How to order a 2018? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to order a 2018?

dx492

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer LTD
Went to the dealer yesterday and the salesman seemed to have no idea how to place an order for a 2018. How do you do it?

Also, is the pricing expected to be pretty similar to the 2017MY (MSRP)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went to the dealer yesterday and the salesman seemed to have no idea how to place an order for a 2018. How do you do it?

Also, is the pricing expected to be pretty similar to the 2017MY (MSRP)?
The only way to order one that I'm aware of is through a dealer. Unfortunately you can't walk up to the factory for this.;) Your profile doesn't show where you are located. Apparently another member from Canada mentioned that the dealers are not able to order yet. In the U.S. dealers have placed orders.

Peter

The only way to order one that I'm aware of is through a dealer. Unfortunately you can't walk up to the factory for this.;) Your profile doesn't show where you are located. Apparently another member from Canada mentioned that the dealers are not able to order yet. In the U.S. dealers have placed orders.

Peter

Texas. Any idea what kind of pricing to expect? There are apparently some incentives ending tomorrow and I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 17 or 18. The local inventory for 17's is extremely limited with the exact specs that I'm looking for, but there are a few that match almost everything. So it's basically a cost tradeoff for the increased cost of the 18's (currently unknown) for the specs that I'd be willing to forego (eg color).

If a salesman doesn't know how to place a car order, I'd find a different dealer. Their guys are clearly not trained well.

If a salesman doesn't know how to place a car order, I'd find a different dealer. Their guys are clearly not trained well.
I was actually thinking that very thing when I read the post.:D

Peter

Texas. Any idea what kind of pricing to expect? There are apparently some incentives ending tomorrow and I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 17 or 18. The local inventory for 17's is extremely limited with the exact specs that I'm looking for, but there are a few that match almost everything. So it's basically a cost tradeoff for the increased cost of the 18's (currently unknown) for the specs that I'd be willing to forego (eg color).
Not sure what the 17's are going for but I'm quite confident in saying that you'll probably pay more for a 2018 than a current 2017. The 2018 Explorers likely won't hit the lots until late November or early December. Production was still scheduled to start Oct. 20th the last time I checked.
I don't know if the U.S. has had their Employee Pricing promo yet. It is on here and close to ending. Also have the $1000 Costco rebate at the moment.

Peter

Not sure what the 17's are going for but I'm quite confident in saying that you'll probably pay more for a 2018 than a current 2017. The 2018 Explorers likely won't hit the lots until late November or early December. Production was still scheduled to start Oct. 20th the last time I checked.
I don't know if the U.S. has had their Employee Pricing promo yet. It is on here and close to ending. Also have the $1000 Costco rebate at the moment.

Peter

Edmunds is showing about $3k in incentives for the 2017 Limited. Go to Offer > Show Details.

I've seen people mention a Ford Employee Pricing incentive, but have never found any details of it. Where do you go to find the available incentives?

I was actually thinking that very thing when I read the post.:D

Peter

I suspect he was trying to move their inventory, but who knows. He pulled up Ford.com on his computer and showed me that you can't place an order online...

Edmunds is showing about $3k in incentives for the 2017 Limited. Go to Offer > Show Details.

I've seen people mention a Ford Employee Pricing incentive, but have never found any details of it. Where do you go to find the available incentives?
The Ford website. Select the Explorer and scroll down to the very bottom and select "Special Offers".

Peter

Ford Employee Pricing + $1000 Costco rebate tends to happen twice a year. It's a huge hassle-free deal, which yielded me approximately 11% off MSRP when the dust settled as the Costco rebate kicks in after taxes are calculated. I bought my 17 Sport off the lot back in August 2016, so I've had it 14 months now and was lucky with the timing. They try to counter it with higher interest rates. For me, in July 2016 the interest rates were 3.99% for 4 year finance, but in August it went down to 1.99% (while both months had the Employee Pricing / Costco deal) -- Canada has higher finance rates than America does.

Apparently, people really like the 2018 Explorer

Ford Explorer sales increased 24.79 percent to 21,520 units; representing its best November sales performance in 13 years; retail sales increased 24.2 percent
  • The gains came from every region of the country, with the biggest gain coming from the southeast, where sales increased 32 percent

Read more: Ford Motor Company November 2017 Sales Numbers USA

Good for FMC, seems as if those carbon monoxide concerns haven't registered for potential and actual buyers.

Apparently, people really like the 2018 Explorer
Would those sales not also include 2017 models sitting on dealer lots? Only a handful of members here have ordered a 2018, about the same number who were looking to buy a 2017 in the past few months. The new Nautilus looked interesting with the new grille shared by the MKZ and Continental. May have to add it to my list along with the redesigned Explorer.:)

Peter

Would those sales not also include 2017 models sitting on dealer lots? Only a handful of members here have ordered a 2018, about the same number who were looking to buy a 2017 in the past few months. The new Nautilus looked interesting with the new grille shared by the MKZ and Continental. May have to add it to my list along with the redesigned Explorer.:)

Peter

Your probably right, I think those numbers are generated by sales transactions and orders, not just new orders.

Anyone that wants a 2018, best wait for the next Ford Employee Pricing + Costco deal. And you'll get a haggle free way of getting ~11% MSRP off. Happens twice a year. Doesn't seem to apply to the high end Mustangs, Raptor yet... questionable whether the new Expedition will be included either.

Anyone that wants a 2018, best wait for the next Ford Employee Pricing + Costco deal. And you'll get a haggle free way of getting ~11% MSRP off. Happens twice a year. Doesn't seem to apply to the high end Mustangs, Raptor yet... questionable whether the new Expedition will be included either.

Don't know what Costco's deal is but here is what FoMoCo offers:

FYI:

A-Plan
Ford's A-Plan is intended for Ford employees. This is often considered to be the best possible deal out of Ford's discounted Plan offers.
How it's calculated: Invoice - Holdback (~3%) - Advertising Fee (698) + $275 program fee

Z-Plan
The Z-Plan is identical to the A-Plan but applies to Ford retirees. Since the programs are so similar, they are frequently referenced together as A/Z Plan.
How it's calculated: Same as A-Plan

X-Plan
The X-Plan is actually two programs that equate to a discount for friends, family, and groups with special affiliations with Ford.
The Ford Partner Recognition X-Plan is essentially a supplier discount that members of certain companies that do business with Ford may qualify for.
The Friends & Neighbors X-Plan is a much broader set that can be used by employees and retirees to sponsor purchases by family and individuals outside their family.
How it's calculated: Invoice - 0.4% + $275 program fee

D-Plan
Ford's D-Plan applies to dealer employees and family members.
How it's calculated: A-Plan + $100

Seems to me that you can normally dicker much better deals off the sticker than that without any special ‘discounts’. If that’s truly their enoloyee pricing, I’d consider it a slap in the face as an employee.

Don't know what Costco's deal is but here is what FoMoCo offers:
The Costco offer, when if effect, is a $1000 rebate provided you were a member by the date specified. The date will be mentioned in the promotion and is usually at lest a month prior to the offer. This is to prevent people from running out and getting a membership just to get the rebate. Also the promotion usually runs at different times in Canada and the U.S.
Merry Christmas guys!

Peter

Seems to me that you can normally dicker much better deals off the sticker than that without any special ‘discounts’. If that’s truly their enoloyee pricing, I’d consider it a slap in the face as an employee.

This is the way it worked out for my vehicle:

upload_2017-12-24_19-32-24.png

I have no idea what FPA and AA are. They were there on an invoice I was shown.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Better the A Plan + Costco?........Not a chance........I challenge you to show in writing any deal that's better than A Plan.

Back