Evolution of my 2016 XPlatinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Evolution of my 2016 XPlatinum

Screwed up the editing so I reposted on the next thread.

7434964_10212421478957012_151992871244637154_o-jpg.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FEB 2016: Purchased
IMG_8812.JPG

OCT - NOV 2016: Vinyl wrapped chrome detail, door handles, roof rack, powder coat OEM wheels and had the head lights and tail lights smoked.
fullsizeoutput_9d.jpeg

FEB 2017: K&N CAI, H&R lowering spring, G2 brake caliper paint, Velgen MB6 and Parada SpecX 295/45R20 114V RF tires installed.
fullsizeoutput_66.jpeg

MAR 2017: Front windows tinted to match rear windows.
IMG_5965.JPG

MAR 2017: Red trim vinyl wrap done.
17434964_10212421478957012_151992871244637154_o.jpg

Coming summer of 2017: Livernois Tune & down pipe kit.

Love the way it looks! Red and black front and rear ovals would look killer!

Really dig the transformation! Looks great and I love the wheels. :D

Jonnoriega, nice combo, Bad ASS!. the stance is what im looking for. I, my wife purchased a 2017 Plat. and I want to lower and level it off. the H & R 2/3" drop is what im doing. how is the install? thanks.

Jonnoriega, nice combo, Bad ASS!. the stance is what im looking for. I, my wife purchased a 2017 Plat. and I want to lower and level it off. the H & R 2/3" drop is what im doing. how is the install? thanks.

My garage buddies did the install. When it comes to cars, my expertise goes as far as filling it up with gas and windshield washer fluid. LOL - But I witnessed the install and it took them about an hour and a half to install the springs. Also, they used 2 camber bolts for the rear. The camber bolts came with the kit from H&R. I appreciate the compliments. @ken60631 was the original inspiration for my ride.

The only thing about the size of the wheels though, I am limited to the brand of tires I can get. I have to buy 295 45/R20's. There's about a $185 option or $535 option for all season tires. The $185 option are the Parada SpecX Tires.

Thanks jonnoriega, you know what my wife is getting for Xmas, LOL. she loves Ford SUV's, im a Chevy guy, 67 Chevelle. ill be going with 22's, Cali ride. will send pics when done. thanks again.

Good looking ride! I just purchased a '16 Platinum a couple of weeks ago, and I was considering a few of the mods that you did to yours. Primarily tinting of the head/tail lights Did you notice a diminished light output after tinting the headlights? How is the vinyl wrap holding up? Did you get that tune installed? If so, how's it doing? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm new to this stuff. Thanks.

Good looking ride! I just purchased a '16 Platinum a couple of weeks ago, and I was considering a few of the mods that you did to yours. Primarily tinting of the head/tail lights Did you notice a diminished light output after tinting the headlights? How is the vinyl wrap holding up? Did you get that tune installed? If so, how's it doing? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm new to this stuff. Thanks.

Thanks, man and congrats on the '16 Platinum. I hope the above videos answer your questions about the tune and also i added another video of the Borla Exhaust I added. If you look at my channel, I got some other videos about the ride.

As for the headlights, when I firt darkened them, they looked so bad-ass but I couldn't see **** at night so I had them lightened. It was done by Top Coverage in Elgin, IL and they professionally smoked them.

The vinyl is holding up excellent but I'm replacing the hood and trunk wraps to look llke the mustang below. If I don't like it, I can always remove it. That will be done this upcoming Tuesday. I will pics after, of course.

IMG_1275.JPG

Vinyl wrap is awesome and if you find a good place, they will usually guarantee their work. Post photos of our ride, my friend!

I. Like. Your. Style. That is one sick Ex. I especially like the fact you did it right and didn't cut corners. I can hear those turbos spooling nicely in the second video. I am coming from a 4x4 diesel truck into an Explorer, so I kind of have a thing for forced induction. I got tired of 150 dollar oil changes and being burglarized by diesel mechanics. I've had my Platinum for 3 week, all I've done is tint the windows so far. 20% on front with 5% on top of factory tint everywhere else. I live in the Deep South, so I opted for ceramic tint. It is worth the extra cash down here.... It gets really hot. The guy who tinted the windows has some boo boos to fix, though. He doesn't know it yet, but he's going to make it right by putting 10% ceramic tint on the front two windows. I like my tint dark. As long as I don't run around doing dumb s&@t, I don't foresee a problem with the law enforcement crowd.
Now, if I can just figure out how to post pictures....

I. Like. Your. Style. That is one sick Ex. I especially like the fact you did it right and didn't cut corners. I can hear those turbos spooling nicely in the second video. I am coming from a 4x4 diesel truck into an Explorer, so I kind of have a thing for forced induction. I got tired of 150 dollar oil changes and being burglarized by diesel mechanics. I've had my Platinum for 3 week, all I've done is tint the windows so far. 20% on front with 5% on top of factory tint everywhere else. I live in the Deep South, so I opted for ceramic tint. It is worth the extra cash down here.... It gets really hot. The guy who tinted the windows has some boo boos to fix, though. He doesn't know it yet, but he's going to make it right by putting 10% ceramic tint on the front two windows. I like my tint dark. As long as I don't run around doing dumb s&@t, I don't foresee a problem with the law enforcement crowd.
Now, if I can just figure out how to post pictures....

Should be pretty easy especially if you're an elite. I'd love to see your ride, bro and thanks for the kind words. It's a lot of fun to drive!

I'm not an elite member, yet. Mine's not much to look at right now, and might not ever be. Shadow Black paint with windows to match. Stock everything else currently. My vision is to keep the exterior Plain Jane. I like the idea of a stealth, sleeper, soccer-mom missile, minus the soccer mom, of course.
I have an addiction to auxilliary lighting thanks to my 4x4 background. Looking at Rigid Industries midnight edition spots behind the grill. I have to sell all the lights (4x R2-46 driving/hyperspot combos, 1pair D2's in driving pattern and 1pair SR-Q's in diffused for reverse/work lights, all Rigids) I had on my Super Duty to get them, though. Unless I decide to put a GoRhino push bar on it. I can just bolt my R2-46's on that (at least 2 of them), but I am on the fence about that, though. Worried about blocking the adaptive cruise, front camera, and parking sensors. I like those features. Plus, I lose the stealth profile I have in mind. I'm going to take this build slow. Btw, I researched that Borla Exhaust... nice. What order do you recommend installing the performance parts; i.e. intake, exhaust, 3bar MAP, thermostat, plugs, tune... etc.? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also sub'd to your Youtube channel.

I'm not an elite member, yet. Mine's not much to look at right now, and might not ever be. Shadow Black paint with windows to match. Stock everything else currently. My vision is to keep the exterior Plain Jane. I like the idea of a stealth, sleeper, soccer-mom missile, minus the soccer mom, of course.
I have an addiction to auxilliary lighting thanks to my 4x4 background. Looking at Rigid Industries midnight edition spots behind the grill. I have to sell all the lights (4x R2-46 driving/hyperspot combos, 1pair D2's in driving pattern and 1pair SR-Q's in diffused for reverse/work lights, all Rigids) I had on my Super Duty to get them, though. Unless I decide to put a GoRhino push bar on it. I can just bolt my R2-46's on that (at least 2 of them), but I am on the fence about that, though. Worried about blocking the adaptive cruise, front camera, and parking sensors. I like those features. Plus, I lose the stealth profile I have in mind. I'm going to take this build slow. Btw, I researched that Borla Exhaust... nice. What order do you recommend installing the performance parts; i.e. intake, exhaust, 3bar MAP, thermostat, plugs, tune... etc.? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also sub'd to your Youtube channel.

If you're looking for true performance, get the tune. That's where i'd recommend you start. If you want a little punch and more performace, do a downpipe. Our stock exhausts are fine. I just wanted a little more attitude. Also, our intakes are fine as well. I got the Livernois Performance LVL 2 package and it came with the CAI, Downpipe, Thermostat, 3-Bar Map Sensor and Tune.

FEB 2016: Purchased
View attachment 96528

OCT - NOV 2016: Vinyl wrapped chrome detail,audacity temp mail origin door handles, roof rack, powder coat OEM wheels and had the head lights and tail lights smoked.
View attachment 96529

FEB 2017: K&N CAI, H&R lowering spring, G2 brake caliper paint, Velgen MB6 and Parada SpecX 295/45R20 114V RF tires installed.
View attachment 96530

MAR 2017: Front windows tinted to match rear windows.
View attachment 96532

MAR 2017: Red trim vinyl wrap done.
View attachment 96533

Coming summer of 2017: Livernois Tune & down pipe kit.
waw nice :!!!

Thanks, man and congrats on the '16 Platinum. I hope the above videos answer your questions about the tune and also i added another video of the Borla Exhaust I added. If you look at my channel, I got some other videos about the ride.

As for the headlights, when I firt darkened them, they looked so bad-ass but I couldn't see **** at night so I had them lightened. It was done by Top Coverage in Elgin, IL and they professionally smoked them.

The vinyl is holding up excellent but I'm replacing the hood and trunk wraps to look llke the mustang below. If I don't like it, I can always remove it. That will be done this upcoming Tuesday. I will pics after, of course.

View attachment 156949

Vinyl wrap is awesome and if you find a good place, they will usually guarantee their work. Post photos of our ride, my friend!

Did you ever get the Vinyl done like you wanted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back