes!

I haven't had that much problem with washing away (it never rains in Seattle :D) I also use back to black by Mothers. I truly wish I could just do away with all the lower plastic trim.... I hate Jeep for ever starting this plastic molding trend.

So did you spend all weekend painting just one wheel, or are you going to do half in AZ and the half in B.C. ?? If you had real OC you would pin strip the disks or maybe paint flames on them, but yours looks better than my stock rusted disks. On your way back to AZ or BC stop by and paint mine, I pay in Chick-fil-a sandwiches for you I even buy some potatoes!

You pay in Chic Fil A???????......Im leaving now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 150709

This is what guys with OCD do on the Labor Day holiday weekend. Can't believe the rust on a 2017 vehicle that's not even a year old.

Could you detail that process? Mine look terrible and I'd love to do something like that, but not sure where to start :)

Could you detail that process? Mine look terrible and I'd love to do something like that, but not sure where to start :)

I took the wheel off, used a wire brush on a drill to get most of the corrosion and rust off.

Used Dremel Tool wire brush for the tight spots.

Washed everything down with an engine cleaner, hosed it all off, let it dry.

Masked off the parts that don't get paint and sprayed the rotor/caliper with heat/caliper paint.

The better way of painting would be to remove the caliper, dunk it in a metal cleaning solution, and hand paint it with actual caliper paint kit as other have done on here.

Then washed the wheel inside and out and waxed the entire wheel inside and out.

Let's see the finished product with wheel on. That should last in the center for a long time... the rotor surface, maybe not ;) LOL
Knew he had your attention at Chick-Fil-A

I took the wheel off, used a wire brush on a drill to get most of the corrosion and rust off.

Used Dremel Tool wire brush for the tight spots.

Washed everything down with an engine cleaner, hosed it all off, let it dry.

Masked off the parts that don't get paint and sprayed the rotor/caliper with heat/caliper paint.

The better way of painting would be to remove the caliper, dunk it in a metal cleaning solution, and hand paint it with actual caliper paint kit as other have done on here.

Then washed the wheel inside and out and waxed the entire wheel inside and out.

First off, what you did looks fantastic.

I'm going to do what you suggested. When I do the wife's calipers in orange I'm going to order two kits of orange and two of black. One orange and one black for each of our vehicles. Then I'll paint the hubs of both vehicles black and do her calipers orange. Going to redo mine, too. Nothing wrong with them, the paint is still going strong. It was about 10 degrees outside when I did it and about 54 in the pole barn (with heaters running) and I didn't feel like removing the calipers (nor did I have the time) so the very back side didn't get painted properly. Only way you notice is if you put it on a lift to change the oil, rotate the tires, etc. It always bugged me, but wasn't a priority until the last oil change when the guy changing my oil teased me about it. haha

Finally got around to ordering some overlays from the place @CarsAndCaffeine suggested (from Pro Stickers, www.emblemoverlays.com.) Got them in black with burnt orange lettering (without the 'ring.') Haven't received a confirmation on when they'll be here yet, though. The vinyl is supposed to last for six years, hopefully longer since mine is garaged (pole barned, haha) most of the time. I'll probably end up wrapping the chrome around the ovals prior to putting on the overlays.

Yet another step in talking Mrs. Squirrel into letting me pull them off and paint them. :)

First off, what you did looks fantastic.

I'm going to do what you suggested. When I do the wife's calipers in orange I'm going to order two kits of orange and two of black. One orange and one black for each of our vehicles. Then I'll paint the hubs of both vehicles black and do her calipers orange. Going to redo mine, too. Nothing wrong with them, the paint is still going strong. It was about 10 degrees outside when I did it and about 54 in the pole barn (with heaters running) and I didn't feel like removing the calipers (nor did I have the time) so the very back side didn't get painted properly. Only way you notice is if you put it on a lift to change the oil, rotate the tires, etc. It always bugged me, but wasn't a priority until the last oil change when the guy changing my oil teased me about it. haha

Ya that's the same as me, I never removed the calipers so a little bit of the back of caliper gets missed.

Plus if you remove them I'm sure the initial cleaning is much more thorough as well.

Nothing beats those kits the other members on here have used after they hand paint them they look very nice.

ModKing is back!

Are you keeping the wood trim exposed "as-is" or will that we wrapped as well? Can't wait to see it

I kept the wood for now. The pictures don't do this justice. I'm thinking about going satin black or color to match the rest of the dash with the wood. Thoughts?

IMG_3267.JPG

DC8D322E-1BBE-4CA4-B467-72A7546EDFD2.jpg

I kept the wood for now. The pictures don't do this justice. I'm thinking about going satin black or color to match the rest of the dash with the wood. Thoughts?

View attachment 150742

View attachment 150743

Looks great!! That gives it a much "sportier" look I think. From the pictures its hard to tell how the wood matches with the rest now but personally I like the idea of color matching the trim color that is around the tweeters and air vents. Either way the custom look is awesome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never been a fan of faux wood. Wrap it!

Back