Stupid Deer - Trying to figure out the damage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid Deer - Trying to figure out the damage

@naiku ,

All this for a Deer Strike.

I hope you at least got the back strap off of the deer...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@naiku ,

All this for a Deer Strike.

I hope you at least got the back strap off of the deer...

in my experience the deer usually gets up laughs and walks away flipping you the proverbial bird ..... I hit a deer in a 1997 ranger totally shattering the rad support and damn deer did a 360 into a ditch stood up and yelled fvck you ass hole, all this after I panic braked down below 25mph

Yeah, they're pretty tough. Deer aren't so stupid, highways cross their terrain so you got to watch out when they get the urge to cross.

in my experience the deer usually gets up laughs and walks away flipping you the proverbial bird ..... I hit a deer in a 1997 ranger totally shattering the rad support and damn deer did a 360 into a ditch stood up and yelled fvck you ass hole, all this after I panic braked down below 25mph

Yep, this one just headed off. I had one bounce it's head off the hood of my car (that dent is next to get repaired) and it just spun around, looked at me and wandered off.

Dropped the Explorer off yesterday, the rental company put me in a 2017 Nissan Armada.... it's bloody huge. Definitely prefer the Explorer, even if it is almost 10 years older, the Armada while nice, is just way too big for my liking. Navigating through folders on a USB flash drive seems to be a headache as well, I can't actually find a way to browse a library yet. I do like the seats though, cloth seats, nice and comfy. Leather is all well and good, but makes me sweat on a hot day, so the cloth is a nice change. I was a little concerned that it is over the daily limit with insurance, but apparently in VA there is no daily limit, just a total rental limit, so $600 rental coverage. The Nissan is $52 a day, so should be fine as I am expecting to have the Explorer back either late this week or early next.

Naiku -

Interesting comments re: Armada. I was always fan of full size trucks and suv's, and always wanted to upgrade from Explorer to either Tahoe or Expedition. And every time I could not find a reason to do so beside just wanting it, no practical reasons whatsoever. The explorer is just a perfect size and does everything I need it to do, and I can park it easily. I am sure Armada was super comfy and the seating position was high with a good view, but it is big, I saw them. It becomes a hassle after a while to deal with that size.

The deer almost never get the last laugh, they can just run on pure adrenaline. Any deer you hit at any moderate speed is most likely dead 300 yards away.

Interesting comments re: Armada. I was always fan of full size trucks and suv's, and always wanted to upgrade from Explorer to either Tahoe or Expedition. And every time I could not find a reason to do so beside just wanting it, no practical reasons whatsoever. The explorer is just a perfect size and does everything I need it to do, and I can park it easily. I am sure Armada was super comfy and the seating position was high with a good view, but it is big, I saw them. It becomes a hassle after a while to deal with that size.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, the Armada is nice enough, but it just feels enormous. I looked it up and it is about 6" wider, 3" taller and 16" longer than the Explorer. Not a huge amount, but certainly noticeable, especially on simple things like parking it. I have not even bothered trying to fit it in the garage, pretty certain it will fit, but not worth the headache!!

Back