My Explorer build. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a new parts build or do most people get used leaves and still come out stronger.
If that's the case sounds cheaper than buying new explorer leafs. I'd be all for it does it give you any lift? I've read other guys saying the new explorer leaves don't last very long before sagging starts to set in.

Personally I'd use old used F150 leaves, they have already settled all they are going to and they are near free if you have a good yard to raid.

You need a good set of main ex leafs with full arch if your going to do the f150 Franken packs. Using all the lower leafs from the f150, you get 2" of lift. You can add leafs for more, and you get about 1/2" for each leaf. I built a set for less then $100.

This is better than shackles for pinion angles, but a shim might still be needed. Have to measure the angle after install to find out. With the 4406 swap, its more prevalent as the tail shaft is longer, and even more so in a sport.

New sets of leafs can be custom made at a spring shop. They will make them for whatever lift you want. 2" packs can be had for $300-$350. Depends on your shop tho.

I've heard the 150 leaf adds about 1.5 to 2 inches

They can, you can add less and be the same'ish or add more and go higher. Don't over think the simple leaf spring setup.

I like to add 3 to 4 extra Bronco leaves to my 79 for a few reasons. One reason is height, then I don't need as much lift block. Another reason is ride, I like a more solid ride.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ngs-for-lift-using-f-150-leaf-springs.101035/

Well that's a heap of knowledge!

Pro comp aal aren't exactly super cheap are they ? I haven't looked at them lately then about 300 $ or so for new explorer packs hmm...I would like to completely replace mine as they're starting to separate as explained in that thread and the bushings are shot. I wander what my best option would be as I try to keep cost down as much as I can unless an added expenses is worth the lesser amount of hassle.

And that's all I'm saying not trying to hi Jack this thread..... (I've had a bit of an problem with getting off topic lately ) please pm me if you have a solution as it'll probably be next on my list after a few final mods I'm doing before take a Weekend Wheeling trip coming up soon

WOW did not expect this much chatter about a lift lol. It's all good I've been really enjoying this. Got tons of info from you all about everything. By the way my ex already has a separate trans cooler. Is that stock? This ex was bought here in Colorado springs. The family I bought it from her dad bought it new. Interior is in super condition. Exterior not so much but better then my 96 exterior. With only 135,000 miles on her when ingot her looking forward to getting MANY MANY more miles on her.

So worms where do you plan on taking your ex once you've completed some mods?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ngs-for-lift-using-f-150-leaf-springs.101035/

Pro comp aal aren't exactly super cheap are they ? I haven't looked at them lately then about 300 $ or so for new explorer packs hmm...I would like to completely replace mine as they're starting to separate as explained in that thread and the bushings are shot. I wander what my best option would be as I try to keep cost down as much as I can unless an added expenses is worth the lesser amount of hassle.

And that's all I'm saying not trying to hi Jack this thread..... (I've had a bit of an problem with getting off topic lately ) please pm me if you have a solution as it'll probably be next on my list after a few final mods I'm doing before take a Weekend Wheeling trip coming up soon

I'd call these cheap.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI2fbR1tWj1gIVBgeGCh3LZwEUEAQYAyABEgJUY_D_BwE

I'd call these cheap.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI2fbR1tWj1gIVBgeGCh3LZwEUEAQYAyABEgJUY_D_BwE

The trails of course lol. There is a trail that I can take a stock explorer on but also has a lot of places to test flex and ability. It's called China Wall in teluride Colorado.

The stock coolers iv seen also seem to have an inline filter as well I'd look into replacing that if it does and the stock stacked plate cooler should be good enough.

Your in Colorado? Must be nice teraflex has a video on ouray made me want to go there so bad iv been there once I have buddies move out there for awhile there seems to be 4wd only passes everywhere there is only a handful of trails in VA and since I'm on the coast it's at least a 4 hour drive to get to any of them at least I got a 4wd beaches close by but mountain trails is totally different experience than sand and mud.

Yes sir I am in Colorado and love it. The trails are plentiful hopefully some day will hit a lot of them.

Thanks that is a lot cheaper than I thought. I'll probably go that route.For some reason I was thinking they were over $100

Some are that much but the short ones are cheap but they ride stiffer then the long ones.

So in your case a solid axle is sounding a little sweeter.

Well I got the tank out and fuel assembly out and yes fuel pump is bad. :-( will replace and put back in to get her running again.
20170917_165728.jpg

I also got front bumper removed. Will build a custom one with the help of my dad. Hopefully.
20170917_165740.jpg

With my daughter's 97 sport put a different front drive line in and come to fine out transfer is bad. Gonna look for a manual 1354 for hers.
20170917_165748.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back