Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
So I was fixing this...

33adilf.jpg

and I noticed this...

eb7z1l.jpg

how would I even go about fixing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you see if the bolt is broken off in the block?

It happens, Mine snapped the rear drivers. I took it out when I had the engine out to do the timing chains. Luckily it was easy to get out as the bolts dont bottom out in the head and they weren't rusted in. I just pulled off the manifold and cut a slit into it with a grinder and took it out with a screw driver. Not like the V8.

So I was fixing this...

33adilf.jpg

and I noticed this...

eb7z1l.jpg

how would I even go about fixing this?

If there is no exhaust leak, forget about it until the other one breaks. Likely that stud did not break by itself, but rather by ineptness on the part of a previous worker, who simply let it slip through. Just my opinion/. imp

one thing to remember is that ford loves to use TTY bolts/studs. Meaning; one time use. Can't reuse TTY hardware.

one thing to remember is that ford loves to use TTY bolts/studs. Meaning; one time use. Can't reuse TTY hardware.
Doubtful that "torque to yield" would be used on a stud/nut application like this, don't you think? Such use is applicable to critically loaded parts, like cylinder heads. Mainly, the purpose of TTY is to stretch the fastener into the range in which it's prevailing load will not change much with clamped part dimensional change, such as the thickness change in head gaskets when cylinders fire.

Phew! imp

Workshop manual says replace only gaskets and nuts. For me, TTY fastener that comes to mind are caliper bracket bolts.

Never knew the caliper bracket bolts were torque to yield. I've had them off several times on each of my Explorer based vehicles.

Exhaust manifolds are not tty. If you look up torque specs for anything and it talks about degrees then it's tty.

Most of the time the stud snaps from rust or warping manifold. Like imp said, if you don't hear the leak forget about it. You can come back to it when the timing chains are due.

Never knew the caliper bracket bolts were torque to yield. I've had them off several times on each of my Explorer based vehicles.

I have too, never replaced them, never torqued them other than "Armstrong torque". I like current tech, but often fall back on the simple **** I learned in the '50s. imp

Exhaust manifolds are not tty. If you look up torque specs for anything and it talks about degrees then it's tty.

Most of the time the stud snaps from rust or warping manifold. Like imp said, if you don't hear the leak forget about it. You can come back to it when the timing chains are due.

And I dread when that time comes. 160K now, smooth & quiet as a churchmouse, but how much longer? imp

Back