What to salvage from a parts car? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to salvage from a parts car?

2002Xploder

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Hi there,

I just picked up a 2002 XLT 4x4 4L with high mileage and a blown head gasket to harvest body parts from.

I know there must be a number of interior and exterior parts that are prone to breaking and would cost a small fortune to replace. I'd like to know what parts I should hang on to and what parts are worth their weight in gold.

I don't particularly want to have a parts car sitting on my property, but I want to take the valuable pieces out before sending it to the scrap yard. The parts car is in pretty good shape, power everything and leather seats.. the only thing removed from it before I got it are the rear seats, middle row remains.

My 2003 went into a snow bank and needs the following replaced:

Hood
1 Headlight
Front fender
Driver door
Tailgate door
Bumper

Any info helps!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What color is the interior? And does it have the cargo cover in back still? IF it is the dark graphite which is a greyish looking color I would be interested in buying it.

I don't believe the cargo cover is in there but I'll take a look.... I didn't really post this to sell items on here, but rather hoard items for myself in case I break parts in my car...

Yeah I know and completely understand. I have been trying to find one of those without buying one from Ford is all.

Either scrap it (remember hood is aluminum, so scrap that separately) or try and sell used parts on eBay.

Not much beyond body parts that id keep. Unless there is obviously new stuff on it.

I am needing to replace a rear seat lever (20-25$ replacement) and the cargo hatch (80 -100$ replacement). If you have the space and the color is same, I'd keep all levers as once they crack at the spline they will never work again.

I've harvested from a '02 4-door with substantially less miles than my daily driver (116k miles vs. 179k miles):
  • engine (4.0L SOHC)
  • torque convertert
  • transmission solenoid pack
  • (decided not to pull the trans valve body while I was at it, but decided not to);
  • a/c condensor (saved my bacon this summer when there was leak in my old one, but a pain to get to)
  • a/c compressor
  • interior rear view mirror
  • headlights
  • 2" tow bar (vs. 1.5" on my ride)
  • PCM with key (in case mine goes bad);
  • Idle Air Control
  • MAS
  • Throttle body
  • transmission cooler (just in case; not installed on dd)
  • alternator (not original, but quality reman)
  • coil packs
  • EGR tubes/valve (the metal ones from exhaust manifold, tough to get off)
  • two engine wiring harnesses (due to mouse damage to my originals)
  • six fuel injectors
  • radio/cd player (my cd player did not work)
  • bulbs from high mount brake light
  • driver and passenger seat belts

If one truck had not been 2x drive vs. 4x drive on the parts car, I'd have probably pulled the 116k trans. But the different yolk discouraged me (and too much work); I also though long and hard about pulling the front Y pipe and cats, but did not want to mess with removing the transmission cross piece to do so. As it is, I spent something like $700 on replacing the three cats, so I probably should have pulled the Y pipe from the parts car after all.

I am needing to replace a rear seat lever (20-25$ replacement) and the cargo hatch (80 -100$ replacement). If you have the space and the color is same, I'd keep all levers as once they crack at the spline they will never work again.

My parts car had the extra rear seats ... would the cargo hatch be the same?

I've harvested from a '02 4-door with substantially less miles than my daily driver (116k miles vs. 179k miles):
  • engine (4.0L SOHC)
  • torque convertert
  • transmission solenoid pack
  • (decided not to pull the trans valve body while I was at it, but decided not to);
  • a/c condensor (saved my bacon this summer when there was leak in my old one, but a pain to get to)
  • a/c compressor
  • interior rear view mirror
  • headlights
  • 2" tow bar (vs. 1.5" on my ride)
  • PCM with key (in case mine goes bad);
  • Idle Air Control
  • MAS
  • Throttle body
  • transmission cooler (just in case; not installed on dd)
  • alternator (not original, but quality reman)
  • coil packs
  • EGR tubes/valve (the metal ones from exhaust manifold, tough to get off)
  • two engine wiring harnesses (due to mouse damage to my originals)
  • six fuel injectors
  • radio/cd player (my cd player did not work)
  • bulbs from high mount brake light
  • driver and passenger seat belts

If one truck had not been 2x drive vs. 4x drive on the parts car, I'd have probably pulled the 116k trans. But the different yolk discouraged me (and too much work); I also though long and hard about pulling the front Y pipe and cats, but did not want to mess with removing the transmission cross piece to do so. As it is, I spent something like $700 on replacing the three cats, so I probably should have pulled the Y pipe from the parts car after all.

Thanks this gives me an idea of what's worth keeping...

At this point I have the space to keep it around.

I'd part it on Craigslist before going to EBay, except maybe some of the higher dollar parts. Local pickup vs shipping and sellers fees. Plus you can offer up the car and let people email you about smaller things you might not think to pull, or things that would be cost prohibitive to ship.

I'd part it on Craigslist before going to EBay, except maybe some of the higher dollar parts. Local pickup vs shipping and sellers fees. Plus you can offer up the car and let people email you about smaller things you might not think to pull, or things that would be cost prohibitive to ship.

That's what I'm doing .. eBay for small things easy to ship... classifieds to offer the whole / big parts

Back