What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I've never been a fan of faux wood. Wrap it!

Just now have to find the right color.
Looks great!! That gives it a much "sportier" look I think. From the pictures its hard to tell how the wood matches with the rest now but personally I like the idea of color matching the trim color that is around the tweeters and air vents. Either way the custom look is awesome

I originally wanted to buy the sport, but when they showed me the platinum I couldn't pass up the price they gave me especially with all the perks. But now I think I've spend twice the difference in modifying my car to look like a sport. The irony... :p

I'm going to take better photos of it without all the light. It's more of a red-brushed color. It looks more copper whenever I take the photos. The good thing is it's not permanent. I could easily remove it and re-do it another color. I was thinking of the carbon black look but everyone does that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

......That might be worse, because it makes it more expensive, and accomplishes the same...nothing.
It looks great. Love it. I think it gives the interior a warmer more luxurious appearance IMO. :)
But then everyone has their own opinion.

First off, yes, Alfred is filthy. He'll get a bath later today (likely, at least. Unless the Bears game goes really badly, haha.) Anyway, got the overlays installed. They're not perfect. I probably should have done them this morning versus last evening, but having said that unless you're standing right on top of them looking for the imperfections most won't notice them. Still have a few small air bubbles to work out. Got most of them. Will give it a week or two of being out in the air and sunlight and then go back and finish them off. At any rate the whole point of this is most likely temporary, anyway. If the wife eventually gives her blessing I'll order replacements, paint them up, and replace these.

I really like the orange and black (goes with the calipers, haha), but just told the wife if/when I eventually paint them I'll probably go with black lettering and magnetic metallic over the blue. It will blend in well that way. The orange is actually a lot more noticeable than I thought it would be (again, not necessarily a bad thing.) Of course the calipers were a 'shock' to me when I finished them, too, and now I love them. :)

20170910_105225.jpg

20170910_104624.jpg

20170910_102919.jpg

Just now have to find the right color.

I originally wanted to buy the sport, but when they showed me the platinum I couldn't pass up the price they gave me especially with all the perks. But now I think I've spend twice the difference in modifying my car to look like a sport. The irony... :p

I'm going to take better photos of it without all the light. It's more of a red-brushed color. It looks more copper whenever I take the photos. The good thing is it's not permanent. I could easily remove it and re-do it another color. I was thinking of the carbon black look but everyone does that.

I wish they had the platinum trim in '15, I love that interior.

But I actually like the color myself, just not sure what would be a good accent to it instead of wood

Did you know that if your battery dies and you need to get in your Explorer and you forgot your code there's a key inside the key fob?!

You learn something new everyday.
IMG_3428.JPG

Did you know that if your battery dies and you need to get in your Explorer and you forgot your code there's a key inside the key fob?!

You learn something new everyday.
I guess you never got that far when reading your Manual, eh? Amazing the info you can find in there.;)
If excessive radio frequency interference
is present in the area or if the transmitter
battery is low, you may need to
mechanically unlock your door. You can
use the mechanical key blade in your
intelligent access key to open the driver
door in this situation. See Remote
Control (page 49).

Peter

Leave the MODKING alone!....he rules!

I guess you never got that far when reading your Manual, eh? Amazing the info you can find in there.;)
If excessive radio frequency interference
is present in the area or if the transmitter
battery is low, you may need to
mechanically unlock your door. You can
use the mechanical key blade in your
intelligent access key to open the driver
door in this situation. See Remote
Control (page 49).

Peter

Manual? Manual? We don't need no stinking manuals... :p

Went to a Ford dealer in MN. Key wasn't being recognized. Guys replaced my batteries for free and showed me that.

He asked why I wasn't shown that by my dealer. I told him I don't like my dealer. LOL

Manual? Manual? We don't need no stinking manuals... :p

Went to a Ford dealer in MN. Key wasn't being recognized. Guys replaced my batteries for free and showed me that.

He asked why I wasn't shown that by my dealer. I told him I don't like my dealer. LOL

I saw the key blade on a YouTube video. They were showing how to replace the key fob batteries and yes... we have two per key fob. The key was in there. I also got a spare key that looks like a Valet key as well on a key ring. So keys everywhere for me.

I also got a spare key that looks like a Valet key as well on a key ring. So keys everywhere for me.
I have one of those 'valet' keys and all it will do is unlock/lock the door and the glovebox. Not really of any use to a Valet.:D I'm guessing it just a copy of the key blade found in the fob.

Peter

Hey all, been a member here for a couple years, but haven't visited in a long time because the wife had the Ex and I was driving the Fusion, so I was spending time on those forums. Now that we have switched vehicles back, I'm looking to make some upgrades.

Planning to plasti-dip almost everything that isn't black this weekend (roof rack rails, door handles, rear Explorer trim, door trim, etc). I've heard people say something like "foiled the chrome inserts on the grill". I was thinking about dipping them, but wanted to find out what the "foil" thing is first. Anyone have more info on that?

Loving the custom stuff going on here, looks really good! Oh, and my current mods are in the signature.

Today, I cleaned and conditioned all of the leather, with Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I also used Meguiar's 39 to remove the wax I got on the trim. It works well. As soon as they finish repaving my street, I'll wash it and hit the trim with Mother's Back to Black again.

Replaced my third brake light with a blacked out one this weekend. Fits in much better with the black stripe I have.

Was actually expecting an easier install....Didn't realize I'd have to remove the entire spoiler piece to get at the light :dunno:

Comparison of lights:
IMG_3266.jpg

And after install:
IMG_3269.jpg

sorry for the crappy after install pic...I get better ones eventually

Drove to AZ and saw 2 nice explorers. One white with the lower black pieces painted to match, tinted, black wheels. The other a red xlt with led tag lights and led/hid lows and fogs. I like to see other explorers with personal touches on them. both 2011-2015.

Replaced my third brake light with a blacked out one this weekend. Fits in much better with the black stripe I have.

Was actually expecting an easier install....Didn't realize I'd have to remove the entire spoiler piece to get at the light :dunno:

Comparison of lights:
View attachment 151081

And after install:
View attachment 151082

sorry for the crappy after install pic...I get better ones eventually
Can you give us a photo with the new unit lit up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back