Resonator Removal on Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resonator Removal on Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay so if resonators produce back pressure to prevent loss of power than why do race cars have straight pipes?

Local custom muffler shop replaced my resonator with a 2.5" straight pipes and X pipe. I have no drone what so ever. It actually sounds the same as stock. They also cut of my 3' tips and replaced them 4" stainless tips that have a factory look. I was hoping for a deeper throatier sounds and I didn't achieve it. I believe i will have to replace the mufflers to get a louder sound but I am second guessing myself if that is really what i want. It's a family SUV with a six cylinder and turbos. This motor will never produce the sound of an Nissan GTR! Hopefully my mod allowed the engine to breath a little better and if I decide to continue with the exhaust modifications I will install the catted down pipes.
If you have the money I would just go with LMS's full exhaust and downpipes for the best results in power and sound.

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

DSC_6873.JPG

Replacing a resonator may not be a good thing according to the video below and also Livernois. Less back pressure = less HP.

Peter

Maybe that is why they incorporated an X-Pipe into the design to even out the gas pulses and assist with back pressure? It's not their first barbeque so I trust them. They work on all models and makes and put in the research. Like I said it sounds fine and I very pleased with the performance of this truck. Sometimes I honestly can't believe how fast it is. It is deceptively quick and I suprise a lot of people and still managed to retain the factory look.

Maybe that is why they incorporated an X-Pipe into the design to even out the gas pulses and assist with back pressure? It's not their first barbeque so I trust them. They work on all models and makes and put in the research. Like I said it sounds fine and I very pleased with the performance of this truck. Sometimes I honestly can't believe how fast it is. It is deceptively quick and I suprise a lot of people and still managed to retain the factory look.
Perhaps the tune makes up for any appreciable power loss that you would have noticed. As long as it's running great, that's the important part.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...arket-exhaust-discussion.378262/#post-3557940

Peter

Removed my post regarding our 4 stroke racing engines because it only relates to Naturally aspirated engines.

You can read about turbo exhausts here. http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info/turbo_exhaust_theory/turbo_exhaust_theory.html

Quotes from Article

"FWIW I'm an turbocharger development engineer for Garrett Engine Boosting Systems."

"less pressure downstream of the turbine is goodness. This approach minimizes the time-to-boost (maximizes boost response) and will improve engine VE throughout the rev range. "

" There is no such thing as cylinder scavenging downstream of the turbine, and hence, no reason to desire high exhaust velocity here. You will only introduce unwanted backpressure."

I was told the other day by a tech at livernois. If you remove the resonator you are going to rob the sport of power. Can anyone else confirm? I did ask if there exhaust came with resonators he said yes.
If you look at the Livernois website and look at their cat-back for the Ford Explorer it doesn't look like it has a resonator. I'm starting to wonder if it is a market strategy to get people to buy their products.

Local custom muffler shop replaced my resonator with a 2.5" straight pipes and X pipe. I have no drone what so ever. It actually sounds the same as stock. They also cut of my 3' tips and replaced them 4" stainless tips that have a factory look. I was hoping for a deeper throatier sounds and I didn't achieve it. I believe i will have to replace the mufflers to get a louder sound but I am second guessing myself if that is really what i want. It's a family SUV with a six cylinder and turbos. This motor will never produce the sound of an Nissan GTR! Hopefully my mod allowed the engine to breath a little better and if I decide to continue with the exhaust modifications I will install the catted down pipes.
If you have the money I would just go with LMS's full exhaust and downpipes for the best results in power and sound.

View attachment 91849

View attachment 91850

View attachment 91851

View attachment 91849

View attachment 91850

View attachment 91851

I'm thinking of doing a similar mod but instead of an x-pipe I want to install a custom made h-pipe. Did your muffler guy give you any advice on installing an h-pipe. I've read that h-pipe give a car a more deeper muscle car sound.

Resonator delete

I did this on 2015 sport. Removed resonator and dual Flowmaster Super 44's. The drone between 65 - 80 is vicious. Startup and Around town and accelerating sounds sweet but highway cruising takes some getting used to. Doesn't bother me a bit but I haven't had a single passenger that didn't think it was annoying. Drives my wife crazy.

Send me your number and I'll send you a sound clip.
Did you install an x-pipe or h-pipe? Would that help with the drone?

Resonator delete

I did this on 2015 sport. Removed resonator and dual Flowmaster Super 44's. The drone between 65 - 80 is vicious. Startup and Around town and accelerating sounds sweet but highway cruising takes some getting used to. Doesn't bother me a bit but I haven't had a single passenger that didn't think it was annoying. Drives my wife crazy.

Send me your number and I'll send you a sound clip.
Did you replace your resonator with an x-pipe or just straight pipes?

I'd like to see where this is going as well? Any word on X or H pipes?

Did you install an x-pipe or h-pipe? Would that help with the drone?
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here since Oct. 27, 2016.

Peter

Ok, so I finally removed the secondary cat (basically hollow piece of pipe with a screen inside) and resonator and replaced with an x-pipe. There's definitely a subtly sound increase. There's no drone with the x-pipe installed and the start up sounds a lot nicer than before, Obviously, if you are looking for a significant increase in sound I recommend changing the mufflers which will be my second project. The overall total cost for this project was less than $100. I'm pretty satisfied with my experiment and I would recommend this if you are looking for a little bump in your exhaust sound. Definitely worth more than spending $1000 or more on a full cat-back exhaust. The x-pipe was bought on Amazon and the 2.25" pipe and clamps from JEGS. The only reason I used clamps is to easily put back the stock piece of pipe. Let me know if you questions. Sorry I didn't load pics, I didn't pay for that feature.

Ok, so I finally removed the secondary cat (basically hollow piece of pipe with a screen inside) and resonator and replaced with an x-pipe. There's definitely a subtly sound increase. There's no drone with the x-pipe installed and the start up sounds a lot nicer than before, Obviously, if you are looking for a significant increase in sound I recommend changing the mufflers which will be my second project. The overall total cost for this project was less than $100. I'm pretty satisfied with my experiment and I would recommend this if you are looking for a little bump in your exhaust sound. Definitely worth more than spending $1000 or more on a full cat-back exhaust. The x-pipe was bought on Amazon and the 2.25" pipe and clamps from JEGS. The only reason I used clamps is to easily put back the stock piece of pipe. Let me know if you questions. Sorry I didn't load pics, I didn't pay for that feature.

Can we get an Amazon part number??

https://www.summitracing.com/int/se...5+4294900505+4294895362+4294951518+4294947481

almost any pipe with 4" center to center inlet/outlet will work. The cat also cant be removed for on street use do to emissions.

if your Exploder has under 400hp its not going to improve power by anything noticeable since the factory cat is fairly large to allow flow, over this power level who knows, never tested it.
If you are one of those drivers that leaves the windows rolled down because you didn't realize it was open since it wasn't any louder, the removal of the 3rd cat isn't going to make a difference in sound especially if that's the only part of the exhaust that was modified. I would guess maybe 15%?? louder with a little more European car sound since its an x-pipe and a not an H. I would think an H-pipe might sound a little more raspy, its not my thing with a V6 but whatever.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/department/exhaust/section/h-pipes-x-pipes-merge-pipes/part-type/exhaust-crossover-pipes/universal/yes?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=x pipe&N=4294948820+4294918634+4294918645+4294900505+4294895362+4294951518+4294947481

almost any pipe with 4" center to center inlet/outlet will work. The cat also cant be removed for on street use do to emissions.

if your Exploder has under 400hp its not going to improve power by anything noticeable since the factory cat is fairly large to allow flow, over this power level who knows, never tested it.
If you are one of those drivers that leaves the windows rolled down because you didn't realize it was open since it wasn't any louder, the removal of the 3rd cat isn't going to make a difference in sound especially if that's the only part of the exhaust that was modified. I would guess maybe 15%?? louder with a little more European car sound since its an x-pipe and a not an H. I would think an H-pipe might sound a little more raspy, its not my thing with a V6 but whatever.
Feel free to do want you want. I'm happy with the results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back