Roof rust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rust

My 93 runs great has 92K original miles & works for me. However the roof is rusting. I had a body shop repaint the roof 6 years ago for $200. I know they they just sanded it a little & repainted. The rust is coming back in some spots. While I can't yet feel it through I know it will soon be if I don't do anything. My question is what.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on the results you'll be happy to get. I'd clean it up yourself. Start with a fairly aggressive sandpaper, and sand the metal as shiny clean as you can. The more of the rust speckles you get out the longer it will take to return. You could use some Fiberglass resin and mat if it's bad, or a high build material like smooth roll on bedliner and have a topcoat put over that.

^^^^
That.

Unfortunate lesson #1. Rust never sleeps.
Unfortunate lesson #2 first two gens explorers really enjoy rusting.
Unfortunate lesson #3 once it is there, it is never going away completely.

MBrooks gives solid advise. I have nothing to add.

I've learned to accept that unless you are replacing panels rust repairs are only temporary. I've had some luck with the better 'rust converters' fotcsloeing it down, but nothing really stops it.

I have no where to DIY. I'd have to get a shop to do this. They won't give me any warranty & the quotes I have for more of a long term solution are above $1K. I was thinking of getting someone to sand the roof to bare metal, even out the spots with filler, cover with POR15 then get a shop to paint it. I think I could get that done for around $400.

How much of the roof is affected?

I have no where to DIY. I'd have to get a shop to do this. They won't give me any warranty & the quotes I have for more of a long term solution are above $1K. I was thinking of getting someone to sand the roof to bare metal, even out the spots with filler, cover with POR15 then get a shop to paint it. I think I could get that done for around $400.
Yeah, no shop will warranty rust repair.

i think this is the major problem for your car because rusting is not common thing for car you should seriously contact some car wash company and i am sure they will help you

Rusting is extremely common on Explorers. What's a car wash going to do?

"That'll buff right out, brah"

I'd think a few spot the size of quarters could be slowed long enough to get you to the expected life of the truck.

Ditto, very small spots can be handled well. If the rust is only on a surface, that can be ground out completely and treated(with POR15 or etching primer etc). The POR15 has to go on bare metal, it's the first step, not after any filler.

If the rust is in a seam, that is impossible to remove, or stop. The best for seam corrosion is Eastwood's Rust Dissolver. It's just like water, it will wick into seams, and does eat rust. It just cannot eat through any real thickness of rust, just the surface layer. On a surface you can get to the bottom of the rust with mechanical means, and finish it with proper treatment and sealers.

Here's the initial process I went through for my 93 left quarter panel, the bottom seam where a QP had been replaced five years earlier. I dug into it with a screw driver, and applied as much of the Rust Dissolver as possible, then Rust Encapsulator, seam sealer, and it was painted over. The top edge of the windshield channel was going bad also, the past body work didn't address that area at all(just scraped it clean and put in new glass). I cleaned it out the last time and treated it well. That was 11 years ago, I expect the rust is still busy eating its way out.

LR quarter repair.jpg

LR quarter rust repair.jpg

Projectthread042.JPG

Projectthread045.JPG

Just spots the size of maybe 2 quarters, but the paint is bubbling in other areas too.
You might want to pull the headliner and see what the inside looks like. It might have a leak and/or need some sanding and (could be brush on, this is all hidden later by the headliner) thick rusty metal primer there.

Back