95' 4.0 explorer sport fuel pump keeps running no start..~FIX! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95' 4.0 explorer sport fuel pump keeps running no start..~FIX!

Thxs guys! i have three projects going at the same time so it may be a little before I get back on this (Remodeling my basement, running gas line to stove and this Truck)

I'd do the compression test on all cylinders before messing with the cam sensor/synchronizer. Much easier to do and it will prove whether your timing chain and camshaft are functioning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok folks...I have done everything above, sometimes three times and I still have the fuel pump priming and never shutting off! UGH!
That again as said above will not let the engine fire. Again so you don't have to reread all posts....Turn key to on, not start position, pump runs and runs and runs, will not shut off to allow engine to start.

I've tried just about everything as stated in posts.

My question is does the fuel tank need to be sealed completely to get fuel from the tank to the Rail (injectors) I'm thinking when I changed the fuel pump I hard a very hard time taking off the Inlet fuel hose with those stupid Plastic squeeze type clips but finally had to break it to get it off. Then the bigger outlet line from the pump itself I had the same issue but got it off and re bent the metal clip that holds the hose in place back to original and it worked, holding the line in place.

Like I said in first post after replacing fuel pump and Fuel filter the truck started right up, no issues. ran it down to the gas station to fill take, started right up again, drove around a bit to make sure it was good and hot and it ran great. Came home, shut it off then tried to start it in the morning and thats when the pump ran and ran but no start.

I need to add that before I changed those items I had to let the pump run longer and longer (Minutes) before it would shut off to be able to start.

Tried just about everything, it's been a great truck but i'm at the point of throwing too much money at a simple fix but don't wanna give up on this truck as it's been very good to us. WTF could it be?!?!?

Thank-you all, really appreciate the help, I really do!.

Bill

Forgot to add....I have 40lbs fuel pressure at the rail...Just in the on position no start

ok, check to see if the fuel pump relay has fused it's contacts closed.

One easy way is, while the fuel pump is running, whack the relay with the handle of a screwdriver. If the pump turns off the relay may be getting old and sticking.
Also, try pulling the relay and swap it with another one like it in the power distribution box. see if the "no turn off" problem moves to the new circuit.
This might help determine if it is a bad relay or something else.

I forgot to mention I tried that. when I pull the fuel pump relay it shuts off, when I put a different one in it's place it keeps running too.

Question; when I crank the engine what RPM should I at least get while cranking?
The needle barely moves but I thought with the low cranking RPM's it wouldn't register hardly anything anyways.

But even if the problem was the distributor (Or distributor related) why would that cause the pump to keep running?

I forgot to mention I tried that. when I pull the fuel pump relay it shuts off, when I put a different one in it's place it keeps running too.

Question; when I crank the engine what RPM should I at least get while cranking?
The needle barely moves but I thought with the low cranking RPM's it wouldn't register hardly anything anyways.

But even if the problem was the distributor (Or distributor related) why would that cause the pump to keep running?

I wouldn't expect to see much RPM registering on the tach while cranking. It's insignificant.

37-40 PSI of fuel pressure at the rail is about right for a '95.

Gets worse. Forgot to take my wedding band off while working on the truck, Over left bank, never hit the concrete (Was very quiet in the garage) took 3 hrs trying to locate it to no avail. Yes very expensive piece for 1oz metal that is worth 3 times the value of the truck...UGH!!!!

Going to take starter off to see if it fell between block and starter, then piece it apart to locate. Who knows? maybe there's a reason I lost it. to try and find the issue with the truck.
Yes going to take upper manifold off to get to distributer.
Still being positive about this, I will find the issue.

I finally figured it out!
When I was taking the Upper air plenum off to get to the distributer I had to take all the wire connections off, so I thought what the heck, I'll try and re hook up the battery and see if the Fuel pump shuts off after couple seconds. Sure enough it did! So one by one I started hooking up the connections and BAM! it was the friggen EGR pressure feedback sensor (Pictured) I by passed it, put everything back together and it started right up!! YEAH!

Oh I did find my ring, it had bounced into the wheel well cover and slid down to the chassis...LOL

5S2046__ra_p.jpg

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me fix the issue, I knew it was something simple by the way it ran just before I shut it off.
THANK-YOU FOLKS FOR YOUR TIME!
Bill

Back