Rearview Camera Problems | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Those who have been getting the B115E DTC Code. I went to the dealer tech and asked if they knew what it was. Hew said it can be possible loose wire connection. Which may be the cause of the code. He said, that could be the cause to the warning light malfunction which may in turn cause the code. If you have the workshop Manuel you can find the wire diagram to trace all the connections. He said the may fix the problem unless it is a bad module.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those who have been getting the B115E DTC Code. I went to the dealer tech and asked if they knew what it was. Hew said it can be possible loose wire connection. Which may be the cause of the code. He said, that could be the cause to the warning light malfunction which may in turn cause the code. If you have the workshop Manuel you can find the wire diagram to trace all the connections. He said the may fix the problem unless it is a bad module.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That could be an issue at times but given the number of cameras failing on the early model years, my 'guess' is that it's the camera.
It would be a good idea though to check the connections. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...w-camera-problems.318879/page-14#post-3574641

Peter

True , but even still there are many variations of that code. B115E is just the prefix. The numbers after that are the individual meanings of the code. I have the work shop manual that explains each code. It also explains diagnostics means to resolve each issue.

That is the exact same camera that I bought but when I installed it the image was upside down. When I tried to run the calibration routine in forscan at exactly 8% through the calibration I get an error. I have decided to return the camera. Now I guess I'm stuck going for the $350 oem camera? When I swung by my local ford dealer to get the part number they gave me
Bb5z 19g490a for my 2011 limited. This is a different part number from what I took out:dunno:

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited, and observed the same thing. I bought and installed an FL1T camera, and it was always upside down. The forscan calibration always fails at 8%.

It looks like I need to source a BB5Z, but they appear to be going for $350 on eBay and Amazon.

If anyone has a link for a BB5Z, please share. Good luck all!

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited, and observed the same thing. I bought and installed an FL1T camera, and it was always upside down. The forscan calibration always fails at 8%.

It looks like I need to source a BB5Z, but they appear to be going for $350 on eBay and Amazon.

If anyone has a link for a BB5Z, please share. Good luck all!
Welcome to the Forum Kevin.:wave:
If you want OEM; https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...arch&search_in=all&search_str=rearview camera

Peter

2013 Explorer Limited camera failing. Part number on camera is DB5T-19G490-AB. I can not find this part number on any parts site or eBay. Is there a replacement part number? I tried using a EB5Z-19G490-A with no success. I've read people on FL1T-19G490-AC. Is this the correct replacement part?

2013 Explorer Limited camera failing. Part number on camera is DB5T-19G490-AB. I can not find this part number on any parts site or eBay. Is there a replacement part number? I tried using a EB5Z-19G490-A with no success. I've read people on FL1T-19G490-AC. Is this the correct replacement part?
EB5Z-19G490-A / Rear Camera
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=camera (Forum vendor)
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=camera

Peter

Hello guys.. I'm new in the forum and I need some help. Wen I put my 2016 limited explorer on reverse the backup camera don't work and just show a message saying that contact my dealer any idea?

Hello guys.. I'm new in the forum and I need some help. Wen I put my 2016 limited explorer on reverse the backup camera don't work and just show a message saying that contact my dealer any idea?
That is usually an indication that you need a new reverse camera. If that is the case, make sure that the dealer programs it to your vehicle. Should be a warranty repair.
I will also move your thread to an existing one on the same issues. (this one)

Peter

We have a 2014 Explorer XLT with mft. Camera is working only about 70% of the time. When it works, it's fine. When it doesn't, we have a black screen with the pop up message that says contact the dealer. We have tried disconnecting battery, master reset, and pulling and cleaning the fuse. Any other suggestions?

We have a 2014 Explorer XLT with mft. Camera is working only about 70% of the time. When it works, it's fine. When it doesn't, we have a black screen with the pop up message that says contact the dealer. We have tried disconnecting battery, master reset, and pulling and cleaning the fuse. Any other suggestions?
Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to replace it.:(
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Very useful info to have at times. Thanks.

Peter

Hello all,

We purchased our 2014 Explorer about a year ago, and have been very happy with it for the most part... But now there's an issue that's got me a little stumped. My apologies if old threads have already answered my questions, but I haven't run into one that has my exact scenario. I'll try to lay out exactly what happened and the troubleshooting steps I've already tried, and hopefully you all may have some further insight.

So on our recent vacation, the backup camera stopped functioning correctly. I started the vehicle at a rest stop, put it in reverse like normal... and got the image you hopefully see attached.

I've read other threads where the camera just doesn't come on at all, or it stays on the home screen, but that's not the case for me. It goes to the camera image and the backup sensors continue to work properly. It's just that the image is... well, useless. To my untrained eye, it seems as if the camera is powering on properly, but not functioning correctly.

So, per some other forum posts I've run across for similar-ish problems, I pulled the camera fuse. I then verified that I had pulled the right one by starting the vehicle and putting it in reverse. Nothing, it stayed on the home screen. So now, with the fuse out, it seems that my camera wasn't powering on. Fuse looked fine, so I popped it back in... and same issue.

So I escalated to defcon 2, and pulled the neg battery terminal (and left it disconnected for a few minutes). Put it back on, and (you guessed it) same issue.

So... Here I am. The vehicle only has 50k miles on it, but is out of warranty. No extended warranty, shoulda known better.

My initial assumption is that the camera itself has gone bad, or possibly the wiring between it and the touch screen unit. I hope it's not the latter, because I am not patient or skilled enough to troubleshoot that.

Anyone have input on a solution I might have missed? Does it sound like a bad camera like I'm thinking, or is there something else that could be wrong? If it is a camera, is there a good solution some of you have tried that won't break the bank? Any useful input would be very much appreciated.

Edit: My image didn't seem to post, so I'll try the link here:

Explorer Photo

open

My guess is a bad camera. Video problem.

Peter

story.php
Hello all, this is my first post to the forum but I have done my fair share of researching and can't seem to find any linked or posted wiring digram for the 2011-17 backup camera harness. I recently had my camera replaced and the Ford "technicians"(going to use that term very loosely) said they had to replace both the camera and wiring harness. Three separate trips later (1.5 hours each way) to the dealership I purchased the vehicle at they finally finished the work... BUT guess what, the next morning I put her into reverse and same camera unavailable screen. Needless to say I'm a bit miffed, and I really really really don't want to make another trip to have the same folks work on my ExSport. I pulled off the back trim and inspected their work and TBH it looks like sh*t. I want to just redo the joints and be done with it but would like a diagram to reference. To be clear, the camera is clearly new as is the connector. I'm finding it a bit difficult to complain, considering I didn't pay for the work, but I expected a bit better work to be done on my nearly $50k
2014 Explorer Sport...

story.php
Hello all, this is my first post to the forum but I have done my fair share of researching and can't seem to find any linked or posted wiring digram for the 2011-17 backup camera harness. I recently had my camera replaced and the Ford "technicians"(going to use that term very loosely) said they had to replace both the camera and wiring harness. Three separate trips later (1.5 hours each way) to the dealership I purchased the vehicle at they finally finished the work... BUT guess what, the next morning I put her into reverse and same camera unavailable screen. Needless to say I'm a bit miffed, and I really really really don't want to make another trip to have the same folks work on my ExSport. I pulled off the back trim and inspected their work and TBH it looks like sh*t. I want to just redo the joints and be done with it but would like a diagram to reference. To be clear, the camera is clearly new as is the connector. I'm finding it a bit difficult to complain, considering I didn't pay for the work, but I expected a bit better work to be done on my nearly $50k
2014 Explorer Sport...
I don't know why the wiring harness would have to have been replaced unless there was something wrong with the camera end of the harness. Off hand I don't recall anyone having to replace the wiring harness. I think it would be very unusual for the harness to be bad. Do you know if the "technicians" actually programmed the camera to your Explorer after replacing it? Members sheltonfilms or jmro61 (Jason) may have diagrams of this setup.

Peter

I don't know why the wiring harness would have to have been replaced unless there was something wrong with the camera end of the harness. Off hand I don't recall anyone having to replace the wiring harness. I think it would be very unusual for the harness to be bad. Do you know if the "technicians" actually programmed the camera to your Explorer after replacing it? Members sheltonfilms or jmro61 (Jason) may have diagrams of this setup.

Peter
Guide lines are there so I assume that means they programmed it... It does work intermittently, much like it did when the problem first arose. Except now instead of it working ~50% of the time, it works about 30%. The second time I went to the dealership I believe they replaced the camera, but didn't have all they needed to replace the harness so that's why I had to make the third trip. One of the more annoying bits of it all is that after my 2nd trip, the camera worked without fault. That's what makes me think it's their handiwork on the harness that's causing the trouble, but I could certainly be wrong...

Guide lines are there so I assume that means they programmed it... It does work intermittently, much like it did when the problem first arose. Except now instead of it working ~50% of the time, it works about 30%. The second time I went to the dealership I believe they replaced the camera, but didn't have all they needed to replace the harness so that's why I had to make the third trip. One of the more annoying bits of it all is that after my 2nd trip, the camera worked without fault. That's what makes me think it's their handiwork on the harness that's causing the trouble, but I could certainly be wrong...
If they replaced the harness and the camera works intermittently it could well be a bad connection or harness issue.
One thing you could try is to put the ignition in accessory mode, then put your foot on the brake and put the transmission in 'R' and ensure the camera comes on. Then go back to 'P'. Now with still in accessory, press the liftgate button. When it is open, go back to 'R' and see if you still have the camera working. It should still have a picture. Then go back to 'P' and then hit the liftgate button to close it and quickly go back to 'R'. It should show a picture as the gate closes. If you lose the picture at any time it may indicate a bad connection. It could also be a complete waste of time.;) If doing this on an incline, make sure the emergency/parking brake is engaged. If parked in a garage, make sure the door height is set so as not to hit the garage door.

Peter

story.php
2014 Explorer Sport...

If you don't have Sync:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1069259

If you do have Sync:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1069260

Can you take a picture of what they did?

If you don't have Sync:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1069259

If you do have Sync:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1069260

Can you take a picture of what they did?
I have pictures, but can't seem to figure out how to upload... I'm in the process of redoing the joints to the harness. Soldering and heat shrink instead of crimping and taping like they did... It also appears they used 16ga crimp joints in what to me like like 18ga wire. So the birds nest of wires behind the trim was keeping it from coming flush to the body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To be clear, it wasn't the entire harness they replaced although that's what they had said initially they were going to do. They cut the wires to the female connector that went to the camera and replaced that... So calling it a connector would be a more apt description.

Back