Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

I have a 2017 explorer sport, and noticed that the treadblocks are starting to flake off pretty badly. Little frustrating with only 12K on the clock. Anyone know if the stock tires come with any treadwear warranty (or if I should even bother the dealer with this)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 explorer sport, and noticed that the treadblocks are starting to flake off pretty badly. Little frustrating with only 12K on the clock. Anyone know if the stock tires come with any treadwear warranty (or if I should even bother the dealer with this)?
In the package of documents you received with the vehicle is a pamphlet on Tire Warranty that shows various brands of tires and what is and isn't covered.

Peter

They have a 50K treadwear warranty from Hankook except - 5) This warranty is not applicable to original equipment tires.

http://www.hankooktire.com/us/servi...placement-warranty/passenger-light-truck.html

Check your vehicle warranty manuals as suggested above to see what Ford will cover.

I bought my 15 Ex Sport used about a month ago and it has falken ziex ct50 tires on them with pretty decent tread life on them. I am guessing the first owner replaced the OEM ones with these. So far these seem pretty good. I probably won't truly know until I replace these with different tires when these wear out.

Replaced the front two Hankook Ventus s1 Noble at 22,000. Should have replaced around 18,000. What I read was that Hankook doesn't warranty OEM tires. anyone experience different? When I spoke to my dealer they said tires aren't covered and I'm better off buying tires somewhere else because of the markup, at least he was honest about their prices. Replaced the front two with the cheapest thing I could find. I hope my back tires hold out another 6 months until my lease is up and it's time to pick out something else. Like everyone else said- not interested in explorer if they use Hankook again.

......... When I spoke to my dealer they said tires aren't covered and I'm better off buying tires somewhere else because of the markup, at least he was honest about their prices.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I find it very interesting as to what the dealer said to you about buying tires elsewhere. I've seen Ford advertising saying "We won't be undersold on tires" or something similar. I bought a set of Winter tires at my dealer for less than a popular automotive store here which usually has low prices. I also lease my vehicles and you may have a slight problem when returning the Explorer with mismatched tires since the tires will not be able to be rotated as per the Manual and the dealer will in all likely hood have to replace all four. Replacement tires should also have the same size, load index, speed rating and type (such as P-metric versus LT-metric or all-season versus all-terrain) as those originally provided by Ford. Different tires could have different handling characteristics as well which could negatively affect an AWD vehicle. Good luck.

Peter

Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018 - Explorer - Hankook Brand Tire - Chipping, Cutting And/Or Unusual/Accelerated Tread Wear

Some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit chipping, cutting and/or unusual or even accelerated tread wear. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement. This may not be the result of improper alignment.

I just put my winters on and have noticed the tread is disappearing faster than it should. New, they are 9/32 tread. My tread ranges between 6-7/32, and they only have 10000km (6000 miles). I did most of that driving this summer season as we drove half way across Canada and back again, but it's mostly just city driving. I bought the car late August 2016 and put winters on in early November, so I've driven on these for 9 months total now. I'm guessing I've got two more years on them as dedicated spring-fall tires.

Once they wear out, I'll definitely buy something else. Outside the abnormally fast wear, haven't really had any complaints about them. They came with the car, may as well use them up.

I will chime in again after my Hankook tire experience. Three were replaced under warranty for out of round issues at around 6,000 miles by the Ford dealer at no charge. Now at 20,000 miles the lone survivor (passenger front) is losing small chunks of rubber and flaking from the various treads, the other 3 have worn pretty well. I am DONE with Hankook regardless even if I got a free replacement. The warranty on the OEM is actually better than the warranty Hankook shows on line so I have no idea why a Ford dealer would say that they are not warranted, look at the warranty book included with the car, page 28 on the 2017 warranty book. During the first 25% of tire wear it will be replaced FREE, then they go into a prorated charge.

Nov 8 2017 5584 - 2015-2018 - Explorer - Hankook Brand Tire - Chipping, Cutting And/Or Unusual/Accelerated Tread Wear

Some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit chipping, cutting and/or unusual or even accelerated tread wear. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement. This may not be the result of improper alignment.
When was that TSB issued and is there a link or a way to print it

Hello

I bought a 2016 Sport with Hancook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires from a dealer. The SUV has 25500 miles but the tires are nearly bald. How's that possible.
I failed to notice them while buying the car and I have to spend $1000 on new set of 4 tires.

Is it possible that the tires were replaced before they were sold to me.

Thanks

Hello

I bought a 2016 Sport with Hancook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires from a dealer. The SUV has 25500 miles but the tires are nearly bald. How's that possible.
I failed to notice them while buying the car and I have to spend $1000 on new set of 4 tires.

Is it possible that the tires were replaced before they were sold to me.

Thanks
Welcome to the 5th gen. Forum:wave:
I have moved your thread to this existing one. I think the thread title will answer your question.
Wow, 3 posts in 10 years! I have a feeling that will change soon. Perhaps you can check with the dealer and see if there is anything they would be willing to do in helping with the cost of new rubber. Do you still have the '98 XLT shown in your profile?

Peter

I have moved your thread to this existing one. I think the thread title will answer your question.
Wow, 3 posts in 10 years! I have a feeling that will change soon. Perhaps you can check with the dealer and see if there is anything they would be willing to do in helping with the cost of new rubber. Do you still have the '98 XLT shown in your profile?

Peter

Thanks, I still have the 98 sport at 235,000 running strong no repairs besides maintenance. Hence bought the 2016 sport. I thought every sport model now came with sunroof, apparently not and never bothered to check while picking up the car but too late now. But the 2016 sport runs/feels better than my BMW 5 series. I am thoroughly impressed with the smoothness of the ride as well as the sportiness.

Thanks

Peter
Thanks, I still have the 98 sport at 235,000 miles still running strong no repairs besides maintenance. Hence bought the 2016 sport. I thought every sport model now came with sunroof, apparently not and never bothered to check while picking up the car but too late now. But the 2016 sport runs/feels better than my BMW 5 series. I am thoroughly impressed with the smoothness of the ride as well as the sportiness.

Thanks

Thanks, I still have the 98 sport at 235,000 running strong no repairs besides maintenance. Hence bought the 2016 sport. I thought every sport model now came with sunroof, apparently not and never bothered to check while picking up the car but too late now. But the 2016 sport runs/feels better than my BMW 5 series. I am thoroughly impressed with the smoothness of the ride as well as the sportiness.

Thanks
It would be helpful then to add the 2016 Sport to a signature so members will know you have it and you won't have to include that info in every post. That Ecoboost engine was introduced to the Explorer lineup with the 2013 Sport. The 2016/17 Platinum has it as well now. Happy motoring.

Peter

Well I bit the bullet - Got Michelin Defenders installed yesterday, $1100 at Discount tire. As others have said, what a difference in ride and quietness and handling. Very impressed. Hankooks are junk, they were all chipped and delaminating at 22,500 miles. Thats disgraceful on a new car. Didn't bother going to the dealer about the Service manager bulletin as 1 year from now I d have the same issue. Those with the OEMs looking for replacements, I can recommend the Defenders....

8500 miles on Hankook Ventus Nobles. Tread is peeling away on all four tires. After some debate with the local Ford dealer, I'm being credited with the full replacement value of the Hankooks. It doesn't appear that these tires are a good match for the Explorer. I'm looking at either the Pirelli Scorpion Verde or the Michelin Defenders.

rlYJEyMVLt.jpg

8500 miles on Hankook Ventus Nobles. Tread is peeling away on all four tires. After some debate with the local Ford dealer, I'm being credited with the full replacement value of the Hankooks. It doesn't appear that these tires are a good match for the Explorer. I'm looking at either the Pirelli Scorpion Verde or the Michelin Defenders.
Your post was moved to this thread on the Ventus tire. Also, check out post #107 above re replacement. I have also mentioned a few times that the Hankook tires Ford is using on the Explorer is classified by Hankook as a passenger car tire. They have a different one for the SUV.

Peter

rlYJEyMVLt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact issue with the one Hankook tire that was not replaced due to being out of round with 21k miles on it. I just ordered Michelin Premier tires from Tire Rack as I am done with Hankook. I would think that Ford would never want to re-live the Firestone debacle from the mid 1990's. We are contemplating buying another 2018 Explorer, anyone know what tire is OEM on the 2018 Sport or Platinum model? The pictures on the web for 2018 models show a different tread pattern than the 2017 models.

Back