would you risk it ?? replacement radio/nav | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

would you risk it ?? replacement radio/nav

So my explorer is a base model with Manual climate controls. Would I control it through the screen or the buttons on the bottom. How do the buttons work. Do they light up?

you can control the a\c from both, touch screen and the buttons, except the rear a\c power button on the screen only.

and yes the buttons light up

check this

IMG_7752.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been watching this unit and wondering if sync voice will still work, you just answered my question thanks for the review.

for the sync you have to do something for it to work

there is an RCA audio out from the canbus of the unit you have to connect them to RCA audio in. and sync audio commands will work.

you can control the a\c from both, touch screen and the buttons, except the rear a\c power button on the screen only.

check this

IMG_7752.jpg
Last questions. Do you lose any of the functions associated with the old 4.5" screen. I'm pretty much sold on trying this out. What outputs does this have. I need a cable to plug a Sirius player into. I saw you had tom tom running did that come with it or something you add.

Last questions. Do you lose any of the functions associated with the old 4.5" screen. I'm pretty much sold on trying this out. What outputs does this have. I need a cable to plug a Sirius player into. I saw you had tom tom running did that come with it or something you add.

No there isn't any. i was concern about the outside temp before buying the unit but fortunately the unit support it.

for Sirius player i never tried it before because it's not supported in my country and its not working on the original unit.

but i will do some research for it.

for the navigation. it's not tom tom it's a IGO navigation and it came a long with the unit.

but i installed a google maps from google play store.

Hey everyone thanks for all the info. As much as I wanted to try the Chinese unit I ended up going with the metra kit with a pioneer headunit. I was almost sold on the Chinese kit but not being compatible with Sirius was a deal breaker for me and having separate Sirius receiver was out of the question. Tomorrow I'll do a write up on the install, it was very simple. I picked up the ford sat radio harness which I modified so I could use the oem antenna. Also installed a maestro kit to retain the steering wheel controls and vehicle dash information.

check this

IMG_7752.jpg

How’s the unit holding up? I’m eyeing a few PIU’s and know I’ll have to upgrade the stereo. I’ve seen bad reviews on similar chinese radios where they’ll freeze up in the wintertime; and being in NYC that isn’t gonna fly. I just feel like the metra kit looks a little dated but if that’s a better choice then I’ll just have to deal with it.

How’s the unit holding up? I’m eyeing a few PIU’s and know I’ll have to upgrade the stereo. I’ve seen bad reviews on similar chinese radios where they’ll freeze up in the wintertime; and being in NYC that isn’t gonna fly. I just feel like the metra kit looks a little dated but if that’s a better choice then I’ll just have to deal with it.

Sorry i was traveling, i didn't see your reply. the unit is rock solid. stable and reliable. no issues and there is no freezes. i have not seen any difference with the sound quality comparing with the original unit. even though this unit gives you a freedom to wire new speakers and sup woofer, i would not recommend it for someone who want's a stereo upgrade, or someone want install new premium sound system in his car.

I've had one of these units for almost a year. The only things I don't like are:

1. My 2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost has automatic headlamps from the factory. The head unit seems to go into the night brightness during the day and I have to cycle through the buttons to make it brighter. If I turn the headlamp switch to off, it doesn't do this.
2. The orange lights indicating what settings are current on the A/C settings are too dim and very hard to see during the day.
3. Android 4.4.4 - a little slow and dated, but it works.
4. The stock firmware isn't that good. I upgraded to Kotix and use a different car menu system.
5. No dedicated subwoofer output.
6. Very limited bluetooth support.

Overall, it has worked better for me than I thought it would. There is now a large LCD version (think Tesla) without buttons available.

I've had one of these units for almost a year. The only things I don't like are:

1. My 2015 Explorer Police Utility Ecoboost has automatic headlamps from the factory. The head unit seems to go into the night brightness during the day and I have to cycle through the buttons to make it brighter. If I turn the headlamp switch to off, it doesn't do this.............................................
Are your headlights ON when this happens during the day?

Peter

Are your headlights ON when this happens during the day?

Peter

No. They are in Auto and not actually on. I think it's an issue with the can-bus interface thinking that the auto position equals the lights being on.

I have wanted to do this ever since I bought my explorer. I required 4WD so I spent the extra money on that instead of adding MyFordTouch. I currently have the 4” display with BT, USB, Aux In, Sat Radio and sync w/voice activation.

Someone mentioned “limited bt”. How limited? As long as my phone will connect and play audio and phone calls I’ll be good.

USB, I see in the video this unit connects to the current OEM usb so I should be good,

I don’t remember seeing in the video but I assume the AUX In will also continue to work?

Apparently the unit does not support any type of SAT Radio my if I installed this unit I would be sol ?

As far as the units internet ability I assume that usb device he installed was just a WiFi receiver that could connect to a Verizon jet pack or hotspot from my phone?

Outdoor temperature display still works?

If no sat radio capable what are my alternate options, sat rad is a huge thing for me. I guess I could add the streaming service to my sat subscription and play sat rad via an app on the device.

I have wanted to do this ever since I bought my explorer. I required 4WD so I spent the extra money on that instead of adding MyFordTouch. I currently have the 4” display with BT, USB, Aux In, Sat Radio and sync w/voice activation.

Someone mentioned “limited bt”. How limited? As long as my phone will connect and play audio and phone calls I’ll be good.

USB, I see in the video this unit connects to the current OEM usb so I should be good,

I don’t remember seeing in the video but I assume the AUX In will also continue to work?

Apparently the unit does not support any type of SAT Radio my if I installed this unit I would be sol ?

As far as the units internet ability I assume that usb device he installed was just a WiFi receiver that could connect to a Verizon jet pack or hotspot from my phone?

Outdoor temperature display still works?

If no sat radio capable what are my alternate options, sat rad is a huge thing for me. I guess I could add the streaming service to my sat subscription and play sat rad via an app on the device.
Which "trim Level" do you have? I'm guessing it is the Base? Please update your profile by adding the now required "Trim Level" so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

yeah the base model, forgot to add that to my profile.

Is there anything available right now for a base 2017? I would love to upgrade to a touchscreen.

Back