Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

I got the size and ABS info from a post in this Forum. In the post it mentioned that the 2016 Explorer had preprogrammed and acceptable tire sizes in one of the modules. It went on to mention that changing the tire size also made changes/updated the info in some other control modules like ABS. I believe it may have been a post by jmr061 but can't be sure.

Peter

I'd like to know how this works, as it has to have GPS input for this to be possible. Otherwise, larger tires ( all around) would just make the vehicle think it is moving a bit slower.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got bored and swapped out my wheels for some TSW Rally wheels that I had refinished in a goldish/silver - wheel specs are 20x10" 25mm and the same 305/50/20 Toyo Open Country A/T II's.

all_star_explorer_01.jpg

all_star_explorer_02.jpg

all_star_explorer_03.jpg

all_star_explorer_04.jpg

all_star_explorer_05.jpg

Got bored and swapped out my wheels for some TSW Rally wheels that I had refinished in a goldish/silver - wheel specs are 20x10" 25mm and the same 305/50/20 Toyo Open Country A/T II's.
While they look good they exceed the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance by twice that number (6.6%). Not good for the preprogrammed specs for modules like the ABS. Also apart from adding extra pressure to the braking system they will also put extra strain on the suspension parts. But they do look good, especially with the vehicle colour. Just don't get a flat since the spare won't work.:)
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-305-50r20

While they look good they exceed the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance by twice that number (6.6%). Not good for the preprogrammed specs for modules like the ABS. Also apart from adding extra pressure to the braking system they will also put extra strain on the suspension parts. But they do look good, especially with the vehicle colour.:)
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-305-50r20

I think the "variance" referred to here is wheel to wheel size variance, not a variance in all 4 . In other words, if the abs senses one wheel spinning faster than the rest, it will set off an abs error.

The abs has no way of knowing all 4 are larger.

I think the "variance" referred to here is wheel to wheel size variance, not a variance in all 4 . In other words, if the abs senses one wheel spinning faster than the rest, it will set off an abs error.

The abs has no way of knowing all 4 are larger.
From what I've read on the tire sites is that when 'up sizing' tires, they should not exceed the OEM diameter size by more than 3%. On 1010tires.com a pop up will state that when you compare sizes to the OEM. As for the ABS not knowing tires are larger I can't really comment on that except to say that a few acceptable sizes are reprogrammed into a module (BCM?) of the 2016/17 models. When a tire size is changed, you can then, using IDS or Forscan, chose the new size and it will reprogram the affected modules to account for the new wheels/tires. Increasing the size would in most cases also increase the overall weight and affect stopping ability.

Peter

Hi guys!
I own a 2016 explorer limited and i installed Traxda lift kit for it (That was the only option for my SUV on the market as of right now.
So i wonder if there's any kinda customization lift so i could go 4 to 5 inches higher (total).
Thank you guys for your time!

I went ahead and pulled the plug on the lift project. I was a little bummed initially because i found out that lifting the Ex was possible right after i had purchased new tires, but i was able to sell my rims and new tires for enough to cover the cost of new 17 inch rims with 265/70/17 Dick Cepek Fun country tires. The lift i bought was not from traxda but rather an online competetor that cost me about 40% of what Traxda was charging and gave me 3 inches of lift in the front and 2 inches in the back so it was bigger which is always cooler. In the end i got almost 5 inches of added height and ground clearance.

THERE WAS DEFINITE RUBBING when i first put the wheels on since my new rims had more backspace than the factory 20's that I was running. I had to remove the plastic mud flaps and play with the pinch welds a little to get rid of the issue. It was a bit of work but definitely worth it. I have since put on a 52 inch curved LED light bar that makes the ex look mean, and also purchased a rooftop tent so i can camp anywhere my Ex can get me (which is surprisingly a lot of places thanks to the lift)

10,000 miles later there are no issues with any suspension components and my brakes still work just as well as they did before. I was hesitant to go ahead with the project because of all the "horror stories" and precautions people were listing on the forum, but i couldn't be happier with my decision. Doing all the work is definitely a risk but hey, no risk no reward. That's just my 2 cents.

My pictures won't show up on this comment but if you hold the control button and click in the icon and hit open image on new tab, the image will show up

If you have any questions feel free to message me

p.jpeg

Hi guys!
I own a 2016 explorer limited and i installed Traxda lift kit for it (That was the only option for my SUV on the market as of right now.
So i wonder if there's any kinda customization lift so i could go 4 to 5 inches higher (total).
Thank you guys for your time!

I'm sure there is no one that will come out with that kind of a lift for it. It's nearly impossible to because of the cv angle that would have to come out of the transmission. You also have a uni body, no body lift can be done.

I'm sure there is no one that will come out with that kind of a lift for it. It's nearly impossible to because of the cv angle that would have to come out of the transmission. You also have a uni body, no body lift can be done.
I would think you could pretty much 'lift' almost any unibody vehicle by using strut and subframe spacers. It shouldn't be too hard to make spacers out of aluminum block and get some longer mounting bolts, but no idea how many other mods you'd need to do to make it all work. Not sure how much lift you can 'reasonably' get from this method either, but I assume it would vary by vehicle.

I believe people have been doing these type of lifts on Subaru vehicles for many years now.

Many members have successfully "lifted" their 5th gens. as you can see in this thread.

Peter

Many members have successfully "lifted" their 5th gens. as you can see in this thread.

Peter

He already has the traxada lift, you can't stress the cv axles any more than the 2-3" lift he has now. He is looking for another 4+ inches which is not going to happen.

I would think you could pretty much 'lift' almost any unibody vehicle by using strut and subframe spacers. It shouldn't be too hard to make spacers out of aluminum block and get some longer mounting bolts, but no idea how many other mods you'd need to do to make it all work. Not sure how much lift you can 'reasonably' get from this method either, but I assume it would vary by vehicle.

I believe people have been doing these type of lifts on Subaru vehicles for many years now.

Sure you might be able to squeeze another inch or two out by messing with subframe spacers but 4"+ is not safe without spending some time fabing up an entire system to drop the engine and trans subframe.

He already has the traxada lift, you can't stress the cv axles any more than the 2-3" lift he has now. He is looking for another 4+ inches which is not going to happen.
Yes, I was aware of that. I was just replying to your statement, "You also have a uni body, no body lift can be done." Perhaps my understanding of "body lift" isn't the same as just a 'lift'. I believe he wants 4 -5 inches in total height, not in addition to the 2 or 3 he already has. In any case it is bound to affect the powertrain warranty should something fail because of it.

Peter

Body lifts just lift the cab by putting taller bushings between the frame ( which he wouldn't have) and the cab. No body lifts on unibodies.

Guys this thread has been a great read, I am new to the forum and have been scanning thread after thread so I don't duplicate other issues that have been discussed already. So here is my question with the lifts. I noticed the rears have a lower spacer between the shock and arm and the front has the spacer for the sway bar end links. Have any of you noticed more suspension noise as a result of the spacers. The sway bar endlink spacer looks like it may cause some noise and the rear lower spacer on other vehicles I have done this on have cause clunking noises when the weight shifts left right front rear? Trying to figure out if I want to pull this trigger. Also if I use air bags in the rear coils mostly for towing, does this raise the rear to much with the lift?

Guys this thread has been a great read, I am new to the forum and have been scanning thread after thread so I don't duplicate other issues that have been discussed already. So here is my question with the lifts. I noticed the rears have a lower spacer between the shock and arm and the front has the spacer for the sway bar end links. Have any of you noticed more suspension noise as a result of the spacers. The sway bar endlink spacer looks like it may cause some noise and the rear lower spacer on other vehicles I have done this on have cause clunking noises when the weight shifts left right front rear? Trying to figure out if I want to pull this trigger. Also if I use air bags in the rear coils mostly for towing, does this raise the rear to much with the lift?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I believe you are the first to bring up adding air bags to the suspension.

Peter

Most bags will give much more stiffness than they will lift.

Most bags will give much more stiffness than they will lift.
In my towing applications in the past that has been true as far as the stiffness. But on the pick up trucks of my past it would lift the load so there was no saggy butt disease. I would assume "to a point" it would do the same here. The air bags are going on this weekend.
I am torn on the suspension lift. if it causes noises due to the lower shock spacers I may have to find another way. Little clunks and bags drive me nuts. I grew up listening and feeling the vehicle so I can know when a failure was about to occur and safely get out of harms way. Unfortunately the option of a Bilstein 5100 series lift shock isn't available to the 5th gen Explorer...yet. So if any of the forum members have the lifts and experienced noises or faults I would love to hear about them. The kit is cheep enough and easy enough to install.

In my towing applications in the past that has been true as far as the stiffness. But on the pick up trucks of my past it would lift the load so there was no saggy butt disease. I would assume "to a point" it would do the same here. The air bags are going on this weekend.
There are many members that have towed close or slightly over the maximum towing weight and have not reported any problems or a need to add air bags. I don't think you can compare the Explorer to a pick up truck. Staying within the towing weight guidelines and with the use of a weight distribution hitch I don't see any need for air bags.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-whats-the-most-weight-you-have-towed.441043/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...do-you-tow-with-your-5th-gen-explorer.325799/

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are many members that have towed close or slightly over the maximum towing weight and have not reported any problems or a need to add air bags. I don't think you can compare the Explorer to a pick up truck. Staying within the towing weight guidelines and with the use of a weight distribution hitch I don't see any need for air bags.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-whats-the-most-weight-you-have-towed.441043/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...do-you-tow-with-your-5th-gen-explorer.325799/

Peter

You are right comparing the Explorer to a truck isn't fair by any means. I was in more reference to the droop in the rear like the first picture where guy has his boat or down a little further where they are pulling a nice mustang. Typically when the rear is loaded and the suspension sags a little it has the tendency to unload the front end a little. Mentally draw a line from front to rear of the vehicle unloaded, then load the vehicle that line tips to the rear, right? The front being unloaded affects steering, stopping and all around drivability. Along with a weight dist. hitch you also need to distribute weight in a more balanced fashion from rear wheels to front wheels, in order to help maintain drive ability. With the air bags, even though the initial weight is still basically on your rear wheels, if you can stiffen the rear end enough that the mentally drawn line effectively straightens back out. Meaning the weight of the vehicle has some additional weight carried on the front end, the brake will be more effective and the steering won't get as light when the symmetry of the vehicle returns to normal. The difference of 100 lbs. on the front wheels will make a huge difference in stability. I am not try to tow in access of the Explorers abilities, but I do want to maintain as much control over the Vehicle as possible.
Hope this help you see what my thoughts are with the bags.

As a side note I really didn't want to get to an off topic discussion of the OP, I do appreciate your reply's. Really I do.

Back to the initial question, the noise in suspension with the lift. Any issues or concerns? The lift definitely make the EX a better looking Ride. I just want it to be as quiet a ride as before.

Back