SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 in a 2016 Explorer

Nice job guys! We recently acquired our 2016 and I can't wait to upgrade to sync 3. Quick question for the resident experts with experience - there are notes about the bracket and -SC model number. Does the existing bracket system on our Sync 2 screens work if I picked up a different Sync 3 and try to swap brackets? Or are the screens mounting options too different from Sync 2 to Sync 3? Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job guys! We recently acquired our 2016 and I can't wait to upgrade to sync 3. Quick question for the resident experts with experience - there are notes about the bracket and -SC model number. Does the existing bracket system on our Sync 2 screens work if I picked up a different Sync 3 and try to swap brackets? Or are the screens mounting options too different from Sync 2 to Sync 3? Cheers!

Ford sync 2 brackets can be swapped to sync 3 no problem. There are however two types of Sync 3 screens and you'll need to get the correct one for your vehicle. One out of any of the 2017 ford trucks should be the correct one for the explorer. Mine is out of an F250.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

This looks to have top and bottom brackets (from an Edge). Would this work or do I need to move on? Thanks for the help! Sorry to be a sudden mooch. :burnout:

s-l1600.jpg

Yours, (i'm assuming you have an explorer) has side brackets s but has the indent sides like what is pictured. Should work just fine.

So I just upgraded MFT to Sync 3 in my 2016 Explorer. Everything works great (after Forscan programming) except for the compass which does some weird twitching. I'll probably disable and re-enable it with Forscan to see if that fixes it. The bigger issue I have is that I'm on Sync 3 2.0 and I keep running into an error "MEM_ERR03" every time I try to upgrade to 2.2. Updating over wifi doesn't seem to work.

Also, since my car didn't come with Sync 3 installed Ford site thinks I still have MFT and so I can't download the update directly from them so I'm only guessing the files I have are universal and not model specific.

Anybody had better luck with a 2.0 -> 2.2 update?

Btw, the build of 2.0 I have is not the 16028 it's earlier than that (I'd have to look it up later)

As I recall you have to unplug the original Compass behind the instrument cluster. Unplugging it will stop the flipping. Compass works fine after that. I'm assuming you put a new GPS antenna in it with the Sync 3 upgrade. They're essentially fighting the old compass and the new one.

The 2.0 to 2.2 update can be frustrating. I'm assuming you download it from the Internet. You have to write it correctly to the USB drive. If you're using a Mac that's your problem it unpacks the 2.2 update zip file incorrectly and writes the file names wrong. You will need to use zip -d from the command line to correctly extract the sync3 zip file.

Did you get a sync 3 unit with GPS or no GPS? The non GPS versions have less memory and need a different methodology for updating.

So I just upgraded MFT to Sync 3 in my 2016 Explorer. Everything works great (after Forscan programming) except for the compass which does some weird twitching. I'll probably disable and re-enable it with Forscan to see if that fixes it. The bigger issue I have is that I'm on Sync 3 2.0 and I keep running into an error "MEM_ERR03" every time I try to upgrade to 2.2. Updating over wifi doesn't seem to work.

Also, since my car didn't come with Sync 3 installed Ford site thinks I still have MFT and so I can't download the update directly from them so I'm only guessing the files I have are universal and not model specific.

Anybody had better luck with a 2.0 -> 2.2 update?

Btw, the build of 2.0 I have is not the 16028 it's earlier than that (I'd have to look it up later)
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Hope you get it all straightened out.

Peter

As I recall you have to unplug the original Compass behind the instrument cluster. Unplugging it will stop the flipping. Compass works fine after that. I'm assuming you put a new GPS antenna in it with the Sync 3 upgrade. They're essentially fighting the old compass and the new one.

The 2.0 to 2.2 update can be frustrating. I'm assuming you download it from the Internet. You have to write it correctly to the USB drive. If you're using a Mac that's your problem it unpacks the 2.2 update zip file incorrectly and writes the file names wrong. You will need to use zip -d from the command line to correctly extract the sync3 zip file.

Did you get a sync 3 unit with GPS or no GPS? The non GPS versions have less memory and need a different methodology for updating.

Ahh, thanks! I didn't know about the compass. I'll have to check that. As far as the software update goes, I did notice that the files extracted with a backslash which gave me an error of it's own when I tried installing it. I fixed that and it actually tries to install for ~ 5 minutes or so, but then inevitably comes up with that mem error. I will try to do a master reset to see if that helps.

Ahh, thanks! I didn't know about the compass. I'll have to check that. As far as the software update goes, I did notice that the files extracted with a backslash which gave me an error of it's own when I tried installing it. I fixed that and it actually tries to install for ~ 5 minutes or so, but then inevitably comes up with that mem error. I will try to do a master reset to see if that helps.

If I remember correctly when others have done this upgrade they had to use the VIN of the donor vehicle that gave you the SYNC3 APIM so the Ford Owners website can see that VIN and dispense SYNC3 updates as if the APIM was still in the original vehicle. If the APIM is brand new I'm at a loss for how to trick Ford Owner Website unless there is a way in Forscan to mate your vehicle with a new SYNC3 APIM.

jrm061 would know.

I bought this thing on eBay ($350 for screen + APIM). Just messaged the seller for the donor VIN. Will update if/when I get it and what gets reflected on the Ford site accordingly.

Ford will always tell you the vehicle has SYNC2(MFT) and their site will never update it to SYNC3. Ford states V2 to V2.2 is a dealer only update. So if you get the file to update to 2.2, do so at your own risk. Honestly you really aren't gaining anything going to V2.2. I would just leave it.

I'm a software engineer...I can't just "leave it" :)

Alright, got all issues resolved!

Here's how I solved the "MEM_ERR03":

(I think these 3 steps are optional, but this is what I did)
1. Master Reset Sync 3.
2. Turn off car and open door.
3. Wait for 5 minutes

I then split up the update into 2 parts as described here: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f337/how-upgrade-sync-3-2-0-2-2-a-624377/

Part 1 (`Item 4` removed):
Code:
; Gen 3 - Consumer Assembly Update - NonNav/NEU - 17011

[SYNCGen3.0_2.2.17011_PRODUCT]
Item1 = HB5T-14G386-TBB
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HB5T-14G386-TBB.tar.gz
Item2 = GB5T-14G386-SB
Open2 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-SB.tar.gz
Item3 = HN1T-14G391-BC
Open3 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G391-BC.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall

; 2nd half

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G423-BA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G423-BA.tar.gz
Item2 = GB5T-14G386-AA
Open2 = SyncMyRide\GB5T-14G386-AA.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall,Delay,Include,Transaction

Part 2:

Code:
[SYNCGen3.0_ALL]
Item1 = HN1T-14G381-SA
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G381-SA.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall

After the update was done I had Sync 3 2.2 build 17011 and my compass problem went away! So no need to unplug the gpsm module.

Got it up and running! Easy swap and not too bad to program - just had to buy a new elm327 that had the mscan switch. Only issue - I don't see the speed limit in my dash now. I did buy a non nav unit (to use CarPlay maps), would that cause the speed limit to disappear? Thanks!

Got it up and running! Easy swap and not too bad to program - just had to buy a new elm327 that had the mscan switch. Only issue - I don't see the speed limit in my dash now. I did buy a non nav unit (to use CarPlay maps), would that cause the speed limit to disappear? Thanks!

Yes, the speed limits are in the map data and only on the nav units.

Yes, the speed limits are in the map data and only on the nav units.
I guess they must have updated the data while a stretch of one of our major highways was having work done on it an had a temporary 80kmh (50 mph) speed limit. The work was completed and is back to 100 kmh (60 mph) but the navigation shows 80 kmh. It's a good thing that the insurance module plugged into the OBD port does compare the two.;)

Peter

Hey all, just came across this thread today after doing a bit of research on the SYNC2 to SYNC3 swap. I don't even remember how I ended up on this subject today, but I just noticed the time and apparently I've spent half the day looking at this.

I have 2016 Explorer XLT 201A and want SYNC3 mostly for the Android Auto features. I don't really care about navigation, as I would just use my phone for that. I've come across the 4D Tech page with their $1600 package and have to be honest, it's really appealing. That said, I don't exactly have an extra $1600 laying around, so I'm interested in seeing what I can do on my own. All told, what have you all spent to get a screen and APIM to do this swap?

Also, I have zero experience with Forscan, so I'm not entirely sure what I'd be getting myself into there. But, I am pretty technical so I think I could manage to figure things out, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any kind of guides or walkthroughs for those who work best with step-by-step instructions?

Would appreciate some feedback from those of you who have gone through this by sourcing parts individually and programming the APIM. Thanks in advance!

Hey all, just came across this thread today after doing a bit of research on the SYNC2 to SYNC3 swap. I don't even remember how I ended up on this subject today, but I just noticed the time and apparently I've spent half the day looking at this.

I have 2016 Explorer XLT 201A and want SYNC3 mostly for the Android Auto features. I don't really care about navigation, as I would just use my phone for that. I've come across the 4D Tech page with their $1600 package and have to be honest, it's really appealing. That said, I don't exactly have an extra $1600 laying around, so I'm interested in seeing what I can do on my own. All told, what have you all spent to get a screen and APIM to do this swap?
Welcome to the Forum:wave:
Check out this post; 2015 MFT 8" No NAV - Upgrade ideas to get Android Auto

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody have battery drain issues with sync 3? Hoping I just have a coincidental faulty battery and not a communication/parasitic loss issue post upgrade.

Back