My Explorer build. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did a little on my EX last night. I out the Drivers side up on Ramps. Yeah I know a lot of work LOL. With a Dog barking in the neighborhood some where and was also told that Dinner was ready had to get inside and get away from the noise. Was planning to get Running boards off and See about dropping my Gas tank to see what I can do about getting her running. Will see about getting more done tonight. Will see when I get home. Is there anyone around my area that has some head light assemblies for Passenger side. for a 2nd gen? :) I live in Colorado Springs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I did some work on my ex today. Got the gas tank skid plate off and took off drivers side running board. I also pushed the sent out a little on rear door. Also took off front bumper.
20170912_192359.jpg

Hopefully this turns into greatness!

:salute:

Following this thread...Please keep posting, especially with pictures!

I have a 97 Sport and will be doing and SAS swap in the future. Would you know if there is a thread created to show what type of SA's to look for that fit well under these rigs? YJ, XJ, ZJ....Ford, Chevy :) Thanks!

Dana 30 seems to be popular but in my opinion it's a downgrade in strength I would do a truss kit and chromoly axle shafts if I went that route the better thing would be a Dana 44 out of an early bronco I even heard some people use the d44 out of a Wagoner but those axles may require cutting not sure you'd have to look into it. Also I'm not sure why everybody goes coil spring ideal, yes but seems to make the build more complicated and expensive a leaf spring setup seems like it would be much cheaper and easier for the second generation explorers ......lol or you could go full width Dana 60 and Ford 9" but some states might not allow that .

I'd love to have a sas rig but it's just too much $ if your going to do it I'd do it right with lockers,gears, etc the bill starts to add but up quick and I don't really NEED it anyway with the trails around me that are mostly stocker and slightly modified friendly with the exception of one or two. now if I lived in Colorado or Utah or southern California, where all the big trails like Rubicon, moab,truck Haven etc are then I'd be more willing to do the swap. Plus I kinda like to show the die hard solid axle fan boys that ifs can do it too.lol

Thanks, I'm watching that thread, that's a nice build.

I'm always at the junk yard and looking for parts. I see Cherokee's all the time, but last week I spotted a Grand Cherokee (ZJ) and wasn't sure if the front axle under it would make for a good swap...If I'm not mistaken, the setup is a bit stronger (better knuckles and ABS) than the Cherokee's (XJ) from the factory.

Dana 30 seems to be popular but in my opinion it's a downgrade in strength I would do a truss kit and chromoly axle shafts if I went that route the better thing would be a Dana 44 out of an early bronco I even heard some people use the d44 out of a Wagoner but those axles may require cutting not sure you'd have to look into it. Also I'm not sure why everybody goes coil spring ideal, yes but seems to make the build more complicated and expensive a leaf spring setup seems like it would be much cheaper and easier for the second generation explorers ......lol or you could go full width Dana 60 and Ford 9" but some states might not allow that .

I wish I had the money for a Dana 44/60 swap. I'm with you 'Red, I would not use it for major rock climbing - off road'ing in a medium to mild way. I'm in NW Arkansas. It has a lot of great trails and dirt roads.

I want to do the SAS Mod, just to do it and get more height in the vehicle. :) Secondly to take off road when I have the time. As for the D30, I would certainly truss the axle for strength. I have an Jeep TJ that's lifted and off road ready...this Ex will be my Daily Driver, Toy #2 :)

I'm currently parts 'collecting' right now and would prefer to pull what I need the first time. On my budget, I just don't want to pull/purchase something that I cant use. :)

As for my ex it is gonna be my Trail rig. I am planning to keep it as low as possible with at a minimum 33" tires. Might require some trimming but gonna do as little as possible. The Build of @Starkman is my inspiration :) He has 33s and a TT and a AAL with minimal trimming. I am wanting to do basically the same and wanting to climb rocks. :) Just a matter of knowing what your rig is capable of doing and knowing your line to travel. I want to be able to show the Heeps what a real rig does LOL

So your not doing a sas?

Not right now. Still debating it. I know have a V8 and not sure if the Dana 30 I have will be strong enough for it. Right now just thinking of Doing TT and AAL and get 33s under her and then see about stock piling for an SAS. It all depends on what I get out of the TT and AAL and what I am able to do after all that. There are a couple trails out here that I really like and if I am able to do them with what I am planning then I might not do the SAS. All depends on how well she does.

I think she'll do well especially on 33`s a lot has to do with the driver. That's why I decided that a sas for me was more of a pipe dream, adding extra skid plates and sliders to make up for lack of clearance and a winch to help you when you need it is much more down to earth and maybe a locker and gears in the future but who knows. That set up will handle most trails you get into sas,lockers,gears , 35's and up etc... Is more for extreme crawling heck at that point you might as well pull the doors off and build a roll cage lol.

I totally agree and with my rig already with 3.73 and LS in the rear I bet I can be almost unstoppable. :) So now just to get her running and get transfer case replaced with a 4x4 one I will be golden.

You have 3.73 with a V8?

That is what the Door code is saying. The Door code says D4 Looked it up here and it is an LS 3.73. I had 3.73's on my 78 Blazer and she ran great. So I am thinking 3.73's with this one will be AWESOME.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice I don't know much about the v8's but from my understanding most of them came 3.55 I wished I would have lucked out like that and got one with 4.10's with my v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back