Tim's '93 Sport | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Waaaaay off topic here. But figured you guys could still appreciate my new project vehicle. It's a 1976 Chevy K5 Blazer. Sitting on 9" of lift (6" suspension, 3" body) and 44" Interco Ground Hawg tires. It's got a Dana 60 front axle and Corporate 14 rear axle. 4.56 gears, locked front and rear with chromoly shafts. The engine is a 350 out of a 1999 Suburban that puts out 300-400hp. Mated to a SM465 trans (4 speed with a granny gear) and a twin stick NP205 transfer case. Has on board air, provisions for a winch, hydraulic hand brake, and much more. Really stoked for this new project
fullsizeoutput_42d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_42c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_42b.jpeg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Waaaaay off topic here. But figured you guys could still appreciate my new project vehicle. It's a 1976 Chevy K5 Blazer. Sitting on 9" of lift (6" suspension, 3" body) and 44" Interco Ground Hawg tires. It's got a Dana 60 front axle and Corporate 14 rear axle. 4.56 gears, locked front and rear with chromoly shafts. The engine is a 350 out of a 1999 Suburban that puts out 300-400hp. Mated to a SM465 trans (4 speed with a granny gear) and a twin stick NP205 transfer case. Has on board air, provisions for a winch, hydraulic hand brake, and much more. Really stoked for this new project
View attachment 150142 View attachment 150141 View attachment 150140
don't forget about the X!, yours is one of the reasons I even took a second look at mine. This year i bought a k10 for $800 bought some 37s on some allied beadlocks, and put in a 14 bolt and dana 60 i got for 600$(was a steal), but at the end of the day it as just too wide for a lot of trails i ride

don't forget about the X!, yours is one of the reasons I even took a second look at mine. This year i bought a k10 for $800 bought some 37s on some allied beadlocks, and put in a 14 bolt and dana 60 i got for 600$(was a steal), but at the end of the day it as just too wide for a lot of trails i ride

Oh don't worry! I won't be forgetting about the Ex! It'll always be my main project. Hell I'm gonna be buried in it lol. And I'm glad to hear that mine was one of the reasons you held on to yours. That's really cool

I've always wanted a full-size. Particularly a Jimmy or Blazer. And when this one popped up I decided to look at it. And I couldn't pass up $2200 for the whole vehicle. I can turn around and sell it for profit if I decide to

Here's a couple pics of the two of them together
fullsizeoutput_433.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_436.jpeg

Oh don't worry! I won't be forgetting about the Ex! It'll always be my main project. Hell I'm gonna be buried in it lol. And I'm glad to hear that mine was one of the reasons you held on to yours. That's really cool

I've always wanted a full-size. Particularly a Jimmy or Blazer. And when this one popped up I decided to look at it. And I couldn't pass up $2200 for the whole vehicle. I can turn around and sell it for profit if I decide to

Here's a couple pics of the two of them together
View attachment 150337 View attachment 150338
Yeah I sold my k10 and axles for a profit ended up with 4K now deciding what to do with my X, but I'm worried about the auto tranny! Might pick up a donor later this week for 250$

Just a quick picture dump form a run we did Sunday. Ran Eagle Rock, which is one of the hardest trails in the Colorado Springs area. The Ex did great! Scraped a bit here and there, but kept up with my buddy's 79 Bronco on 35's and one of his coworkers in a 85 K20 on 33's.
IMG_1268.JPG
fullsizeoutput_4b5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4af.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4c3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4c0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4b7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4b9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4bc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4c1.jpeg
IMG_1381.JPG

I love that trail. I need to get my EX up to par to get up to the trail. I like running Saran Wrap then eagle Rock. Loads of fun and a great trail. looks like your EX did awesome. I have been on that trail in a 78 Blazer on 33's. And you are only running 31's? Can't wait to get back up that trail.

It's one hell of a trail, thats for sure. But yah, i'm only on 31's. Has a couple of built jeeps pull up behind us about half way up the trail. Was gonna let them pass us, but they insisted they had to watch me because they were impressed that I had already made it that far. Needless to say there were a lot of jaws on the ground.

Hoping to take the Blazer up this weekend to run it again. That'll be a totally different experience

Yeah it will be WAY different in the Blazer. Gonna be higher off the ground and gonna be A LOT closer to the trees. Think Skinny when you go thru the trees at the Top of it LOL. I really needing to get my Explorer going. Also I bet there were a lot of Jaws on the ground. I had that happen when I went on one of the trails with my 92. I love seeing peoples reaction when they see us and we do better then the Jeeps do.

How bad was your Underside beat up up there. LOVED seeing the flex shots that you put on. I really like that trail.

Haha well I scraped every skid plate and the leaf spring hangers. And now I need new u-bolts for my leaf springs as the ends are all bent at almost 90*. Maybe it's time to get some u-bolt skid plates:dunno: Oh and I put a pretty nice scratch/gouge in my front bumper. But overall nothing that hasn't happened before when it was stock. I can just do harder trails with the lift:D

That's not to bad then. So long as it was the Skid plates and not the Important stuff LOL

Drove out to Kansas this past week to surprise my sister who is going to college at the University of Kansas. No dirt roads, all pavement. But the Explorer did amazing and gave me zero issues. Scratch that... it did blow a hole in the muffler. More on that in a second. But the whole trip to Kansas was comfortable and problem free. Couldn't be happier with how the Explorer did
fullsizeoutput_4ef.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4f1.jpeg

Now as far as the hole in the muffler. This was something that started about two weeks ago. Was hearing a rattle and what sounded like a hole in the muffler. I had crawled underneath prior my trip but couldn't find anything. The sound of the exhaust leak got worse over the course of my trip. Crawled back underneath when I got home and felt around all of the exhaust and finally found the issue. A hole had slowly rusted into the top of the muffler until the metal just kind of fell out. This also led to a very large crack in the muffler
IMG_1464.JPG

So, ordered a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler because I wanted a little more throaty sound out of the engine. Then I also welded up the exhaust so that it dumps right above the axle. So now its got the throaty sound that I want, but it doesn't drone or rattle anymore
IMG_1495.JPG

Unfortunately I don't. Forgot to grab one. When I get a chance I'll grab one. Won't be for a bit because I'm having knee surgery number six today:(

Goodness Hope it goes well for you then sir.

How does it sound though with the New Muffler on it?

Goodness Hope it goes well for you then sir.

How does it sound though with the New Muffler on it?

Thank you sir

Sounds really good! Has a nice deep throaty sound to it, without droning inside of the Explorer. I'll have to grab an exhaust clip at some point as well

That will be awesome to hear. I have got to get mine running and then TT and Add a leaf to get out on the trails. I am hoping to get some winter trails in this year.

Back